LAN Failover to WAN question (Interesting situation)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jrble819
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 0:26    Post subject: LAN Failover to WAN question (Interesting situation) Reply with quote
I have an interesting situation and am looking for guidance on how to set it up.

My dd-wrt router is currently just operating as a switch and an access point. The router/gateway is on the other end of a wireless bridge (for reasons I won't get into -- this gets me more speed than the ISP modem right beside the dd-wrt router). This setup works great, but I need to setup a failover solution in the event that the wireless bridge might go down or the ISP at the wireless head-end drops out.

In the current setup, the feed from the bridge is just plugged into a LAN port so that both ends of the wireless bridge will be on the same network. In the primary operating mode, this needs to remain the same.

If the bridge fails, I need to essentially have dd-wrt start routing traffic through a new interface hooked up to the cable modem right beside it. So, dd-wrt will need to have that interface setup as a WAN connection and will need to start handing out DHCP and taking over all the duties of a standard router/gateway when the bridge fails.

I've tried to use this article (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover) as a stepping stone, but I'm not having much luck.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I might be overthinking this because it seems like it should be a simple switch with a monitoring script similar to the on in the link above, but I just can't get anywhere with this.

Thanks again!
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Move the wireless client into the wan side and use a routed connection, not a bridge.
jrble819
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Move the wireless client into the wan side and use a routed connection, not a bridge.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The wireless bridge is transparent to the dd-wrt router. The bridge is established by two Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 Loco radios. So it's not handled at all by the dd-wrt router. Essentially, right now, the dd-wrt router is just acting as a switch and AP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: