WRT54GS V7 Flashing New Instructions..Also Bricked Routers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
hvaleanu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06    Post subject: does anyone know if this tutorial works for v7.50.00 fw? Reply with quote
Hi. I'm new here. Planning on putting dd-wrt on my WRT54GS. it has fw 7.50.00 on it. I didn't see versions higher than 7.2 on this forum or wiki. do you think there will be any problem on trying this out? the killer for v7 I mean...
LATER EDIT:
NEVERMIND, I should RTFM myself Razz
I found on this forum that there IS NO v7.5, only fw version 7.5 on a v7 router
Sponsor
AaronCompNetSys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried, and bricked Sad I'm sure it was my fault.
I still appreciate all the the efforts of the devs and posters that did all the work of figuring this out. No biggie, off to buy a new router.
meno
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello guys, Ive some problem to flash in WR54GS v7.2 serial numbers starts with CGNEXXXX

I tried this methodhttp://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54GS_v7[url] according with it it must works on WRT54GS v7.2 the build in default firmware from linksys is v8.00.2 is rare because in the support section on linksys's page there isnt this .

So Ive several experience flashing with JTAG, I want to it method to the lastone, so if there is another Vxworks killer thats works on this version please let me know.
Thanks[/url]
steelaustin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 23:07    Post subject: ddwrt Reply with quote
hey so i just got a new wrt54gs v7.2 and i loaded vsworkskiller using the web interface then i got successful rebooting i waited and the only light that was on was the one i had a wire connected to then i tried to tftp it didnt work tried C:\dd-wrt... didnt work powered off n on router tried again nothing lights flash when i power up then stay blank but the one tried hard reset still nothing i called the company i got the router from and they sent me a new one i started by upgrading to linksys worked updated to killer and it is now the same as the first one any ideas? i used command -i ip... get ddwrt... aswell as the tftp application from ddwrt.com
llee8820
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I can't seem to find a direct answer to my questions. Does it still matter which chipset is inside the WRT54GS v7? If so, how can I check which one I have?
pixl97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgraded a WRTGS V7 today that was acting poorly with the stock linksys firmware, dropping packets and downloading slowly. Followed the directions of running the vx killer, then tftp'd the micro-generic to the router and it worked perfectly. Since the version was so old I upgraded to the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/19/10) micro - build 15943M NEWD Eko version without an issue. Now I can download at the full 10Mb speed of my cable connection.

Thanks for bringing new life to an old router.
Pollypurabred
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
pix197,

Is this the tag labeling from the System Information page or is this the bin name?

I went HERE and it listed the micro in three varieties but nothing with the M....Tks

pixl97 wrote:
Upgraded a WRTGS V7 today that was acting poorly with the stock linksys firmware, dropping packets and downloading slowly. Followed the directions of running the vx killer, then tftp'd the micro-generic to the router and it worked perfectly. Since the version was so old I upgraded to the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/19/10) micro - build 15943M NEWD Eko version without an issue. Now I can download at the full 10Mb speed of my cable connection.

Thanks for bringing new life to an old router.
Androiddawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 19:44    Post subject: Where can I download the Linksys TFTP.exe utility? Reply with quote
This location worked for me:

http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-L/LinkSys/BEFVP41/Utilities/Windows/befsx41-Tftp.exe.php

Good luck!
sberniz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 21:09    Post subject: Management mode on linksys wrt54gs v7 Reply with quote
I tried the instalation procedure on wiki but it takes me to Management Mode, I have a linksys wrt54gs v7.. does it matter,? or should I use only administration & firmware update? to upgrade the killer? thanks in advance
Santiago
Doctordroid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 0:49    Post subject: likewise Reply with quote
llee8820 wrote:
Hi everyone, I can't seem to find a direct answer to my questions. Does it still matter which chipset is inside the WRT54GS v7? If so, how can I check which one I have?

Hi llee8820 and everyone else,

Firstly greetings and happy new year to all.

I'm also sort of after the same info. Lots of people seem to have dd-wrt working on v7 WRT54GS, but there appear to be two types and there is a specific warning on the wiki for this router about it not working with the "intel" chip version. However, there are also reports stating that people have got it to work on the intel chip version.

llee8820, the way to tell the version you have is to break open the router and look at the chip near the jtag header sockets. Various of the posts in this forum will tell you whether yours is an intel flash chip based on the codes on the chip. Mine has 3 numbers on it, JS28F160, C3BD70, A7217051. I believe this means it is an intel chip version.

Mine is currently well bricked since I flashed the vxkiller and did what the wiki said (ie pull out power lead). However, now I have read more posts, I see that I should have waited and the v3 killer would restart the router itself (apparently). Currently waiting on a JTAG cable that might help me unbrick it, even if all I can do is get the original linksys firmware back on it.

However, I am still unclear about whether the "intel" WRT54GS v7 router can support dd-wrt at all. For completeness, my router has serial number CGNB1G915678 and appears to have been made in August or Sept 2007.

Can anyone give a definitive answer? Thanks.
uuco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:15    Post subject: Re: WRT54GS V7 Flashing New Instructions..Also Bricked Route Reply with quote
Help!
I followed the procedure but was not able to download the program to the point 5, but the link does not work (I was thinking to download later).
But just installed the program at step 7 my router is dead, the power LED is on, but with very low light, and has been on only the LED for the port connected to the computer.
I can not do anything, I tried in almost every way, with the system called 30/30/30 reset, then reset the system by shorting pins 15-16 and all the others, but nothing. What do I do now???

shoaibbhatti wrote:
Thanks to Brainslayer and Tornado for their help. As previous topic was becoming long. So I decided to write it for users.

Please follow following procedure to FLASH your WRT54GS v7 (also WRT54G v8 )

1. Press reset button for 6 seconds after Power On WRT54GS v7
2. Give your PC/laptop Fix IP 192.168.1.100 and plug network cable between PC and Wireless Router
3. Open browser (IE or Mozilla etc) write http://192.168.1.1
4. Give user/password admin admin to login into Router
5. Download Following files. Also TFTP Utility from Linksys: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/befsx41_Tftp.exe
TFTP Utility is must ir you are doing through Windows

6. Click on Administration-->Upgrade Firmware
7. Click on Browse, select vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin and click Upgrade
8. Wait for process to complete. Then click Continue Button
9. Wait for 3 minutes minimum
10. Then run TFTP utility from Linksys
11. Write Server: 192.168.1.1
12. Browse file dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
13. Click Upgrade button. It would take few seconds
14. Wait for 2-3 Minutes after Success Full Upgrade. Don't be panic
15. Now if WLAN light is ON , you are successful. Now access it with browser http://192.168.1.1 user= root & password= admin

If all lights are ON, your router is bricked. Follow follow procedure to UnBrick it

First i want to thanks Tornado for all the help.

I got my WRT54GSV7 bricked with all lan and internet light on, No power and wan light and can't ping
I tryed wholeflash and nothing, still the same.
Than i ask Tornado for help and now my router is alive again and works fine.

What i did:
Made a JTAG cable and stick in one computer with nothing runing, just windows XP pro SP2.
Than i use the new Tjtag utility by Tornado, on link http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22655

tjtag -probeonly /noemw
=================================================
WRT54G/GS EJTAG Debrick Utility v4.8-Tornado-MOD
=================================================

Probing bus ... Done

Instruction Length set to 8

CPU Chip ID: 00010101001101010100000101111111 (1535417F)
*** Found a Broadcom BCM5354 KFBG Rev 1 CPU chip ***

- EJTAG IMPCODE ....... : 00000000100000010000100100000100 (00810904)
- EJTAG Version ....... : 1 or 2.0
- EJTAG DMA Support ... : Yes

Issuing Processor / Peripheral Reset ... Done
Enabling Memory Writes ... Skipped
Halting Processor ... <Processor Entered Debug Mode!> ... Done
Clearing Watchdog ... Done

Probing Flash at (Flash Window: 0x1fc00000) ... Done

Flash Vendor ID: 00000000000000000000000010001001 (00000089)
Flash Device ID: 00000000000000001000100011000011 (000088C3)
*** Found a Intel 28F160C3 1Mx16 BotB (2MB) Flash Chip ***

- Flash Chip Window Start .... : 1fc00000
- Flash Chip Window Length ... : 00200000
- Selected Area Start ........ : 00000000
- Selected Area Length ....... : 00000000

*** REQUESTED OPERATION IS COMPLETE ***

So router is responding, than i put cfe.bin back to router

Tjtag -flash:cfe /noreset

last block
[ 99% fLASHED]1fc3fff0: ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
Done <cfe.bin LOADED INTO fLASH Memory ok>

=========================
Flashing Routine Complete
=========================
elapsed time: 625 seconds

*** REQUESTED OPERATION IS COMPLETE ***

I Wait about 5 minutes to turn off the router. Turn on again and..

ALL LIGHTS OFF and responding ping.

Than i use tftp to put the dd-wrt firmware
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin

Transferência bem sucedida: 1761280 bytes em 3 segundos, 587093 bytes/s
In English: Transfer OK: 1761280 bytes in 3 seconds....

I din´t reset the router and the power light just come ON.

Now my router is alive and works fine.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Don't necro old posts.
2. Read the four broadcom forum announcements
3. You flashed a killer. It kills your vxworks. Instead of following these old, outdated instructions go to the wiki install for your router, which had better be a GS not a G, and check what you have done against what is instructed there.
4. Start A NEW thread for any issues that you have, posting all of the information stated in the forum announcements.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: