Release Notes - Documentation

RangerZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:16    Post subject: Release Notes - Documentation Reply with quote
I would first like to thank Brainslayer and all the others who have maintained the product and the community forum over the years.

I have been in software for over 25 years, part of that as a Product Manager for a major software company. I know from experience that developers hate to do documentation more than anything else.

I am unaware of any document that concisely defines changes to the SVN levels of DD-WRT, and feel that this information is important to the community. It would better help us understand the product and help you with feedback and validation of the software changes. (the Changelog does not cut it)

I would suggest this as a new WIKI topic (possibly under the About DD-WRT section) maintained by Development. I see this as a single document with each new SVN added at the top, and notes about modified functions. This would be scrollable and searchable in one place. (yes it will get long so maybe a new one each year) It would be helpful if there could be some look back to some major functional enhancements over the last 1-2 years (ie OpenVPN server updates and similar major enhancements like V24 SP2 vs V24 pre-SP2 as of SVNXXXX)

I would also like to suggest 2 additional Wikis, one for Broadcom (to update and replace the dated Peacock thread) and another for Atheros. These should cover the basics like flashing etc, and be freshened up at least twice a year.

Finally I would like to ask that any and all Wiki updates display a date for the section in addition to the page (footer). It is frustrating to go to the List of Supported Devices and not to have a clue as what was updated when (Even with history, which does not work reliably.)
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: