Repeater bridge on D-Link DIR-615 D1 router (and others)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
MadWire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm...

the other day I put the DIR-614 into the 'live' environment and I couldn't get auto to work anymore. Shocked

I'll get the device back into the lab ASAP,verify the settings again and report of my findings.

I'm sure I saw the correct behavior in the lab.

MadWire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since the DIR615 is not back in the lab yet, I played around with my WG602 devices.

Standard procedure:

» 30/30/30 hard reset
» browse to GUI and set user and password
» Wireless -> Wireless Security
. .Security Mode : WPA2 Personal
. .WPA Algorithms : AES
. .WPA Shared Key : "same as Host AP"
>SAVE
» Wireless -> Basic Settings
. .Wireless Mode : [Client|Client Bridge|Repeater|Repeater Bridge]
. .Wireless Net Mode : Mixed
. .Wireless Net Name : "same as Host AP"
. .Wireless Channel : Auto
>SAVE
» Setup -> Basic Setup
. .Connection Type : Auto. Config DHCP (for Client or Repeater mode)
. .Router Name : Router
. .Host Name : Host (for Client or Repeater mode)
>SAVE
>Apply Settings

In all configurations the channel was automatically changed to the channel of the Host AP and followed when the channel of the Host AP was changed.

The only odd thing I noticed was that I had to set the Host AP from TKIP+AES to AES only for the Client or Repeater mode to connect. Client Bridged and Repeater Bridged mode worked with TKIP+AES on the Host AP.

Nevertheless, Ill check the configurations again when the DIR-615 is back in the lab.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote: "In all configurations the channel was automatically changed to the channel of the Host AP and followed when the channel of the Host AP was changed."

Hallo MadWire,
since this thread is not closed up to now my question:
Did you already check this topic in practice? What are you findings?
Although I was "brushed off" by a GURU for me it's always a topic.
I like to understand why on my two DIR-615rev.B (router) and rev.H (dd-wrt, repeater bridge) auto selection of the wifi channel doesn't work. It should in theory but it doesn't in practice.
ervau
MadWire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ervau,

I finally got the DIR-615 back in the lab.

Going through the wireless mode client, repeater and repeater bridge, I found that as soon as a AP functionality is involved, the channel is not selected correctly anymore.

While in Client mode (sta) the Router operates as a wireless client and therefore follows the channel modifications on the HostAP.

As soon as any repeater mode is selected, the Router operates in a mixed AP/Client mode (apsta or apstawet). As it seems, on the DIR-615, the 'auto' config of the channel is controlled by the AP side and not by the Client side.
On the WG602 the channel control works 'as designed'.

I would call this a bug!

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo MadWire,

thx for this information. It means that's not pure imagination when I didn't get the repeater bridge mode working with channel auto selection of the repeater.
It seems that the effect in discussion depends on the router brand or type.
Anyway again thanks a lot.

ervau
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ervau and @MadWire
I'll update my DIR-615 D2 today with the latest 25544 and set it up as repeater bridge, let's see how it behaves. I didn't have time to play with this router for a while now, since it's my main one, but today's its last day as main... daddy will replace you heheh...
MadWire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ervau
yupp, it seems to be a problem with the router brand, type, or chip set.

Nevertheless, I opened a ticked.
(http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3809)

Let's see what the developers think of it. Wink

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo MadWire.
thx a lot. Beeing brushed off by a GURU concerning my problem now everything is ok in my world again.
I thought I was fancing this issue. I tested and tested and always found that I have to set not channel auto selction to the repeater bridge to get connected.
Let's see what they say.
ervau
sheepshaker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm similar thing happens on DIR-615 rev. H2 using the latest build.
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hallo sheepshaker,
did you get your H2 really upgraded to r25544? If yes, how. I wasn't able to do that with my H1. The DLink says upgrading for a few seconds, it reboots, but the previous FW is still on.
ervau
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ervau and @ MadWire
I finally managed to test the DIR-615 D2 (build 25179) in Client, Repeater and Repeater Bridge modes.
Your observations are right on the money, so I confirm your troubles with getting the Repeater modes to connect to the Host AP if Auto Channel is set instead of a fixed channel before hitting Save.

When Save or Apply is pressed, the Channel selection disappears, as it should, but it seems that the previous channel selection (when the router was still in AP mode) is remembered somehow. In my case, if I set Channel 11 in AP mode, and then switch over to Repeater mode, the channel remains on 11 and connects correctly to the Host AP (which broadcasts on 11).
But, if I set Auto in AP mode and then switch to Repeater mode, the Repeater doesn't follow/connect to the correct channel broadcasted by the Host AP. For me, the Repeater tries to connect on Channel 13, for whatever reason, even if the Host AP broadcasts on Channel 11. This is indeed, a bug !

However, in Client mode the router connects with Auto Channel to the Host AP and follows the channel modifications of the Host AP ! It seems that the bug is only present in Repeater modes.

*Note: I updated the bug report in ticket 3809:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3809
ervau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Kryptex
Totally aggreed to what you explain in your recent post.
That was the reason why I proposed to let the channel selection on the screen and not to hide after hitting "save". On the other hand maybe that would be a way to safe some bytes Very Happy .
ervau
plazma
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to dig an old thread

There is a way to Use "Repeater Bridge" and make it work as "Client Bridge", ie without the Repeater function.

See my post here.

Smile
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...it doesn't seem to be brand specific...I have a Buffalo WHR-300HP2 unit that does similar things to your units...

I say similar because if I change the channel select on my Repeater Bridge to "Auto"....it set the channel to 14 (my network is channel 11 from my Host AP)

Also...I have to click Apply to get my channel to stick...Save isn't enough.

So...from the Wireless tab...I put in my Host AP SSID, select AP mode, hard code channel 11...hit apply...the unit then will set the channel....now I can go back in and change the mode to Repeater Bridge and configure as normal.

Its very strange...and once I hard code the channel to 11....the unit seems to work find with build 26138....(unless I'd change the host channel...then a reconfigure would be in order)

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 15:53; edited 1 time in total
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
This Auto channel selection bug in Repeater mode seems to affect some (all ?) Ralink routers. For further reference, here are the concerned tickets:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3809
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4029

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: