D-Link DIR-880L

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
paszczak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like everything after r30432 bricks router.

I've tried:

They all flash ok, but after enabling SSHd and rebooting router we've got blinking red light and the only solutin is to nvram erase thru serial console.

Currently running 30432 - seems to work fine with SSHd enabled

silicon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back to r30432 here as well. Filed a trouble ticket although given the length of time issue has existed doesn't seem like it will get resolved.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/5792
gvilkas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
After having sifted through numerous forum messages, and endless wikis I have concluded that it is just about impossible for a mortal person to determine what if any hardware product is actively being supported by dd-wrt and has current builds that are guaranteed to work. Its a shame. This was a great OS in its day but then Telnet was great communication tool too once upon a time. Time to move on to something that can explain itself folks. Spending hours and hours... no days and days just to find a load that does not crash the router is just not worth it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
gvilkas wrote:
After having sifted through numerous forum messages, and endless wikis I have concluded that it is just about impossible for a mortal person to determine what if any hardware product is actively being supported by dd-wrt and has current builds that are guaranteed to work. Its a shame. This was a great OS in its day but then Telnet was great communication tool too once upon a time. Time to move on to something that can explain itself folks. Spending hours and hours... no days and days just to find a load that does not crash the router is just not worth it.

If you want a router that is actively supported, it's not hard to see from the forum.
Stick with the major brands, meaning not the cheapest. If choosing between the dir-880l and the netgear r7000 with basically the same specs, the r7000 will have a bigger user base.
So try to stick with netgear or asus. The Linksys wrt series are a little problematic.
The r7800 from netgear is well supported. The rt-ac68 variants are.
The newer asus are locked down from asus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed that it is simple to determine which hardware is being actively supported by briefly reviewing the forum however the issue is that new builds have been posted for months which soft-brick the router. With all due respect to the DD-WRT team, if support for any router is going to end that is totally fine but it is only reasonable to request they also stop posting unstable builds and pull the router from the supported list.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
All the builds are beta. If the router is supported list that means there is a build that will work on it. Some work better than others.
If you find one that works, stay with it. You aren't forced to update.
I've got a linksys ea9200 that hasn't had a new linksys firmware in 5 months. Probably won't have anymore.

You want a brand that releases firmware for years? Buy asus but be prepared to spend more for better quality.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
My other router is Asus and it works well. My comments were mainly for the benefit of other users as I suspect not everyone is comfortable with the recovery process. I don't agree with blaming the end user for updating firmware when no warnings are given. Given that the current builds for months, including the most recent build, all result in a bricked router, that doesn't really meet the definition of beta testing. I make no demands for support for the 880L, as I've stated its totally fine if support is dropped but I don't think anyone is served by continuing to post builds which have zero chance of being functional.
slimbig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
silicon wrote:
My other router is Asus and it works well. My comments were mainly for the benefit of other users as I suspect not everyone is comfortable with the recovery process. I don't agree with blaming the end user for updating firmware when no warnings are given. Given that the current builds for months, including the most recent build, all result in a bricked router, that doesn't really meet the definition of beta testing. I make no demands for support for the 880L, as I've stated its totally fine if support is dropped but I don't think anyone is served by continuing to post builds which have zero chance of being functional.

I entirely agree, thank you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 15:16    Post subject: Possible reason of Out of Memory / Bricking issue Reply with quote
Hello to everyone.

I want to share with you some insight that can help us to understand what's going on with our DIR-880L routers.

I have the DIR-880L V1. And I put the latest working version on my router (r30432), and all seemed fine. But I was getting an stuck router in about an hour or two. With syslogd, I could see that the problem was an Out of Memory situation, where the router begins to unload everything, until all is unoperable.

So, I began to to revert versions. And I found something interesting.

The last version that works perfect, without out of memory issues after some time, is 01-02-2016-r28647 (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/01-02-2016-r28647/dlink-dir880l/). And this is important: This is the last release with Kernel 3.X. Everything after this release is Kernel 4.X, and causes OoM after some time. Router has been wiped several times, and I can confirm 100% that the issue with V1 is Kernel 4.X.

So, I would bet that the bricking issue is related with Kernel 4.X. If we could just make a build with newer dd-wrt code but with Kernel 3.X as the only change, I think we could get some good results.

Also, I would like to share that r28647 is really perfect. I fully recommend it. The Wifi signal in 5 Ghz goes strong and stable too, so, it is evident that fixed Wifi drivers are included on this release. In other words, I'm not losing anything sticking with this release instead of r30432 (The last reported as working).

Please, share with me your thoughts. Maybe we can build a version with Kernel 3.X, or ask the maintainer to regress the Kernel change in our Router, for testing.

Have a nice day! Very Happy
Hans Gruber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice find. Now you come to mention it I did notice some performance issues when DD-WRT switched to kernel 4.x but I had forgotten about it until you brought it back up. Sadly I can't remember exactly what they were now.

The reason I'd stopped using build r30432 (on my DIR-868L) was because after a while the webui would stop loading correctly, especially after changing settings. So it sounds like you could be onto something with it running out of memory.
marteline
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 14:09    Post subject: best WiFi settings... Reply with quote
So, paszczak and silicone... I just update to r30432 and I am wondering if the beamforming and other wifi settings really Works and what is the best configuration for it,,, Also, any AD-killer script sugestion?

thanks a lot...
paszczak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I have just placed DIR-880L with r30432 as main router:

Wifi (2g/5g)
PPTP Server
DDNS
SSHd
some local DNS and DNSMasq and static leases
some port forwarders

Will see if it work for at least 2/3hrs.
Smile

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, complete noob here. I recently got a DIR880L v. A2 and wanted to throw ddwrt on there because I hear the stock firmware sucks.

Can anyone confirm the latest working/stable release for A2? Also, where can I download the firmware? I'm looking at the ddwrt website and there's only one option available (v24 sp2 - 26654 beta, apparently for A1 only).

Also, I have a couple questions about flashing since this is probably one of the most expensive router I ever bought and I really want to avoid bricking it.

1) For this particular model, there appears to be two files. I'm assuming I do the "factory-to-ddwrt" first, followed by "dir-880 webflash," correct?

2) When should I do the 30-30-30 hard reset? Once at the very beginning, or between each step as well?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
kqli06
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, so I eventually went with the 29396 release and got everything working. No bricks even after multiple resets and I can connect all my devices to the router just fine. However, performance is widely unstable. With my old router setup, I could hit consistent download speeds of around 2.6-3.2MB/s. With the new setup + ddwrt, the speed seems to sporadically drop, so it now averages about 1-1.6MB/s. The highest I got it to was 2.0MB/s, and the lowest was 300KB/s. Point being, it's kind of unstable and slow(er), which is a bit disappointing. I see others with the same 29396 build and they seem to have great performance, so maybe this was more of a settings issue? I haven't really touched the defaults other than change wireless security settings to WPA2 Personal Mixed / TKIP&AES. I also tried out the explicit/implicit beamforming, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Any thoughts/comments/advice?
paszczak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
kqli06: I think You can safly try build 30432 - this works fine, stable and wifi transfers are ok (WIFI - LAN on 802.1n - i've got 20MB/s)

Running stable for 7days as main router

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/08-16-2016-r30432/dlink-dir880l/

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: