WRT54GS V7 Flashing New Instructions..Also Bricked Routers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
boole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 20:42    Post subject: I bricked my WRT54GSv7 - All eth LED's ON Reply with quote
Hi I followed the instructions here for the Intel chip (ny chip has JS28F160, C3BD70 on it), after re-powering the router after uploading the firmware (vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin) via web gui, I was ready to tftp immediatley after powering on, but the router didnt give an ethernet connection, so in XP it is 'Network Cable Unplugged', all four Ethernet LED's are on and the Internet (WAN) LED is on.

I have tried as much as I can find with 30-30-30 but I cannot get ANYTHING except all those lights on, not even the power light comes on at all, and most importantly no ETHERNET signal ever, do I need to get a JTAG cable and follow the de-bricking instructions (here)? The JTAG cable looks a bit over my head to make, I would rather spend £7 on ebay for a JTAG linksys wrt54gs de-bricker from china and just wait, this sucks I wish I could just buy in the highstreet a normal 54g which are so easy to flash instead of pants 54gs, frickin PC World man. I should have bought online but I was in a hurry... well have to wait now.

Any help is appreciated, cheers.
Sponsor
madllama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 23:00    Post subject: ebay router came with netgear firmware!? Reply with quote
So i bought a wrt54gsv7 off of ebay and I find that theres a netgear firmware for the wgr614 v7 on there. I boot the cd and load the linksys firmware on there, and afterwards everything seems ok as the linksys page boots up when i go to http://192.168.1.1, so then i start following the dd-wrt instructions.
However, after i successfully get vxworkskiller loaded onto the router, I find that the router just reverts back to the old netgear firmware and I cannot tftp. Any suggestions?

edit: alright that netgear firmware was from my wireless connection i was jacking from a neighbor. bad news is i think i bricked my router.
No lights are on except the ethernet port 1 and internet light, because those are the cables i have connected. Is this a good sign?
madllama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
hahahaha nobody told me to switch my ip address to static. Yeah nubbins at work here but everything worked out yeah!
edhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought two WRT54GS v7.2's specifically to use them as wireless bridges in our office in Libya.

Now I think I've gone and bricked one of them!

I uploaded vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin to it, waited a while -- probably not the right amount of time, and then powered it off and back on again.

Now it's not pingable, and the only lights that come on are the ones where the network cables are plugged in. No power, no WLAN, no DMZ.

What can be done at this point? What should I do to prevent the other unit from being bricked, too? Where are the RIGHT directions to follow? I've seen mention in the forum about the xmworks-killer automatically rebooting, but the instructions I followed did NOT say that. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jason
edhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: It IS pingable, and I CAN tftp things to it. But it's still not right. There's no web gui at 192.168.1.1, and the power light doesn't come on...

Any hints about how boned this thing might be now? I'm afraid to follow this procedure on the other router at this point...
madllama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
what happens when you tftp the dd-wrt firmware over? there wont be any web gui showing if you sent vxworkskiller over, it killed the linksys firmware on there.
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
madllama is correct, after sending killer, it puts a new VFE on the router, then you have to tftp the dd-wrt firmware to it, before you will have any firmware on it. Your description is exactly what happens after sending killerv3.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
edhacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did TFTP the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin file, and it did take it, but still nothing even after powering it off and on (it's pingable, and I can TFTP to it, still). Should I be using a different dd-wrt file for this thing? It's a WRT54GS v7.2.
androx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the firmware provided in the very beginning of this thread. DD-WRT v24 RC-5 (11/22/07) micro

From the Google and DD-WRT wiki and forum searches that I have done it looks like there is no SNMP support in the micro versions. And the wrt54gs v7 will only support micro firmware versions? Or can I upgrade to a newer firmware version or non-micro version for SNMP support?

So in that case is there no way for me to get a log of the bandwidth usage each month/other time period? It's the main reason I switched to DD-WRT and now I'm disappointed that my router is so lame.

Thanks for your assistance, and thanks for this post and all the tools and firmware and etc. provided.
hl0103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:50    Post subject: Not working for me Reply with quote
I'm trying to flash my WRT54GS V7 with firmware v7.50.2, but failed at the stage upgrading with vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin. When I click upgrade, browser
showed upgrade failed message with a continue button. I clicked continue, and it goes off and 30 sec or later, it says upgrade failed again. this time there is no continue button, so I just power off the router. No damage or anything seem to happen because I restore my configuration, and it still works with factory firmware. What Can I?
hl0103
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
never mind. I was using vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin instead of the correct version vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin. After i got the right one. flash is successful. Then my tftp session always times out, not able to connect the router. Thought I brick my router. Then I followed the suggestion here http://blog.rim3y.net/zero/?p=942. Everthing works now.
rorrim180

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 18:01    Post subject: WAN Port not working Reply with quote
Thanks for the guide shoaibbhatti! I followed the first 15 steps and everything worked great. The POWER and WLAN lights are on, I can access the dd-wrt admin interface and the LAN ports are working properly. I have one problem now though. The router is not pulling an IP address from my cable modem and the INTERNET light is off. I have tried resetting the router to defaults and reflashing the router as well. The WAN port was working normally before I flashed the router.

I'm using a WRT54GS v7 and the Status > Router tab in the admin interface is showing my CPU Model as "Broadcom BCM5354 chip rev 2".

If anyone here could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Babykittents
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03    Post subject: Complete Noobie!! HELP Reply with quote
Ok, I followed all the instruction, although, it doesn't say to POWERDOWN at all in the first post, it says WAIT.

I Bricked my Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS V7.2

can't access anything. AT ALL

So I would like to know if someone would help me with VERY simple instructions on how to UNBRICK this PLEASE!!!
Step by Step. Sorry, Guess i am not smart enough to figure it out on my own Sad

Thank you
Tina Embarassed
Shawn360
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11    Post subject: Re: Complete Noobie!! HELP Reply with quote
Babykittents wrote:
Ok, I followed all the instruction, although, it doesn't say to POWERDOWN at all in the first post, it says WAIT.

I Bricked my Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS V7.2Tjta

can't access anything. AT ALL

So I would like to know if someone would help me with VERY simple instructions on how to UNBRICK this PLEASE!!!
Step by Step. Sorry, Guess i am not smart enough to figure it out on my own Sad

Thank you
Tina Embarassed

What ever you do don't pin short this can cause permanent damage. This router can be easily be recover by jtag if needed. If you pin short and damage the chip even a jtag can't help you so don't.

If you can't ping it or tftp then a jtag cable is your only option.
First you need to open the router and look for the jtag port double row holes 12 total.
Then you would install the pin header and connect the jtag cable to it and to your computers parallel port and use the Tjtagv3-RC-1- EJTAG De-Brick tool http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22655 to De-Brick your router..

You can buy a jtag cable Linksys on eBay or make one http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/JTAG_Cable.

Broadcom BCM5354 revision 3 tjtag 2.1.4 issue
http://www.dd-wrt.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=231222&highlight=#231222

Last edited by Shawn360 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:29; edited 1 time in total
Babykittents
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:21    Post subject: Re: Complete Noobie!! HELP Reply with quote
What ever you do don't pin short this can cause permanent damage. This router can be easily be recover by jtag if needed. If you pin short and damage the chip even a jtag can't help you so don't.

<I don't know what that even means, sorry.. like i said, TOTAL NOOB>

If you can't ping it or tftp then a jtag cable is your only option.

My power light is on, faintly.. VERY Faintly, and the Ethernet Port is ON, and SOLID, but nothing else, I also can't type in the 192.168.1.1 Into the browser, it doesn't go.

(Update) I unbricked the router. IT functions. ALL I have to do now is Figure out how to set it up to connect to XB Live. And also how to make my PC into a Wireless unit with it's built in Wireless Card. (if anyone knows how to do this, let me know please) Smile

Last edited by Babykittents on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:04; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: