Asus RT-N16 fan mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
Registered_user
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 0:32    Post subject: Asus RT-N16 fan mod Reply with quote
I've searched best I could, but any detailed topics with pictures have expired years ago (broken links abound!)

My router recently died which started my crusade to fix and improve upon it. With research, I replaced the bulging capacitor which was the issue. With the help of these forums, I discovered cooling/fan mods.
I'm currently in the process of installing my own fans, but I need help with a power/soldering issue.

In a previous topic from a while ago, someone helpfully posted pictures of which leads to solder the wires to, particularly this:

Main_K wrote:
Here are my pics so far.

It was helpful, but I have to ask about my particular wiring issue.

In the poorly drawn attachment below, I have a fan controller wire that the fan (1.) connects into. The Fan Controller plug (2.) is obvious, which leaves the plug to the motherboard (3.) which I would be soldering to the power leads on the router.

But in the example picture above, the wires being soldered are red and black. The cables on (3.) are yellow and black. Are they still to be soldered in the same place as the above picture, or does the yellow wire specifically (or both wires!) need to be soldered elsewhere?

As long as the house doesn't burn down, I'll appreciate the help!
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is tons of stuff on Cooling fans for RT-N16.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=449551#449551

Just search this forum.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
There is tons of stuff on Cooling fans for RT-N16.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=449551#449551

Just search this forum.

redhawk

I visited that topic in my travels. I would have liked it more, but none of the pictures were available. Sad
The main thing I noted in my research is that I think I jumped aboard the mod-train 2 years too late, because almost all the topics I found on the subject of RT-N16s and mods were old. Almost all of them had broken image links.
I've since continued on my crusade to fix my router.

Story time!

I needed a laundry list of things before I could even get started. Among the things I needed were a
    soldering iron and some solder.
In hindsight, had I known that everything else I'd need had to be ordered online, I would have just ordered the soldering stuff for cheaper there instead of spending $30+ at RadioShack.
    Bought three 120mm case fans.
1st one came with a controller switch which I ultimately gave up on because I couldn't figure out which wires to solder. I ended up cutting it up to deal with just the red and black wires. But then I realized I could just cut up the fan port and solder that to the main board instead of having to butcher a fan itself. This is where I came to buy 2 more fans (Newegg had a sale!)
    Got a switch from Radioshack so I could turn the fan off and on manually.

I was able to borrow a Dremel tool (which is really handy!) so I bought about $12 worth of heads I needed for my task.

Heatsinks (or "cooling fins" since that is an entirely different search term which yields better shopping results.)

Arctic Silver thermal adhesive to apply the heat sinks/cooling fins

A broken RT-N16 I got off of ebay for $10.

This was to get extend the height of the router so that I could put the case fan in comfortably.
Basically, I just popped the top off mine and the bottom off the broken one and glued them together to make a taller router.
I'm glad I did this step because when I tried my hand at soldering the blown capacitor off and putting the new one on, I either must have broken something or found there to be a deeper problem that I couldn't figure out. After the new capacitor was on, it still wouldn't turn on. I felt rather defeated at this point.
Realizing I had another broken router to play with, I found that it too had a bulging cap. I replaced that with a new cap and turned it on to see the results. Success!
Now it was just a matter of dremeling a lot, screwing up a lot, and praying that my lack of electrical knowledge wouldn't burn the house down.

Quote:

All the main components in place

With everything put together with screws, glue, and hope.

Plugged in and running!

LEDs are almost too bright in the dark!

I could have purchased a new router for $80 ($70 after mail-in rebate) on Newegg. $98+ in tools and parts plus a month later, I have fixed a two-year old router instead.
Cost-efficient? No. Am I an idiot with my money? Probably.
Everything seems operational. I'm online, wifi is working, I haven't had any fires as of yet!

I do have a question though. In another forum, someone mentioned something about changing the ac adapter to one that puts out more amps.
Almost as if it was one of the first aftermarkety, overclocky things you could do the router.
Is this actually a thing? If so, what do I look for and purchase?
The default one is an I.T.E. Power supply with Input of 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 0.5A
Output: 12 V - 1.25 A
And I mentioned how I know nothing about electricity, so I don't know what to replace it with.
All I know is that to be safe, the output voltage needs to be the same and amperage can be above 1.25, but not below.
Shopping around with just that yields several results, but I'm still not sure what to look for.
Some results have wattage numbers on them too and I don't know where wattages would fit in to this equation.
Having that computer case fan shouldn't being drawing too much more power, but if adding more amps wouldn't hurt, I'd be willing to do it. What's safe to get in terms of ac adapters? Preferably something with a power brick; I have all my stuff plugged into an APC UPS, and the default/current ac adapter is a huge outlet hog.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Registered_user wrote:

I visited that topic in my travels. I would have liked it more, but none of the pictures were available.

You MUST be logged in as a user to view the images...if you're browsing as a "guest" the images won't show up.

As for the power pack...I purchased a 12V 5A unit used for LCD monitors...as long as it has the correct plug on it...it will be fine.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this thread is olderish but...

@registered_user

nice mod & tut w/ pics... +1 for expanding case height with another device shell.

Please don't feel bad about a 50% success rate, given you just purchased your iron I'd definitely call that a win. (plus that spare device was $10. win-win)

As for total cost, now you have tools and experience that is far more valuable than you might think. 90%+ of users never open up the case (of whatever it is), now you know you can not only get in there but can accomplish something fun/useful.

FWIW, I wrote up a completely oversimplified volt/amp analogy here:
http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=950728#950728
(I agree with Redhawk, boosting mA as redhawk indicated = generally no problems & always check polarity to get it right)

I'd probably caution against changing OEM specs of power conditioning capacitors without a large established group consensus & established track record (or yourself being comfortable with the the additional "math" & research).

Last time I attempted a similar fan/heatsink mod was before the RT-N16 days & the fan sat on top of the old WRT54G sticking out like a curious growth.

(EDIT2: fixed bad link to new image location)

no switch, unit ran (fan always on) for years and years. I soldered in a 3 pin pc fan connector (cut off of a the 4 pin molex adapter) directly to the board. when a the fan "died" i was able to open her up and pop in a new one with a screw driver only (i.e. without firing up the iron)

You mentioned giving up on the fan controller. At the time of my little mod, I'd never really thought about adding a potentiometer for variable control. (EDIT: removed confusing external link, see redhawk0 supplied diagram below)

Thanks for sharing. (Maybe reading your thread will motivate me to explore a new active cooling mod on one of my R6300v2 units)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE

Last edited by jheide44 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 16:00; edited 2 times in total
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The variable speed fan control is quite simple...here is my schematic (login to see the schematic)....a 2N2222A can be a replacement for the 2N3904 transistor...both work equally well.

Can be used with any voltage router...just match the fan voltage rating to the router's voltage. (never tested on the older Buffalo units running +3.3V though).

so...if you have a 5V unit...get a 5V fan....12V unit...get a 12V fan...etc.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the easier to use diagram. I've edited my post above and removed the long & confusing external link.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: