Do ANY routers support the 4G UML295?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
elwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
feeble wrote:
So here is what I have learned from the thread and other research...

You're not having TCP RST issues or issues loading CDN websites???

Which firmware are you running?
Sponsor
feeble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
elwood wrote:
feeble wrote:
So here is what I have learned from the thread and other research...

You're not having TCP RST issues or issues loading CDN websites???

Which firmware are you running?

I am not sure of the actual version number. I am not at home to check that, but it it the DD-WRT "Kong Mod" version 09-07-2015 for NETGEAR R6700 from myopenrouter.

I have never done any tcpdump or wireshark for analyzing packets. I do notice some times sites load slowly, etc. But it's kind of been like that for me with all the routers I have used. Especially with the uml295. I have always had better luck with my usb551l.

For now, when I have issues, I usually paste these in a web browser.

http://192.168.32.2/condata?action=disconnect

Then

http://192.168.32.2/condata?action=connect

Then things seem normal for a while. As for CDN, I have no idea when I am hitting one. I do my usual reddit, google, etc. I hit the end of the internet many years ago.

One thing I have been thinking about doing writing a script that uses wget, or something, to grab a webpage. And if it times out, do the disconnect, reconnect on the uml295. This could be problematic for connections. From what I have seen so far, it has not caused any issues when I do it manually.

As far as MTU, I am not sure if that needs to be set in dd-wrt or the uml. I am not really that experienced in routing. I'm not a novice, but not a guru. From reading up on TCP MSS, it seems that the myu needs to change on eth3 and in the the TCPMSS target of iptables. I'll have to try that later.

On another note, good talking to you again. I think we actually had a brief exchange on b3n.org.
feeble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I messed around with mtu's last night to no avail. I feel that is a red herring. My only issues seem to be http traffic. Pings run fine, and when I play videos through netflix, or hulu, it's fine. Just http traffic seems to be flaky. It's strange. But my suspicion is the double nat'ing between the router and the uml295. I am tempted to plug in my usb551l and see if the issues clear up. If the uml295 had a bridge mode, I think that would help. But I have not seen that option. Just the port forwarding option on the diag page.

reference: http://www.proxicast.com/AbsoluteFM/afmmain.aspx?faqid=272
feeble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dead thread? At least this one seems dead. So the only way I see the double nat issue being resolved is to put the device in IPPT. The device has drivers and a utility for windows. I am not sure how this could be enabled in dd-wrt. If it could be put in that mode it would assign the verizon ip to the router avoiding double nat.

Checking IPTT and installing the driver and utility on a windows box will only work on that PC. You cannot make the change and then put it in the router, it will default back to standard mode using the MBM.
elwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
feeble wrote:
Dead thread? At least this one seems dead. So the only way I see the double nat issue being resolved is to put the device in IPPT. The device has drivers and a utility for windows. I am not sure how this could be enabled in dd-wrt. If it could be put in that mode it would assign the verizon ip to the router avoiding double nat.

Checking IPTT and installing the driver and utility on a windows box will only work on that PC. You cannot make the change and then put it in the router, it will default back to standard mode using the MBM.

I think the biggest issues with slow responses is mainly that nearly everyone involved has tried everything and exhausted all ideas. Another is that email notifications of new posts do not work.

As for the IPPT mode, it's possible. If you notice on the MBR95, it uses IPPT.

How did your USB551L work? I tried mine but for whatever reason it would not see or connect to any LTE towers so I didn't do any further testing.
bdonkey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
feeble wrote:
Well I messed around with mtu's last night to no avail. I feel that is a red herring. My only issues seem to be http traffic. Pings run fine, and when I play videos through netflix, or hulu, it's fine. Just http traffic seems to be flaky. It's strange. But my suspicion is the double nat'ing between the router and the uml295. I am tempted to plug in my usb551l and see if the issues clear up. If the uml295 had a bridge mode, I think that would help. But I have not seen that option. Just the port forwarding option on the diag page.

reference: http://www.proxicast.com/AbsoluteFM/afmmain.aspx?faqid=272

FYI, I am using it in double NAT and it is working fine as long as I have another box in between (OpenWRT bridging the UML295's USB interface with an Ethernet port on the switch, not doing any routing or NAT)

UML295 -> USB on OpenWRT RT-N13U -> bridged to a LAN port on OpenWRT RT-N13U -> WAN port of DD-WRT 1750DHP with static WAN IP 192.168.32.50, gateway 192.168.32.2

Unfortunately, still not able to eliminate the issues we've all experience in this thread if it's connected directly to a USB port on my 1750DHP with DD-WRT...

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
This might be helpful: http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/u620-linux-integration-guide-7-17-15.pdf

Documentation from Verizon for using their latest USB "MiFi" Modem, the U620L, in what I believe is IPPT mode. Since the UML295 also uses CDC-ECM, perhaps this info could be adapted for the UML295?

If you notice in the IPPT guide Verizon has for the UML295 (http://pcdn2-download.vzw.com/win/UML295/UML295_IPPT_UserGuide-v2.pdf), they only offer info for Windows, however it may be possible to use a Windows computer to set the UML295 to be in IPPT mode (at which point you can no longer access it via web), and then use an adaptation of the linux commands in the first link (for the U620L) to set the UML295 to be in IPPT mode w/a Linux server, or in this case, a Linux-based DD-WRT router.

Or we could wait until the U620L becomes reasonably-priced on eBay/Amazon and just use it instead of the UML295.

I couldn't get the UML295 to work with my Netgear WNDR3700 v4 router (same as earlier in this thread) using the latest beta firmware from dd-wrt. Not sure if it's the firmware, but that's the only thing that's changed since a couple of years ago when I last tried this (earlier in this thread). I have a raspberry pi en route, I'll see if I can use it as a cradlepoint router essentially, it's cheaper than a new router/an actual cradlepoint.
elwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimmyco2008 wrote:
This might be helpful: http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/user_guide/u620-linux-integration-guide-7-17-15.pdf

Documentation from Verizon for using their latest USB "MiFi" Modem, the U620L, in what I believe is IPPT mode. Since the UML295 also uses CDC-ECM, perhaps this info could be adapted for the UML295?

If you notice in the IPPT guide Verizon has for the UML295 (http://pcdn2-download.vzw.com/win/UML295/UML295_IPPT_UserGuide-v2.pdf), they only offer info for Windows, however it may be possible to use a Windows computer to set the UML295 to be in IPPT mode (at which point you can no longer access it via web), and then use an adaptation of the linux commands in the first link (for the U620L) to set the UML295 to be in IPPT mode w/a Linux server, or in this case, a Linux-based DD-WRT router.

Or we could wait until the U620L becomes reasonably-priced on eBay/Amazon and just use it instead of the UML295.

I couldn't get the UML295 to work with my Netgear WNDR3700 v4 router (same as earlier in this thread) using the latest beta firmware from dd-wrt. Not sure if it's the firmware, but that's the only thing that's changed since a couple of years ago when I last tried this (earlier in this thread). I have a raspberry pi en route, I'll see if I can use it as a cradlepoint router essentially, it's cheaper than a new router/an actual cradlepoint.

Keep us updated on the raspberry pi. Sounds interesting.
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure thing. I'm thinking even without IPPT, I at least would not technically have a double NAT issue, since it'd just be like plugging the UML295 into an Ubuntu desktop machine and sharing the connection over ethernet. Technically still double NAT though...

I have been using the Novatel LTE Router with Voice. but the web settings are so limited- there's no way to disable NAT and have the LTE router just be a modem, so IPv6 addresses aren't assigned to devices on the LAN if my router's NAT/DHCP is enabled. With the Pi, I should also be able to use a greater variety of USB modems- for example I have an LG VL600 that uses a proprietary ethernet driver which dd-wrt devs won't support, but it works fine on Ubuntu/Fedora/etc. The VL600 is Band 13 only, so speeds are going to be a lot lower, but at least it does IPPT oob.

I'll spend time with both modems of course.
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally got the Pi after ~2 weeks. No official build for Ubuntu Snappy Core, only the Raspberry Pi 2 supported so far, but I installed an unofficial build that works. UML295 isn't recognized on this, either. Google tells me there are issues in newer (12.04 and newer or so) versions of Ubuntu and the only solution seems to be to downgrade modemmanager or replace it with wader-core (wader-core alternative D-Bus service for managing modems: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/wader-core/). Giving it a go.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimmyco2008 wrote:
Finally got the Pi after ~2 weeks. No official build for Ubuntu Snappy Core, only the Raspberry Pi 2 supported so far, but I installed an unofficial build that works. UML295 isn't recognized on this, either. Google tells me there are issues in newer (12.04 and newer or so) versions of Ubuntu and the only solution seems to be to downgrade modemmanager or replace it with wader-core (wader-core alternative D-Bus service for managing modems: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/wader-core/). Giving it a go.

Don't believe everything you read on the net..
UML295 is not a dial-up modem but a direct ethernet mobile adapter so there is nothing ModemManager can manage in it.
You'll have to take care of the created ethernet device yourself, configure it and dhcp pull an ip address from it.
Then it will appear for use in NetworkManager

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I ended up on Ubuntu MATE since Core is apparently very niche as far as the user-base goes (also having some issues with the unofficial Core image). I was experiencing the "blue light/constant reset" issue that's all over the Internet, and resolved it by stopping/disabling ModemManager via:

Code:
systemctl disable ModemManager.service

... in Terminal. The UML295 begins working almost immediately. I've actually been using "stop" instead of "disable" so it doesn't persist through a reboot, but "disable" probably persists... Anyway, I'm just using NetworkManager in the GUI to share the connection over the Pi's ethernet port and it works as expected. Download speeds seem normal on networked devices, but upload is about 1/3-1/4 what it should be. Haven't run a speed test on the Pi as it's quite slow in the GUI and I haven't bothered installing flash/Chrome/a CLI speed test utility.

OpenWRT supports the Pi through 2 at least, and support for 3 is probably in progress. That's likely the way I'll go as I have no need for a complete Linux install/would prefer the straightforward "router stuff" delivered in "router web gui"/telnet format.
elwood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
jimmyco2008 wrote:
I ended up on Ubuntu MATE since Core is apparently very niche as far as the user-base goes (also having some issues with the unofficial Core image). I was experiencing the "blue light/constant reset" issue that's all over the Internet, and resolved it by stopping/disabling ModemManager via:

Code:
systemctl disable ModemManager.service

... in Terminal. The UML295 begins working almost immediately. I've actually been using "stop" instead of "disable" so it doesn't persist through a reboot, but "disable" probably persists... Anyway, I'm just using NetworkManager in the GUI to share the connection over the Pi's ethernet port and it works as expected. Download speeds seem normal on networked devices, but upload is about 1/3-1/4 what it should be. Haven't run a speed test on the Pi as it's quite slow in the GUI and I haven't bothered installing flash/Chrome/a CLI speed test utility.

OpenWRT supports the Pi through 2 at least, and support for 3 is probably in progress. That's likely the way I'll go as I have no need for a complete Linux install/would prefer the straightforward "router stuff" delivered in "router web gui"/telnet format.

Thanks for the info and keeping us updated. I'm very interested in a setup like this to replace my MBR95 that i have to reboot every few days or it becomes quite sluggish/slow.
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm back at trying to get the UML295 working with my WNDR3700. I realized that years ago (page 3-4 of this thread) I was using a WNDR4500, which gets the Giga version of DD-WRT, while the WNDR3700 gets merely Standard. So I assume it doesn't come with the CDC Ethernet driver for the UML295.

With the commands from earlier in this thread, I could not get eth3 to show up in ifconfig. That's probably because the WNDR3700 doesn't have the driver(s) that come with Giga. Also just read that only Broadcom based routers get Giga/Mega, everyone else is stuck with Standard (the WNDR3700v4 is Atheros-based).

Am I SOL for using the UML295 with Standard DDWRT? I think I can manually load the driver(s) but that may involve compiling a custom version of DD-WRT? The WNDR3700v4 has 128/128 like the WNDR4500, so there's certainly space. Via telnet, I see that the WNDR3700v4 recognizes the UML295 and refers to it as the Pantech UML295. But I guess all that means is I have core USB support (duh).

Anyway, the Pi I'm about ready to give up on. There still is not an OpenWRT build for the 3, and it doesn't make much sense to have a separate device that goes to the WiFi router. Might as well just buy an R7000 and call it a day... My rationale with the Pi was that either way the cellular connection is going to an Apple Airport Extreme, so I'd need two devices anyway, but with AC so much faster than 1300Mbps these days, I may just pick up another router. Of course I don't really have a need for AC WiFi, obviously I'm not even maxing out megabit with LTE. Just some stuff to think about if you're considering a Pi. It'll work, but it's a matter of how "complicated" you want your setup to be, and for what? Either way there's no IP Passthrough. I will say though the Pi is A LOT snappier with a class U3 SD card (I had class 4 before). It's like going from a 5400 RPM HDD to an SSD (ironically read/write speeds of a U3 are about that of a 5400 RPM HDD).
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm now using the UML295 with the Linksys WRT1200ACv2 using this for the startup commands:

Code:

insmod usbnet
insmod cdc_ether

udhcpc -i eth2

nvram set wan_default=eth2
nvram set wan_iface=eth2
nvram set wan_ifname=eth2
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth2
nvram set wan_ifname2=eth2
nvram commit

udhcpc -i eth2

No firewall commands and it's working flawlessly (no page/download timeouts).

This router is using DD-WRT Std, so I wonder if my earlier comment about needing Mega or Giga was incorrect.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: