DNSMasq and Active Directory

hopmedic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 20:23    Post subject: DNSMasq and Active Directory Reply with quote
This is obviously an advanced networking problem and I'm a basic networking person. First, my setup:

I have a DDWRT router running DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std. I have a Windows 2012 domain controller. The router is set up as the DHCP and DNS server. I previously had the DC running DNS and DHCP, but because of an email from the ISP ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268703 )I ended up going with DNSMasq. So DNSMasq is my DNS and DHCP server. The problem that I didn't realize I had until yesterday was that my client PCs can no longer find a domain controller, so AD doesn't work, nor do group policies.

I have tried to figure out a way to make the router point the AD traffic to the server (tried following this post, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1558, and this post, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=677295, among others), but can't seem to figure it out.

First, under DHCP Server I have
Quote:
Used Domain: LAN & WLAN
LAN Domain: mydomain.office

Then there's the Additional DHCPd Options. Currently, I have the following in that box:
Quote:
domain=mydomain
local=/mydomain/
expand-hosts
--server=/mydomain/192.168.1.1

Under DNSMasq, I have:
Quote:
DNSMask: Enable
Local DNS: Enable
Then there's the Additional DNSMasq Options, where I have:
Quote:
server=/ad.mydomain.office/192.168.1.1
stop-dns-rebind
srv-host=_ldap._tcp.mydomain,myserver.mydomain,389

That doesn't do it. My PCs still can't find the DC.

I appreciate any help that you can give me. I don't want to get complicated, because I don't know this stuff (like figuring out DNS on the server that doesn't get my ISP upset with me), which is why I figured I could use the router to do what routers do, and let the DC do the AD.

I am neither a networking or a Windows Server expert, so please, any help you give, put it in simple terms so that a dolt like me can understand and do it. For instance, I don't know whether, or when, the -- before the configuration statements is needed, and when not. Thanks so much!
Sponsor
hopmedic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried adding these two lines, as shown on this page ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4691 )
Quote:
address=/DCName.YourDomain.com/IPAddress
srv-host=_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.YourDomain.com,DCName.YourDomain.com,389

Still no good. :/[/quote]
hopmedic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Surely I can't be the first person to try this. Doesn't anyone have any ideas?
BobsLanOnTheWan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
to ensure my machines can reach the DC, I simply turned off DHCP and then switched it to DHCP forwarder, gave the IP of the DC. Been using this for about two years. Windows DHCP, once i got used to it, actually seem superior in every way but one - I cant add a reservation by host name, only MAC.
BobsLanOnTheWan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should have mentioned that i FIRST installed, configured and authorized the DHCP role. I then created a scope for each router (subnet) that i planned to use BEFORE I turned off the routers DHCP and set it up to forward. totally relevant.

Also, this configuration did not work until I rebooted the router. This is functioning on multiple routers, each on a different subnet, perfectly.

Its also worth nothing that i did have one router (WRT610N) that this simply did not work on at all. downgraded firmware to a much earlier build and it started working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: