Is it possible to crack Wi-Fi password?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
dodz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 23:59    Post subject: Is it possible to crack Wi-Fi password? Reply with quote
Asus RT-N16, DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega
I found unknown android devices in control panel.
Password was changed 2 days ago.
As far I know WPS is absent in DD-WRT. How can users log in to Wi-Fi if they don't know Wi-Fi password? I'm shure they can't know password from trusted users with office notebooks.

Help please!
Sponsor
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's only few information in your post. What encryption are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? What authentication? TKIP? AES? How long is your Key? Is it a safe key? Is there any option that android-clients could connect via ethernet to the router? At which place do you see the android devices in the control panel?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Getting a dhcp lease does not make them "in".
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
dodz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
There's only few information in your post. What encryption are you using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? What authentication? TKIP? AES? How long is your Key? Is it a safe key? Is there any option that android-clients could connect via ethernet to the router? At which place do you see the android devices in the control panel?

These are my wireless settings:

Key is alphanumeric and strong enogh. I think. Smile
I look for list of connected devices at Status|WAN and Status|Wireless pages.[/img]
dodz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Getting a dhcp lease does not make them "in".

It's very shocking for me! Wireless clients start with dhcp lease and only then authenticate?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know much about this, but how would a device communicate to authenticate if they were not connected?

You have nothing to worry about if you are using WPA2-aes with a reasonable passphrase.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf, DHCP is not a security feature. It's easy to use an manual IP-Address in the same subnet.

@dodz: Use Security Mode "WPA2 Personal" instead of "WPA2 Personal Mixed", or are you using clients which don't support AES? A full 64-character passphrase will be much more secure than a passphrase with only 11 characters.

I don't know why you're seeing any devices at Status->WAN. This site is not designed for showing connected devices. Please post a screenshot of it.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
Murrkf, DHCP is not a security feature. It's easy to use an manual IP-Address in the same subnet.

My point is that just because a device connects to the router, does not mean that it has any network access, as it still has to be authenticated.

dodz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
@dodz: Use Security Mode "WPA2 Personal" instead of "WPA2 Personal Mixed", or are you using clients which don't support AES? A full 64-character passphrase will be much more secure than a passphrase with only 11 characters.

Thanks for good advice!

mittelhessen wrote:
I don't know why you're seeing any devices at Status->WAN. This site is not designed for showing connected devices. Please post a screenshot of it.

I've made mistake. I'd write "Status|LAN" of course.
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Murrkf: DHCP has nothing to do with an authentication. If someone knows or cracked the passphrase, it will be very easy to use any IP-address in the same subnet. There is no DHCP necessary!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
@Murrkf: DHCP has nothing to do with an authentication. If someone knows or cracked the passphrase, it will be very easy to use any IP-address in the same subnet. There is no DHCP necessary!

This has nothing to do with what I am saying, which is the reverse of what you wrote. Just because someone has a connection to the router does not mean that they have been authenticated and have access to the Lan. In other words, if they don't know the passphrase, they can't get in.

mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You confuce the sequence! There're two different "connections". First of all, there's the wifi-connection. Second of all, there's the ip-connection. IP-connection doesn't play any role without having an established wifi-connection. So IP-adressing (including DHCP) doesn't play any role because it needs an established wifi- (or ethernet) connection.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the Security to WPA2 Only, not mixed.
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think, he already realized this?!

-->

dodz wrote:

mittelhessen wrote:

@dodz: Use Security Mode "WPA2 Personal" instead of "WPA2 Personal Mixed", ...

Thanks for good advice!
liverpoolatnight
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know is a pain but use Wireless MAC Filtering aswell with a nice storng wireless password like;

iloveddwrt##44##33#
etc etc

EE BrightBox 1 aka A4001N (OpenWrt 17.01.4)
Sagemcom FAST@5364 (VDSL2,FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) Synced 65/17

Twitter: @francisuk1989
---------------------------------
Found a bug? Report it http://svn.dd-wrt.com
DD-WRT Official FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493762527744455
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: