No public IP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
caseymx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18    Post subject: No public IP? Reply with quote
I just set up my last 2 IP security cameras at my park. There I have HughesNet sattelite. I also have a pc there that I currently remote into using TeamViewer without any isuues. I can log into my cameras as long as I am in the local network but cannot connect to them from the internet with the port forwarding set up. I have the same cameras at my home and have them set up the same way but I am not on sattelite internet there.
I have dome some research and everything I come up with is that with the sattelite, there is no oublic IP. I don't quite understand this as TeamViewer connects flawlessly. I should be able to take the same route as it? The addressing is weird with the sattelite setup and I am not experienced with this. The router reports one set of addresses but if I check my ip on the internet, it shows up completely different.

Sponsor
Samdotr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://whois.domaintools.com/100.114.138.138

That IP address is a Carrier Grade NAT address, if you're behind a Carrier Grade NAT you can't port forward:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

TeamViewer doesn't need port forwards to work, I used it for a year in university halls which used a Carrier Grade NAT.

There are a couple of workarounds which you can try but they require you having access to a VPN or SSH server on an internet connection which you can port forward on (such as your home connection).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: