D-Link DIR-880L

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Wetzel wrote:
do you know if these Kong release support the new toys and features that were added to the new BS release, such as this DNSSEC\DNSCrypt I was reading about?
Kong and BS builds are based on the same source, so yes. They use the same SVN changeset references.

Thanks! The real question is will the new Kong builds (from 2017) brick the DIR-880L? Similar to how the new BS builds do.
Sponsor
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wetzel wrote:
shayne85 wrote:
So I am going to take the plunge and install DD-WRT on the A2 version of the DIR-880L.

I'm going to try the 08-16-2016-r30432 build based on this thread recommendations.

Do I just use the D-Link website interface or the Emergency Room to load the factory to dd-wrt file?

And I'll ask again - does anyone have a recommendations on the Kong builds?

Thanks!

I may not be exactly correct about this, but from what I have read here for some times, the Kong builds are generally designed for Asus/Netgear routers, specifically the Nighthawk models.

As for the Dir880, I just got done installing the 30432 build without a single issue.

I removed the previous router, connected the new one, used DHCP to pull the ip/dns/gw, went to the GUI, then flashed with the factory-to-ddwrt. After that, had no WAN working at all, but this is normal (red light on Inet LED). Went right to the Firmware upgrade tab and put the full firmware on. Rebooted comp after the router rebooted, set the adapter back to static ip/dns/gw, set up wireless, encryption, VPN, etc, and all works perfectly fine.

Just a FYI, I chose not to do any hard resetting whatsoever. It is up to you if you want to bother doing that or not.

I also made sure to turn off SSH, Telnet and Sputnick, as well as some other things I know I won't use much just to be on the safe side. Telnet should be just fine, didn't read any issues with that, but SSH has been the major problem with bricking on many later versions and I didn't want to take any chances even on 30432.

Thanks for this - I've been running r30432 for 5 days now with no issues on the DIR-880L A2. I factory reset the router in the native firmware, then upgraded using the native web GUI with the factory to ddwrt bin. I then factory reset it using the dd-wrt web GUI, then upgraded to the full web flash bin file. Then I did erase nvram via telnet for the 3rd and final factory reset. Then I configured the PPPOE internet, port forwarding, VPN server, etc.

All works well. So there's a new BS build out today, anyone try it on their DIR-880L yet?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=310760&sid=4e857e5c822266da1476ac2c12f32640
jsrivard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37    Post subject: Features r30432 vs r29396 Reply with quote
I have r29396 running and working well on my 880l A1. I see many reporting that r30432 is the latest version that works on the 880l. I'm hesitant to update however as I've read a bunch of posts regarding issues people have had. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Am I getting better features with r30432 that I will be missing out on by staying with r29396? One thing I have noticed with r29396 is that when I set up static IPs for access restrictions my 880l will not issue IP addresses via DHCP for guests who visit. Maybe updating will fix this?
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15    Post subject: Re: Features r30432 vs r29396 Reply with quote
jsrivard wrote:
I have r29396 running and working well on my 880l A1. I see many reporting that r30432 is the latest version that works on the 880l. I'm hesitant to update however as I've read a bunch of posts regarding issues people have had. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Am I getting better features with r30432 that I will be missing out on by staying with r29396? One thing I have noticed with r29396 is that when I set up static IPs for access restrictions my 880l will not issue IP addresses via DHCP for guests who visit. Maybe updating will fix this?

Nah, shouldn't be anything worth to update. If you want to go further try Kong build.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
Wetzel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09    Post subject: Re: Features r30432 vs r29396 Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Nah, shouldn't be anything worth to update. If you want to go further try Kong build.

Xeon, what about this DNSCrypt and DNSSEC on the newer builds added in the last week or so, is this needed if you use a VPN? In my case, as is the case with 99% of them, there is massive encryption and security on their servers.

Just something to add to what you said too. There may not be a reason RIGHT NOW to update depending on the needs of the individual. However, I have Native ISP IPv6 support and I want to use all of this when my VPN service has their IPv6 benefits ready to go soon. They have been doing tests on their test servers (6in4)and are soon going to roll it out on OpenVPN 2.4, which is what they were waiting on mostly so people can use Native ISP. This is going to be a real downer for users like myself, since I won't be able to upgrade onto 2.4 due to all these bricking issues Crying or Very sad

I think in order for this to be resolved, Kong/BS will have to break it all down into the smallest pieces and go over it in huge detail. Because, clearly, something since 30432 was added that these D-Link routers just refuse to work with properly. It is anyone's guess though if they will want to take the time to dedicate that much time to one model.

I really like this router a lot, and the main reason I got it is because it outright and officially supports DDWRT, whereas others like Linksys for example started ditching support and forcing users to use their proprietary wrt firmware.
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 15:29    Post subject: Re: Features r30432 vs r29396 Reply with quote
Wetzel wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Xeon, what about this DNSCrypt and DNSSEC on the newer builds added in the last week or so, is this needed if you use a VPN? In my case, as is the case with 99% of them, there is massive encryption and security on their servers.

Just something to add to what you said too. There may not be a reason RIGHT NOW to update depending on the needs of the individual. However, I have Native ISP IPv6 support and I want to use all of this when my VPN service has their IPv6 benefits ready to go soon. They have been doing tests on their test servers (6in4)and are soon going to roll it out on OpenVPN 2.4, which is what they were waiting on mostly so people can use Native ISP. This is going to be a real downer for users like myself, since I won't be able to upgrade onto 2.4 due to all these bricking issues Crying or Very sad

I think in order for this to be resolved, Kong/BS will have to break it all down into the smallest pieces and go over it in huge detail. Because, clearly, something since 30432 was added that these D-Link routers just refuse to work with properly. It is anyone's guess though if they will want to take the time to dedicate that much time to one model.

I really like this router a lot, and the main reason I got it is because it outright and officially supports DDWRT, whereas others like Linksys for example started ditching support and forcing users to use their proprietary wrt firmware.

Actually you can update to Kong build which supports your router and Netgear routers that stop working with 30432, work with Kong. "Should" be the same with yours.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 15:43    Post subject: Re: Features r30432 vs r29396 Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
Wetzel wrote:
Xeon2k8 wrote:

Actually you can update to Kong build which supports your router and Netgear routers that stop working with 30432, work with Kong. "Should" be the same with yours.

Actually according to this thread below for the DIR-868, the new Kong builds also brick the D-Link routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=172121&start=465
PacketLoss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 20:18    Post subject: 880L blinking death - still. Reply with quote
I have A1 and tried both Kong and BS versions, and they both will brink my device if SSH is enabled.

I did leave the console in when I upgraded to KONGs version.
Below output is when it died.

Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)
Loading: Failed.
Could not load :: Timeout occured
Dest=00008000, source =02000000, filename=nflash1.trx
Can't open [nflash1.trx]
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:nflash0.os: Options:(null)
Loading: Failed.
Could not load nflash0.os:: No name server configured

I needed SSH enabled so I can load YAmon3, and once I rebooted - brick.
novamxd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that 30342 is stable. I have two 880Ls and they've been running for quite a while uninterrupted.

AP03 - Status Snap - 20171017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.07 KB
 Viewed:  11032 Time(s)

AP03 - Status Snap - 20171017.jpg

AP02 - Status Snap - 20171017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.1 KB
 Viewed:  11032 Time(s)

AP02 - Status Snap - 20171017.jpg

nico62100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi from France,
I have a DIR-880L. I upgraded with version r33492 this week (because the KRACK fail), before that I used the r26653 and no problem during 10 month...
Today after some changes in configuration (added one DHCP static IP address) the router has bricked after I clicked on red "restart" button in the admin panel Sad
I tried to put ddwrt or original dlink firmware (.bin) in the "recovery mode" but after uploading it always go back to upload page so nothing seems to be done after uploading...
Tried with different browsers.
Is the router dead ?
Thanks
Nicolas
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
nico62100 wrote:
Hi from France,
I have a DIR-880L. I upgraded with version r33492 this week (because the KRACK fail), before that I used the r26653 and no problem during 10 month...
Today after some changes in configuration (added one DHCP static IP address) the router has bricked after I clicked on red "restart" button in the admin panel Sad
I tried to put ddwrt or original dlink firmware (.bin) in the "recovery mode" but after uploading it always go back to upload page so nothing seems to be done after uploading...
Tried with different browsers.
Is the router dead ?
Thanks
Nicolas

You flashed the firmware downloaded from the dd-wrt website? Is your 880L the revision A variant?

If the above is true, any firmware version after r30432 for the 880L downloaded from the dd-wrt website will send your DIR-880L into boot loop. I’m surprised you can actually flash to r33492.

From your description it looks like your 880L CFE is unable to find a working copy of a firmware and kept returning to the mini web server meant for recovery.

You likely have to order a 3.3v TTL USB to serial adapter and recover using the serial console. Then start over with the version of dd-wrt that works for you. Once your router is running any version of dd-wrt, download the latest firmware I’ve uploaded to flash into your 880L. See this post:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311716

Be sure to reset configuration back default and configure router from scratch again. Do not use old configurations with firmware versions that more than a year apart.

Btw, AFAIK, dd-wrt firmware for router with Broadcom wireless chipset is still not patched to resolve the KRACK vulnerability. Have to wait for Broadcom for that.

HTH
nico62100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again,
I downloaded the firmware here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/dlink-dir880l/
The hardware version is A1.
I flashed the webflash version from the web interface of the r26653 and it worked during one day ^^ so it looks to be luck in fact when I read this topic (i'm stupid I did not read forum before) so no chance to put anything by the emergency web interface ?
Regards
Nicolas
quarkysg
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
nico62100 wrote:
Hi again,
I downloaded the firmware here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/dlink-dir880l/
The hardware version is A1.
I flashed the webflash version from the web interface of the r26653 and it worked during one day ^^ so it looks to be luck in fact when I read this topic (i'm stupid I did not read forum before) so no chance to put anything by the emergency web interface ?
Regards
Nicolas

You can try downloading the factory-to-ddwrt.bin image for r30432 from the dd-wrt website and flashing it using the mini-web server. That may work. If that fails, you have to recover using a USB to serial adapter.

Hope your comfortable using a soldering iron if that’s the case.

Also you can try the following:

1. Push the reset button and power on the router while still pushing the reset button. Release the reset button after 10s.

2. Or while the router is on and the mini web server is accessible, push the reset button for about 10s and release.

After 1. and/or 2. try uploading the router stock firmware or the factory-to-ddwrt.bin firmware image (make sure it’s no later than r30432).

HTH.
nico62100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
Nothing seems to work I always go to the recovery page.
The router is under warranty so I don't want to open it.
I opened a Netgear support ticket I'll see what happens.
Thanks for your tips ! Wink
Nicolas
shayne85
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
nico62100 wrote:
Hi,
Nothing seems to work I always go to the recovery page.
The router is under warranty so I don't want to open it.
I opened a Netgear support ticket I'll see what happens.
Thanks for your tips ! Wink
Nicolas

Flashing 3rd party firmware to your router voids the warranty so you might as well open it up.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 21 of 26
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: