D-Link DIR-880L

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
ridilen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:58    Post subject: ttl to router Reply with quote
Hey yasfinite,

You need a USB to TTL converter, NOT a serial converter. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL-CH340-Auto-Converter-Module-Serial-Port-Arduino-STC-TA-02L-/221276401941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338519f115&_uhb=1

Read through the previous pages and you will get an idea what to do.

In short, add a connector to the solder points inside the router, connect your computer to the router using the USB to TTL, and connect using something like like MOBA XTERM. I believe the settings are 9600 N81. Then when you are connected enter "erase nvram". This should reset your router to the point where it is bootable.

Immediately load a previous known good version.

If you reload the factory firmware "erase nvram" will not work, it is not an available command. If you did this reload factory-to-ddwrt.bin through the emergency recovery, then you should be able to run "erase nvram".

I found that the router would not boot with the converter connected to the router. You may have to turn the router on and then connect the converter.

Hope this helps.

Ridilen
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google dd-wrt serial recovery for the correct settings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
lozztech wrote:
Does anyone have a TTL cable and a DIR-868L they don't mind experimenting with? I think the problem with the latest DD-WRT releases for this router is nvram related. Shibby the Tomato developer discovered this router bricks when the nvram usage hits a certain point. That's why his roms are bastardized to keep nvram usage to a minimum. If the newer DD-WRT roms have higher usage than the older working roms then this could be the smoking gun.

Warning I would advise that only someone with a TTL cable do the following experiment as this problem will likely hard brick the router causing recovery not to boot. You'll then need to access the cfe prompt and do an 'nvram erase', to get it booting again.

My idea is to get a working 868L and set an nvram variable with 1KB of data and rebooting. Repeating the process and seeing at what point the router gets stuck in a boot loop (if it does at all). I'm not so knowledgeable but I'm guessing you can telnet into the router and use an "nvram set experiment1= " followed by 1024 random characters, followed by an 'nvram commit'. After rebooting repeat the process with 'experiment2= ' and another 1024 characters, and so on and so forth. Each reboot noting the nvram usage and noting at which point the router bricks.

This may also apply to the DIR-880L and possibly other D-Link routers. I'm guessing the implementation of a recovery mode by D-Link might be the reason there's an arbitrary limit to the nvram (less than the 64KB partition size).

I posted the above in the DIR-868L thread. Someone might want to try this on an 880L.
yasfinite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
slimbig wrote:
My DIR-880L is still bricked, I tried using DB9 to perform a serial recovery but no matter what I do I get garbled output/input

- RX/TX/GND are connected correctly
- I'm using 115200, 8, 1, none, none for com port settings
- I tried all standard budrates with no luck, also flow control, bits, etc. none worked

Please if you do know how to overcome the garbled text issue using DB9 please let me know I would much appreciate it

From the look of it DB9 won't do it I'll need a USB to TTL cable/converter

I'm so disappointed, I'll be lucky if I can get my hands on one of those where I'm living, ordering from Amazon or else can cost me much (international shipping, local customs, taxes, additional fees)

Could you send a picture of which TTL cables go where on the 880L? Thanks a bunch, I just tried to recover my router using the recovery page but it didn't work so now I need to recover using TTL. Also I am trying to open it up but it seem I can't how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
yasfinite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 22:33    Post subject: Re: ttl to router Reply with quote
ridilen wrote:
Hey yasfinite,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL-CH340-Auto-Converter-Module-Serial-Port-Arduino-STC-TA-02L-/221276401941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338519f115&_uhb=1

In short, add a connector to the solder points inside the router, connect your computer to the router using the USB to TTL, and connect using something like like MOBA XTERM. I believe the settings are 9600 N81. Then when you are connected enter "erase nvram". This should reset your router to the point where it is bootable.

If you reload the factory firmware "erase nvram" will not work, it is not an available command. If you did this reload factory-to-ddwrt.bin through the emergency recovery, then you should be able to run "erase nvram".

I found that the router would not boot with the converter connected to the router. You may have to turn the router on and then connect the converter.

Hope this helps.

Ridilen

Could you send a picture of which TTL cables go where on the 880L? Thanks a bunch, I just tried to recover my router using the recovery page but it didn't work so now I need to recover using TTL. Also I am trying to open it up but it seems I can't, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
yasfinite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01    Post subject: Re: ttl to router Reply with quote
ridilen wrote:
Hey yasfinite,

Hope this helps.

Ridilen

Just managed to open it up, however, I can't find the pin connectors on the actual 880L motherboard. There doesn't seem to be any metal connecting pins on the motherboard which will allow me to connect the TTL USB adapter. Please help!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably have to solder the pins in.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The pins are there, go back a few pages in this same thread there are pictures posted showing where they are and how to connect them to the TTL end, BTW there is only 1 HW revision of the 880L so you have the same board, you will need jumper cable or something similar to connect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a picture posted a few pages back with no pins.
From page 10. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=36614

Read this page to find which hole is what. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1049680&sid=4fafca0d6f8ac34f1e6f886b7a653c8b

You need to do some work yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
There is a picture posted a few pages back with no pins.
From page 10. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=36614

Read this page to find which hole is what. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1049680&sid=4fafca0d6f8ac34f1e6f886b7a653c8b

You need to do some work yourself.

Thanks for the help! I've noticed some users saying that soldering actually isn't required, and that simply placing the pins into the designated holes is all that is required. Would this be ok, since I don't have a soldering kit?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try it. If it's not ok, it won't work, then you'll have to buy a soldering iron.
IMO it and an uart to USB adapter should be in all dd-wrt users possession.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try it. If it's not ok, it won't work, then you'll have to buy a soldering iron.

Looking for pins on ebay, is there a specific sort of PCB pin that is required?
merrow75
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
yasfinite wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Looking for pins on ebay, is there a specific sort of PCB pin that is required?

Are you looking to solder pins / pin header or are you looking for a solution without soldering?

For a solderless solution, 2.54mm male pin headers coupled with cables (dupont male / female) to suit your ttl-usb adapter would be one option.
Xentrk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, please see my posts on pages 9 and 10 for how to connect the ttl cable to the router, along with pins used and photos. Sorry to see this is still going on. I will stay put on firmware versions until this gets cleared up.
slimbig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, hopefully BrainSlayer look in it, it has been many releases with the same issue already

Navigation

Jump to: