TP-Link Archer C7 V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
dratta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19    Post subject: TP-Link Archer C7 V2 Reply with quote
Hi All,
I have never flashed a router with custom firmware before. I was wondering if anyone could help me as I don't want to stuff it up.

As the subject notes i have TP-Link Archer C7 V2,
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32498-tp-link-archer-c7-v2-reviewed

I am not satisfied with the stock firmware as there are features unavailable that I would normally use. Some of the features in particular are:

* Inbound IP filtering
* VPN via the router (PIA)
* Traffic prioritisation

I realise now I should have chosen a different router however seeing as i have already spent the money i figured I would see if there was any other alternatives.

Can anyone tell me if:
1. the router can be flashed with a dd-wrt firmware?
--If so what firmware I should use? (link if possible)
2. there is a step by step guide on how to flash the router with to the custom firmware?
3. flashing the router will unlock the all/some of features noted earlier?

As I have said I have never done this before. I am really looking for guidance to ensure i do not brick the device (provided it can be flashed)
Code:
Sponsor
thadius856
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just did this myself. I'm expecting an inflow of users since this unit came at a great price for several days ($60) over the BF weekend.

I can't answer yet if those features are present, but here's how I just flashed it to DD-WRT.

Download the most recent factory firmware (140929) here:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=Archer+C7&version=V2
Unzip to a place you'll remember where it is.

Download the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/tplink_archer-c7-v2/

Default 192.168.0.1, l//p admin//admin

Don't change any settings yet! Once in the management page:

System Tools > Factory Defaults. Reset to Factory.

Wait for it to finish and reboot. Log back in, same l//p.

System Tools > Firmware Upgrade. Select the factory firmware update binary:
ArcherC7v2_v3_en_3_14_1_up_boot(140929).bin
Click Upgrade, answer Yes to prompt.

Wait for it to finish and reboot. Log back in, same l//p.

System Tools > Firmware Upgrade. Select the factory-to-ddwrt binary.
Click Upgrade, answer Yes to prompt. Wait for reboot.

Router will come back up, but this time on 192.168.1.1.

Configure to your heart's content. Smile
dratta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply, any chance you could check and post back if any of the features i mentioned are unlocked?
amokk123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23    Post subject: Starnge behavior Reply with quote
I have Installed the vers: 11-20-2014-r25408 on my Tp-Link Archer C7 v2.0. I got a strange behavior on the Lan Link light.
I have all 4 lan ports connected to different devices. I notice that device with Giga net lights up as it should (Solid Green). But device with 100GB the LAN lights is off. (It is only the light, the device ar connected to internet and working as it should).
Anyone else seen this strange behavior ??
I have downgraded to an earlier relase, same result.
Could anyone else check out this??
torankusu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi All,

yes same here but this is not big deal since it doesn't affect the router's performance, it is just an Led light.

That being said remember that this router is relatively new to the DDWRT world so they might still be some bugs that could be fix in the future.
I'm just grateful that the current firmware works excellent for what i use it so far.

This would be fix, probably as time goes by and more users pick this device.

Regards.
zoomzoom9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've heard TP-Link routers can be bricked pretty easily if you try to revert from dd-wrt back to the factory firmware. I just got mine and would love to try dd-wrt but without much testing so far on it, I'd like to be able to revert to factory if it gives me problems. Does anyone know if this is true about TP-Link firmware? Would I be able to easily go back to the factory firmware if I installed dd-wrt?
theweasel68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
thadius856 wrote:

Download the factory-to-ddwrt.bin file here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/11-20-2014-r25408/tplink_archer-c7-v2/

Hi,
I am also thinking about flashing DD-WRT to an Archer C7 v2.

I found this firmware from Brainslayer for the router:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/12-03-2014-r25544/tplink_archer-c7-v2/

So as you are stating another firmware, it is unclear to me, what to choose?

Which one is the more "stable" one?
According to which criteria should I choose?
Thx
torankusu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm on r25544, no issues so far besides the already known bugs.
dratta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So where do i find the latest versions of the firmare to use?
Are there any release notes?

I am still very interested in doing this however I am thinking of holding off untill the major bugs are ironed out.

Torankusu - Can you confirm if any of the following is available after the firmware upgrade?

* Inbound IP filtering
* VPN via the router (PIA)
* Traffic prioritisation

Thanks.
fx4pty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, I bought an Archer C7 v2, I installed the 25408 beta firmware, everything works right, I only have 1 issue, I can't see the USB HDD when using Samba server on my Windows laptops, as I have them on my Netgear Nighthawk. I use it for 2 purposes, for video recording of my security cam, and for backup on my laptops, it is working properly for recording, but I can't access it on my laptops, only using FTP, but that is not what I used to do it on my Nighthawk, anyone experiencing this same thing, or have any idea what I'm doing wrong, I don't have right now the number of the build I'm using on the Asus, will try to check it later when I'm at home.

Thanks in Advanced.

Fx
fx4pty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
No worries, I went and investigate deeply and found that this build don't have the nmdb installed, so you need to manually on windows add a network drive and type \\Router_IP_Address\(your shared folder) and it map the network drive.

Thanks for your time, and hope this helps anyone else with my same issue.

Regards,

Fx
zoomzoom9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
torankusu wrote:
Hi,

I'm on r25544, no issues so far besides the already known bugs.

Have you noticed any improvements in signal quality and speed, or is it about the same?
travis82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
5ghz chans not all are showing
Insolsh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 25648, flashed from stock. Haven't noticed any bugs, other than embedded privoxy not working.

It could be a coincidence, but my 5ghz wireless channel started showing after setting to auto. It picked 36, while it was only working on 136 before.

About speeds, I don't know how to test its maximum but it's more than enough to cap my 100Mb internet speed, so there's that.
shallowfish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 0:21    Post subject: USB Modem Reply with quote
I hope this thread is still active. I purchased an Archer C7 v2.0 dual band wireless router thinking it would recognize a USB modem. Can the dd-wrt be programmed to find and use the USB Modem as an internet connection? Otherwise, I'll have to buy something else. I also live in a rural area and have to use a Verizon Cell tower for my Internet access. Am using a Home Fusion and it works OK but is slow compared to the newest Hot Spots. Verizon last week allowed the HF to be added to a cell phone plan and that plan has 40gb of data used by all the devices on the plan. Not great but better than it was....thanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: