Bricked WNDR4500V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I have 3 of these that give a half dozen or so ttl=100 pings but the when the cfe log shows waiting for reset button release, the pings stop.
I can never stop the cfe.

I also briked mine y wrong flash. And only serial give me chance to go back. There is no "Waiing for reset message" in mine, СFE print this only if I hold reset button and power cycle router. But there is no boot wait in mine, so I need to hold reset, power of, and be quick with Ctrl-C sequence to get promt _before_ it will say "Loading..." and "Checking CRC..."
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad you fixed yours.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Re: Thanks HalfBit Reply with quote
tsynik wrote:

I think you have no way to flash this baby without serial cable. That's because IF power led not blinking, you can't put it to TFTP mode by any buttons.
Those pings are from CFE, when it tries to load kernel image from tftp 192.168.1.2 (it's always happening on boot). Probably there is a way to put proper image on pc which acts as TFTP server with this address, so it'll load, but I dunno how and what this image can be )

Serial is easy, one note: to get CFE promt and type "tftp" there sometimes you need be very quick before CFE will say Loading... Checking crk etc. I use reset button, power cycle with reset to defaults, and Ctrl-C keybard sequence to interrupt the process, and when you un CFE> promt - just type tftpd there and you can flash anything you want )))

Serial is only one soldered 6-ping socket inside. PINS are GND|TX|NC|NC|RX|+3.3V. You need only 3 wires: GND at a side and TX+RX.

You actually answered my next question before I asked it. Ok I have the board exposed and I see the 6 pin socket. 3 of those holes are occupied already. So my next question - are those the 3 pins I need to connect to? Or specifically which pin numbers in the socket? See attached jpeg(s). And THANK YOU for your help and guidance thus far. I'll probably need more, but first things first.

Remembered to bring Fluke from work, forgot to bring soldering iron, so I'm off to the store.

WNDR4500v1_board.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  584.64 KB
 Viewed:  12107 Time(s)

WNDR4500v1_board.JPG

WNDR4500v1_J252_socket.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  432.71 KB
 Viewed:  12107 Time(s)

WNDR4500v1_J252_socket.JPG

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 18:39    Post subject: Thank you Malachi Reply with quote
Excellent! Whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words had no idea just HOW prophetic it was!

Thank you very much, Malachi.
Dumba$$ [doo -MAHZ]
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 19:48    Post subject: Re: Thanks HalfBit Reply with quote
[quote="tsynik
Serial is only one soldered 6-ping socket inside. PINS are GND|TX|NC|NC|RX|+3.3V. You need only 3 wires: GND at a side and TX+RX.[/quote]

Just realized you gave me the pinout in that statement. It became crystal clear when I saw the jpeg that Malachi posted. Thanks again.

Pins are in place now. I'll let you know if I see the "waiting for reset" when I get to that point. That's assuming I succeeded in soldering the pins and not causing any other damage. Crossing my fingers.
Dumba$$ [doo -MAHZ]
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 22:19    Post subject: Here goes nothing (?), or something... Reply with quote
Ok so I built a cable using DB9 cable and the following connections:
Rx from DB9 (pin 2) going to Tx on router,
Tx from DB9 (pin 3) going to Rx on router,
GND from DB9 (pin 5) going to GND on router.

One thing I'm not clear about - the serial recovery wiki talks about having to do voltage level shift to +3.3V.

Is that only if using USB? I'm not hooked into the +3.3V pin 1 on router, so that is not relevant to my setup, correct?

I have HyperTerminal running with config:
115200, 8, none, 1, none - it says connected.

I think I'm ready to power on router and start hitting Ctrl-C. Am I correct so far?
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 22:34    Post subject: Re: Here goes nothing (?), or something... Reply with quote
Dumba$$ [doo -MAHZ] wrote:

I have HyperTerminal running with config:
115200, 8, none, 1, none - it says connected.

I think I'm ready to power on router and start hitting Ctrl-C. Am I correct so far?

Just try ) I'm not sure about levels (I used USB-UART converter on CP2102 which have that switch). You must receive output from СFE boot.
Dumba$$ [doo -MAHZ]
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 22:56    Post subject: got something, not sure what Reply with quote
Ok good news is all systems still doing the same as far as lights.

Also and probably important. Verified voltage on pin 5 of router is 3.3 while connected in HyperTerminal.

On initial power-up, saw gobbledygook while trying to Ctrl-C, and only power light lit solid amber. Then after lights came on, all solid - power = green, 2.4 = green, 5.0 = blue, more gobbledygook, but with some legible items.

see attached jpeg(s)

So is it now a matter of the timing of Ctrl-C to interrupt the boot process?

Powerup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.37 KB
 Viewed:  12032 Time(s)

Powerup.jpg

Tminus4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.72 KB
 Viewed:  12032 Time(s)

Tminus4.jpg

tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope, there must be readable text on terminal. Your adapter doesn't work as expected. Switch TX with RX maybe? 115200-N-1 is OK. Flow control must be OFF.

Last edited by tsynik on Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:07; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need a USB to uart adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:24    Post subject: well at least I have my health? Reply with quote
Bummer! Ok then.

Yeah, I thought about maybe swapping the Rx and Tx. Thought about jacking with/nailing down COM port settings in motherboard BIOS, HyperTerminal settings, etc.

The hunting and pecking has been fun to the extent of bringing back old fond memories, but then realizing just how far we've come and how much easier and better hardware is these days. I'm to the point of wanting to use a known good method.

I guess I'll be getting the USB to UART adapter. Wonder if Frys has them in stock? There's a Frys about 10 minutes from me.

I certainly appreciate all the help from both of you, tsynik and Malachi.

I guess if Frys doesn't have one, I'll get one from internet dot com, and try again after that.

-Barry Corbin in WarGames
tsynik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any phone data cable (probably with PL2303 IC inside) works too.
Dumba$$ [doo -MAHZ]
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 0:26    Post subject: Given the choice - which? Reply with quote
Ok, the Microcenter store about 15 minutes from me has two choices, allegedly both in stock.

Would the board version be preferred to the dongle version? Or does it matter at all?

Thanks.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=usb+to+ttl

-Barry Corbin in WarGames
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
The $11 ones. Where are you located if I may ask?

Navigation

Jump to: