WRT54GS V7 Flashing New Instructions..Also Bricked Routers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would say they are close, maybe a little different, gpio's etc, we don't know because we have no reports of anyone trying killer on a 7.2, killer V3 only, what flash is in the router, do you know ?

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Sponsor
sortiarius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a linksys wrt54gs v7 as the one described in this thread that i bricked using vxworkskiller v3 (by cutting power to soon) before reading this guide 8(

My problem is about the same that this post describes, when turned on the router just flashes with all LAN (and internet) LEDs without any light in WLAN/power and DMZ or the cisco logo. When connected to a computer through a LAN cable the computer reacts as if the cable is connected to nothing in the router end(which is why im not able to ping it). I have tried a hard-reset about a dozen times without any luck whatsoever.

So, it would seem that i would have to get a JTAG cable and follow the procedures listed in this post to unbrick it - only trouble is that im a net-newbie and i simply do not know what at JTAG cable is, where to get one, or how to connect it to the router and the computer even if i got a cable in the first place.

So i wanted to know if theres any other mean to unbrick the un-ping-able router but the JTAG cable. On the web there's several (pictured) guides on how to short-pin the wrt54G v. 1-3 models - showing what chip (and what pin on the chip) on the print to shortpin (usually pin 16-17) - but no guides telling how to do the same thing to a WRT54GS v7 which as far as i can tell only has a atheros and a samsung chip (excluding the broadcom chip that hasnt got any pins) on the print.

So in any words, is there a guide on how to short pin the wrt54gs v7 back to ping-able state (doesnt have to be unbrickable state - just so that im able to ping it again - i can take it from there) - my problem being not only which pin to shortcircuit, but also which chip (i guess im kinda looking for a picture guide).

So if anyone would be able to help me concerning which pin (and chip) to shortcircuit on the wrt54gs v7 router i would be extremely thankful.

Best regards
Jens Andersen
Tornado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
If no lights are on, its possible its not bricked, I will take your word for it that it is, try port 1 on the router before giving up. Also start pinging the box before you turn it on, and make sure your PC has a static address, what flash chip is in it ?

If you did brick it this way, pin shorting will not help, because part of the bootloader is missing.

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

sortiarius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
If no lights are on, its possible its not bricked, I will take your word for it that it is, try port 1 on the router before giving up. Also start pinging the box before you turn it on, and make sure your PC has a static address, what flash chip is in it ?

If you did brick it this way, pin shorting will not help, because part of the bootloader is missing.

I've tried the ping 192.168.1.1 -t command while setting up a static IP adress (192.168.1.2) on my computer and connecting the two with a lan cable from the computer to the LAN 1 port on the router - but ive gotten no response (i've also tried the -t ping when hard resetting).

As soon as i plug the router to the power all LAN LED and the internet LED light up - and it would seem no matter what i do they just continue being lit (no blinking, no nothing, just those 5 leds being lit while the rest of the LEDs (WLAN/DMZ/Power wont light up at all).

But as far as i understand you shortpinning wont even help this situation - a JTAG cable is a neccessity? - if thats the case i guess ive better start figuring out what that cable is, where to get it (in denmark, europe) and most importantly - how to connect a JTAG to the router in the first place.

BTW - i read something about connecting the router to a hub thats connected to the computer - would that make any difference in my pinging attempts?

And thx for your reply btw.
sortiarius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
what flash chip is in it ?

I don't know how to figure that out. The router is a wrt54gs v7 model and has three chips on the print. A samsung 743, a cubic broadcom chip, and a rectangular chip close to the LEDS saying "JS28F16D", "C3BD70" and "A7167179".
Tornado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's the JS28F16D, and jtag cables are available everywhere, and just as easy to build, someone in the forum should be able to tell you where to get one already made in your part of the world. I think it is bricked, and pin shorting will not help it. So, I suggest you find & buy a jtag cable, they are not very expensive.

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

cmanns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20    Post subject: WRT54GS v7 Flash Reply with quote
I flashed mine port 1, I waited about 3 mins rebooted, 3 mins rebooted, then used the provided tftp application to transfer the dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8

I went into management mode to flash vxworkskillerGSv7-v3

Internet didn't work and after a few mins the DD-WRT page loaded looking kinda funky, I did another transfer of the micro wrt54gv8 I power cycled again since my WAN wasn't working then I can't access the panel at all!

The power light flikers once n awhile, not fast by any means. If I disconnect from port 1 it will go off, then back on in awhile then back off. With port 1 connected it goes on and off, sometimes it pings sometimes it doesn't.

I tried transfer of the files via win xp tftp didn't work said timed out, I pulled the plug started the transfer, timed out, tried again, worked in 12 sec with stock firmware....

The ethernet light for port 1 gones on and flickers when active, WLAN goes on after 25 sec or so of being on, it also flickers once n awhile.

Is mine bricked? =[
Mingo22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 15:57    Post subject: Heko...... Reply with quote
I dled it like its suppose to be but when i tried to access the router i had a change in the default pword.

its no longer just admin. can someone explain why that is?
gentlesea
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 17:13    Post subject: JTAG-cable Reply with quote
Tornado, you said JTAG-cables are available everywhere. Just give us one location where you can buy (!) them. Complete URL, svp. No, I don't want to make one of my own. My WRT54GS v7 is also bricked and all LEDs are on. But since I have more routers bricked here I'm searching for such a cable quite a while. I live in Germany. Anyone?
gentlesea
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 18:15    Post subject: Unbricked! Reply with quote
Actually I unbricked my WRT54GS v7 by simply resetting it using the button on the back. Just do it a few times. Strange. JTAG still wanted for the next time Razz
InSaiyanOne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 14:26    Post subject: Might help,,, Reply with quote
sortiarius wrote:
I have a linksys wrt54gs v7 as the one described in this thread that i bricked using vxworkskiller v3 (by cutting power to soon) before reading this guide 8(

My problem is about the same that this post describes, when turned on the router just flashes with all LAN (and internet) LEDs without any light in WLAN/power and DMZ or the cisco logo. When connected to a computer through a LAN cable the computer reacts as if the cable is connected to nothing in the router end(which is why im not able to ping it). I have tried a hard-reset about a dozen times without any luck whatsoever. ...

I actually did this too, I basically did a hard reset to where the lights come on and while those lights were still on I quickly tftp'd it with the .bin file. I guess if it's done right it has just enough time before they go off. After that I continued with the regular flashing steps.

I hope this works for u cause I was happy as hell when my router ended up working.

InSaiyanOne
Linksys WRT54GSv7
DD-WRT v24 RC-6 (01/02/0Cool micro - build 8743
Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev 2
jnetty99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 19:38    Post subject: 7.2 works Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
I would say they are close, maybe a little different, gpio's etc, we don't know because we have no reports of anyone trying killer on a 7.2, killer V3 only, what flash is in the router, do you know ?

I just bought a WRT54GS V7.2 because its on special at Staples for $29.99.

Anyways the instructions to install dd-wrt micro work correctly on a V7.2

Did it all in under 10 minutes.
theMast3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 13:27    Post subject: Re: JTAG-cable Reply with quote
gentlesea wrote:
Tornado, you said JTAG-cables are available everywhere. Just give us one location where you can buy (!) them. Complete URL, svp. No, I don't want to make one of my own. My WRT54GS v7 is also bricked and all LEDs are on. But since I have more routers bricked here I'm searching for such a cable quite a while. I live in Germany. Anyone?

I think you can try to get one off Ebay, just punch in the key words "Jtag cable". However I think it's cheaper & faster to make one yourself Smile. I do remember seeing the complete instruction to build it in Tornado's download folder Wink
0chilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys, first time poster here. I just wanted to let you know that I followed the directions in the first post and successfully got my Linksys WRT54GSv7 up & running.

I do have one quick suggestion for the procedure though. In Step 10, we use the Linksys tftp util to flash the router. The util has 3 boxes - one for server to flash, password and file. I thought I might have had to use "admin" as the password to flash it, but it did not require any password, so I just left the field blank.

Quote:
Please follow following procedure to FLASH your WRT54GS v7 (also WRT54G v8 )

10. Then run TFTP utility from Linksys
11. Write Server: 192.168.1.1
11a. Leave Password field blank.
12. Browse file dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
13. Click Upgrade button. It would take few seconds

Anyhow, here's the details of my setup.

Cable Modem > Netscreen Firewall > Switch.
Wired devices (computers, printers etc)connect directly to the switch.
Also wired to the switch is a Netgear WGR614v7 set up as a WAP, with MAC address access list configured, set to 802.11g only, and with WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption configured. Friends/roaming devices connect to this.

I just bought an Xbox 360 and refused to pay $100 for the Xbox brand wireless access card/dongle, so I used the instructions on this site & forum to flash a wireless router.

I purchased a Linksys WRT54GSv7 (Serial Number starts with CGNC) from newegg.com for $50 on May 12. I followed the directions in the first post of this topic to flash the router with the dd-wrt firmware and it went perfectly - no problems at all on any step.

To configure the WRT54GSv7 for my Xbox, I followed the instructions in the Wiki to configure the device as a Bridge. The setup was easy, and it took my WPA2-PSK [AES] security settings perfectly as well. Hooked it up to my Xbox and it all came up with no probs whatsoever.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum and to the wiki, and for developing the software to enable this stuff!

Here's the info on the WRT54GSv7:

Code:
Router Model:  Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7
Firmware Version:  DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro - build 8420
CPU Model:  Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev 2
CPU Clock:  240 MHz

I do have one quick question. Am I using the latest & greatest firmware for this device? The files used were downloaded from the first post in this topic (the files attached to the first post). The firmware is only about 6 months old, but I'm still wondring if they're the right ones to use. I tried navigating through the site's Download section, but it was very confusing to me :)

Anyway, thanks again. I hope my feedback will help someone connect their Xbox's too Smile
iampedro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried to upgrade the firmware via the admin and now I can't seem to be able to get the router up and running or atleaset via the htp access to it... any suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: