WRT54GS V7 Flashing New Instructions..Also Bricked Routers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
mlhse111
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:35    Post subject: Hello All Reply with quote
Well i was able to upgrade my WRT54GS V7 using the instructions on the page. What was easier for me to do was set up cont ping to the router in a command window so I can see it reboot it self. I had almost bricked a couple times rebooting it after flashing. Until i read that step about letting it do it self reboot.Laughing

The new features are awesome and took me a while to get repeater bridge to get working. First time doing that feature. Just experimenting with different configurations. I notice one thing i had to do was forward DHCP for my lan ports to the Gateway Router. That enabled my lan to be able to surf through. Before only my wireless could.

Firmware: DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro
Time: 06:14:50 up 44 min, load average: 0.15, 0.09, 0.02
WAN: Disabled

DD-WRT
Router Model
Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro - build 8420
Sponsor
nothingbetter2do
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59    Post subject: WRT54GS V7 Plus the Actual CORRECT dd-wrt firmware Reply with quote
when i go to the download section in v24 to look for the right dd-wrt firmware for the wrt54gs v7 i dont see the dd-wrt for my version of router all i see is this
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/downloads.html

vxworks killer WRT54GSV5,V6
vxworks killer WRT54GSV7
vxworks killer WRT54GV5,V6
vxworks killer WRT54GV8

dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_generic.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_we800.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_wr850.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_WRH54G.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_we800.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_wr850.bin
dd-wrt.v24_micro_WRH54G.bin

No mention of wrt54gs v7 in the dd-wrt list so which one is right?????

i need the dd-wrt firmware to enable wireless bridging for my router so i can wirelessly link my office(a seperate building) to my house in front of the office wirelessly.
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you already have DD-WRT on there, this is the latest & greatest: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54GS_v7/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset
Upgrade with web GUI (from Control Panel)
Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset
Configure from scratch. (Do NOT load settings from backup file)

If upgrading from Link$y$ firmware, other steps are necessary.
0chilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
WarpSpeed wrote:
If you already have DD-WRT on there, this is the latest & greatest: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54GS_v7/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset
Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset

If upgrading from Link$y$ firmware, other steps are necessary.

can you elaborate a bit on what the "30-30-30 Hard Reset" means?

i do already have dd-wrt installed on the router - just the older version shown in the original post of this thread.

thanks!
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power up router, let finish booting.

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, unplug router while still holding reset button for 30 seconds,
then plug it back in still holding reset button for a final 30 seconds. Release reset button.

This should always be done before & after a firmware upgrade. Helps to keep gremlins out of the NVRAM.
0chilly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
interesting - thanks for the info Smile i'll make sure to do it when i update!
bludd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
WarpSpeed wrote:

I have a question if anyone could help. I'm planning on flashing a linksys wrt54gs v7 which doesn't have dd-wrt on it.

Should I be using this file as well after using:

befsx41_Tftp
vxworkskillerGSv7-v3

Or should I use the file listed in the post dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8?

Thanks in advance. This is my first time flashing this so I just want to make sure the files I'm using are updated and correct.
kinomakino
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
i Do the first time to the process, with the "killer" file. now, my router is with the power light switch on/off since 15 minutes ago.
i can do ping to mi router, but i can´t access in http. can´t access in the tftp server of the router.
any idea?
thanks a lot.
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
The killerv3 is for the web-gui, if you used the web-gui to upgrade with killerv3, then the second step is to tftp the dd-wrt firmware.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
bludd wrote:
WarpSpeed wrote:

I have a question if anyone could help. I'm planning on flashing a linksys wrt54gs v7 which doesn't have dd-wrt on it.

Should I be using this file as well after using:

befsx41_Tftp
vxworkskillerGSv7-v3

Or should I use the file listed in the post dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8?

Thanks in advance. This is my first time flashing this so I just want to make sure the files I'm using are updated and correct.

dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin should work just fine for you.

Just please remember the 30-30-30 hard resets before and after the flash.
techwave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well here is what I did last night:

1. Did a factory reset on the router
2. Unplugged it while holding down the reset button and plugged it back in.
3. Performed the web gui firmware upgrade with vxworksrevert-GSv7-v3.bin.
4. Something did seem right, so I waited a few mins and reloaded vxworksrevert-GSv7-v3.bin again, and it said that upgrade was successful.
5. Waited a few more mins. (Didn't see the option to "plugoff the power cord" like the directions suggested.
6.Did the 30-30-30 reset after waiting a few mins.
7. ran "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin" (Had the command prompt ready to go Very Happy)
8. Logged in the router fine.
9. Guess I didn't have the DHCP turned off on the modem cause when I logged into the router I noticed that the WAN address was what I would get if the modem is hooked. Turned that off from the modem. Started to get the manual IP that I set out earlier.
10. Went inside the router and started to configure for PPPoE, that setup fine. I was able to ping the router and only ping by "DNS" I was not able to get on any webpage only by their IP Address. I tried to plug the cable back into my modem and connect via it, still no luck. I unplugged everything and went to bed (4:30am) On the side note I did have the power light, wlan, eithernet, and internet lights on. The only light that I didn't have on was the "Cisco System Easy setup light"

I am going to try and figure this out today.

So should I try and revert everything back to orginal and re-try again or do I have a "Brick" Has others experienced this same settings?

Sorry, first time loading this onto a router :D

Cheers
techwave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers:lol: :lol:

After Leaving everything last night, I am now successfully connected to the Internet and all is working fine...guess when your tired to mess things up Very Happy.

I did notice though on the router with the .bin I installed (dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin) that this is the FW (DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro) I want to know if that is indeed the latest update for the wrt54GS v7.
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope.

The latest & greatest: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24/Broadcom/Linksys/WRT54GS_v7/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset
Do 30-30-30 Hard Reset
techwave
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
now do I still have to run the killer bin before I perform the upgrade or any other steps? or do I just perform the 30-30-30 steps then the upgrade?
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, Killer is only used once, the very first time you install DD-WRT on this type of router. Once that has been done and you are running DD-WRT, all future upgrades can be done via web gui - firmware upgrade page, or tftp.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: