ASUS RT-N66U "officially" supported router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Stephen_m64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 17:48    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U "officially" supported router? Reply with quote
I have had a hell of a time attempting to get a fully working build of DD-WRT flashed onto this router, checking back in and seeing the "officially" supported page on asus's website triggered me to attempt for the second time to get it working.

i have attempted to flash multiple versions and this time i am attempting the "official" version 24461 and this time around i am getting the same problems.

when flashing to a K3.x build it will normally be successful but the Ethernet ports will not work (No DHCP, setting static ip doesnt work and cant access routers config page)
but wifi starts and the webgui can be accessed only through that.

i have tried many times to flash using methods such as
Stock->mini k2.6->K3.x_mega (wifi ok, no Ethernet)
Stock->mini k2.6->K3.x_big (wifi ok, no Ethernet)
Stock->K3.x_mega (wifi ok, no Ethernet)
Stock->K3.x_big (wifi ok, no Ethernet)
Stock->mini k2.6 (reboots to power light only, after nvram reset power light with wifi light, no wifi or lan working)
Stock->K3.x_mega (wifi ok, no Ethernet)
Stock->K3.x_big (wifi ok, no Ethernet)

I have tested multiple build numbers previously and had pretty much the same thing with this build.

i have reset nvram before and after each flash above and waited enough time for the router to finish setup after flashing with no success. And intermittently on the K3.x build when logging into telnet and issuing a "erase nvram" after a reboot the router will then not boot after (power light only, recovery gui nvram clear has no effect after)

I have pretty good experience with custom firmware and multiple routers, using both dd-wrt, openwrt and tomato and i have never had such a hard time getting things working correctly as with this router.

i have googled and read through the forums for hours both this time and last and found nothing but horribly old information that did not help and the wiki page is not much better. Sad

not a very good experience for a "officially" supported router.

How do i actually get this thing running with DD-WRT.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
What does it show?

Code:
nvram show | grep vlan.*ports
Stephen_m64
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
What does it show?

Code:

here it is:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.*ports
size: vlan2ports=0 8u
vlan0ports=1 2 3 4 5*
30448 bytes (35088 left)
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
root@DD-WRT:~#

Crying or Very sad

just attempted
Stock->K3.x_big 24160
wifi ok, no Ethernet just as the other revisions and erase nvram bricks it the same as well.
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too have been having a whole lot of problems. I Recently changed a setting ( Removed DHCP ) when the router was configured for the service Hotspotsystems and after that I could not getting working since nor have I been able to get into the GUI at all. Sad

I tried 2 different builds Mini>Mega( In many many different ways ) and at one point only starts in restore mode. I managed to get it out of the restore mode ( with tfpt2 ) but still no WIFI even after I reset before and after flashing with the wps button.

I have read countless articles here and other sites and procedure exactly as mentioned but still to no evaile. I spent the entire night from 8:00pm till 6:00am and still no cigar..very frustrated....

I will leave my vram show as well in hope that it can be saved. I will repost tmy settings in the next few hours.
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I bricked another one now. I tried the latest build 24461 and now this one too is not no getting into recovery at all anymore.

I dont remember having this issue a while back in earlier version and now its like its bricked. I cannot due anything anymore.

So one router I cannot get into recovery mode anymore ( even in a clear nvram ) and the other I can flash but it does not give an address so I cannot get into it after flashing.

arggggg
wesley32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
veger wrote:
I think I bricked another one now. I tried the latest build 24461 and now this one too is not no getting into recovery at all anymore.

Read this part in the Wiki for Asus RT-N66U

Quote:
svn24461 BRICKS RT-N66U. Recover possible through mini CFE webinterface.

Use the build right before that one. Build 24160
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
wesley32 wrote:
veger wrote:

Read this part in the Wiki for Asus RT-N66U

Quote:
svn24461 BRICKS RT-N66U. Recover possible through mini CFE webinterface.

Use the build right before that one. Build 24160

ok thank you. I will try to enter into the other router with it but it will not even get into recovery mode. not sure what I can do.
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stephen_m64 wrote:
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
What does it show?

Code:

here it is:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.*ports
size: vlan2ports=0 8u
vlan0ports=1 2 3 4 5*
30448 bytes (35088 left)
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
root@DD-WRT:~#

Crying or Very sad

just attempted
Stock->K3.x_big 24160
wifi ok, no Ethernet just as the other revisions and erase nvram bricks it the same as well.

what do you use to get that info? when? is it in browser in the CFE or in CMD line?
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
veger wrote:
I too have been having a whole lot of problems. I Recently changed a setting ( Removed DHCP ) when the router was configured for the service Hotspotsystems and after that I could not getting working since nor have I been able to get into the GUI at all. Sad

I tried 2 different builds Mini>Mega( In many many different ways ) and at one point only starts in restore mode. I managed to get it out of the restore mode ( with tfpt2 ) but still no WIFI even after I reset before and after flashing with the wps button.

I have read countless articles here and other sites and procedure exactly as mentioned but still to no evaile. I spent the entire night from 8:00pm till 6:00am and still no cigar..very frustrated....

I will leave my vram show as well in hope that it can be saved. I will repost tmy settings in the next few hours.

what do you use to get that info? when? is it in browser in the CFE or in CMD line?
AtotehZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I decided to try out DD-WRT as it was a huge success with the old Linksys routers.

Why would the installation page recommend this:
dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.trx

..when it bricks your router and on top of it all that it is a well-known fact?

I'm using the router now so it's not a catastrophy, but I can't access the interface, the weird IP it has been given just rejects me.

This is the IP the router was given after the flash:

Is there any way to make it work?

Last edited by AtotehZ on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34; edited 2 times in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
That firmware is for the the router with the bootloader that limted the router to 32k nvram.
You are better off flashing this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

If you have no lan access after that, telnet into the router wirelessly and type erase nvram, enter, then type reboot and enter.

Last edited by Malachi on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21; edited 1 time in total
AtotehZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I edited my post since you wrote your message, but thanks for the snappy answer.

How can I flash the router when I can't access the interface?

I just need a guide of some sorts to follow.
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
AtotehZ wrote:
I edited my post since you wrote your message, but thanks for the snappy answer.

How can I flash the router when I can't access the interface?

I just need a guide of some sorts to follow.

If you can get into recovery mode ( by pressing the reset button ) then when it flashes you can tftp it with tftp2.exe or use the asus restoration utility.
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That firmware is for the the router with the le bootloader that limted the router to 32k nvram.
You are better off flashing this ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/broadcom_K3X/dd-wrt.v24-23919_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx

If you have no lan access after that, telnet into the router wirelessly and type erase nvram, enter, then type reboot and enter.

I will reflash with this version and let you know. that you for your help Smile
veger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That firmware is for the the router with the le bootloader that limted the router to 32k nvram.

Question: With tftp2.exe it gives me a "Wrong file type" message. Can I just rename the file you suggest to .Bin so that I can use it ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: