Connectiong lan router to wan router configuration question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bleepbleep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:39    Post subject: Connectiong lan router to wan router configuration question Reply with quote
Hey Folks -

I have 2 routers, a new att router, and my ddwrt linksys.

The att router I get internet through, and my ddwrt linksys is for my lan with a few computers connected to it.

Everything works fine, except that I have to keep switching networks to either access the internet, or access the computers on my lan.

What is the best way I could connect my ddwrt lan router, to the att wan router, so that I could stay on 1 network and access both the internet, and my lan computers without switching - and still keep my lan computers/files private from the wan?

The ddwrt is in repeater mode from an older setup I use to have but I will have no need for a repeater in this current setup, both routers are close together and I prefer to wire the ddwrt to the att router

Would I just change the ddwrt to access point mode, and make sure it's on a different subnet from the att router?

Thank you Very Happy
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would bridge the modem if possible and use own router for everything
bleepbleep
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
I would bridge the modem if possible and use own router for everything

This particular att router doesn't have a bridged mode. It does have a "cascading routers" section, but I haven't looked in to it much at this point.

I suppose I could wire the att router to the linksys, disable wifi on the att router, then use the linksys for everything.

My linksys is a little old and was never considered a great model, it is wrt54g2. It works fine for lan access, but it seems like it would be nice to use the new att router for wifi

Thanks for your reply I look forward to learning the best config for this setup
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure your dd-wrt router as an AP and connect it LAN-LAN with the att router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: