WDS - Wireless clients connect to WAN but not each other

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dejavu.blue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:16    Post subject: WDS - Wireless clients connect to WAN but not each other Reply with quote
I have three routers set up in a WDS that function quite well (and have for three years) in every way except one: accessing wireless clients (for file sharing, etc.) is spotty at best. Wired clients are pretty solid.

I have tried many different routers, builds, settings, etc and all have had the same spottiness in client-to-wireless client access. Current setup is:

*="set same on all routers"
Main:
ASUS RT-N16 (01/10/12)kingkong - build 18050M
IP: 192.168.1.1
*STP: ENABLED
Set as gateway, DNS and DHCP servers
Use DNSMasq for DHCP: ENABLED
Use DNSMasq for DNS: ENABLED

*Wireless encryption: WPA2 Personal/AES
*Wireless network mode: BG-Mixed mode
*AP Isolation: DISABLED!
*WDS MAC addresses: Main <-> Node 1 <-> Node 2

Advanced Routing -> Operating Mode: Gateway
*Dynamic Routing: DISABLED
*No static routes

Firewall is ENABLED with default filters

Node 1:
ASUS RT-N16 (01/10/12)kingkong - build 18050M
IP: 192.168.1.2
Points to 192.168.1.1 for gateway, dns
DHCP Type: DHCP Forwarder to 192.168.1.1

Advanced Routing -> Operating Mode: Router

Firewall is DISABLED with filters unchecked

Node 2:
WRT54GL v1.1 std build 14939
IP: 192.168.1.3
Points to 192.168.1.1 for gateway, dns
DHCP Type: DHCP Forwarder to 192.168.1.1

Advanced Routing -> Operating Mode: Router

Firewall is DISABLED with filters unchecked

This post http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=711657 indicates very similar problems with no resolution yet. He said that Tomato fixed the issues in his case. That along with my symptoms makes me lean away from client settings, etc. being the problem. If I try a fresh reboot of every router and every client, then the all of the client-to-client connections work very well for 20 minutes or so.

To reiterate: this only seems to be a problem (that I have noticed) with WIRELESS clients! So, if I take one of the many Windows 7 laptops, turn off the wireless and plug them in to LAN then problems disappear for that newly-wired-client; go back to WLAN and nothing but troubles again. Unfortunately my network requirements are starting to be more demanding for wireless clients to have shares accessible.

Let's say I have Wireless A client and Wired B client. If I boot up Wireless A, usually right away it won't show client-to-client anything (shares, etc.). If any of the three routers (via TelNet or SSH) tries to ping Wireless A, they get a respectable 1-3ms response. Vice versa, pings from Wireless A to any router are similarly successful.

Here's the interesting part: Let's say Wireless A has pinged everything else in the subnet except Wired B. When Wired B client tries to ping Wireless A, it cannot get a response. It comes back:

Quote:
Destination host unreachable.

...and seems to do this indefinitely.

If I continue to let Wired B send pings to Wireless A, this will go on UNTIL I ping the other way (Wireless A to Wired B) and then immediately my Wired B -> Wireless A pings are successful and Wireless A can be reached by IP address or Windows 7 network screen, etc. on Wired B.

Weird.

Any thoughts?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: