Asus RT-AC56U

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
zernok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 21:27    Post subject: Asus RT-AC56U Reply with quote
Hello Smile

I saw that the Asus RT-AC56U is marked as supported with dd-wrt. I am considering to buy one but since I had a bad experience in the past with another router marked as supported, I want to have the community's feedback about this router + dd-wrt.

Especially about these questions :
- I actually have 900Mbps-1Gbps bandwith, does dd-wrt handles it well on that router?
- Does both 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi works? (that was my main issue on my previous router: only 2.4Ghz did work...)

Thanks a lot for your help Smile
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you have gigabit internet, you are going to need either the R7800 or EA8500. I don't think any other routers supported by this firmware will support gigabit internet.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
petee_c
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a data point

i have the asus rt-ac56u router.

I am running the dd-wrt 42557 build on it. I am getting decent results. I don't have to reboot often.

I pay for the 400mbps service from my isp and I get around 350-410mbps throughput to the wired connections.

We did pay for 1gbps service a few years ago, I think the fastest I got with it was about 800gbps... not sure if that was the router, or the service. It was also a much older version of ddwrt (circa 2015?)

I use a linksys wrt3200acm as the wireless access point for it, as well as a tplink access point.

I don't recall too many issues with the wifi when I ran the wifi off the ac56u, it's just that I have the 3200acm and it apparently has better antenna array, and it was sitting unused.

Lately, I was getting fairly regular lag spikes while online gaming with it. I play 1st person shooters, but our internet has been getting quite the workout lately. My son plays on the xbox 1 at least 6hrs a day, and I play on the PC probably 3-4hrs daily. I work about 20hrs a week from home since September, and my work laptop vpn's into various hospitals.

Yesterday, We had a 5 minute break from the internet and unplugged the network router, modem and 2 hotspots for 5 minutes.... lag spikes seem to have resolved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: