This thread is a forum about this forum.

Jib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:43    Post subject: This thread is a forum about this forum. Reply with quote
So I think everyone knows that there is an enormous wealth of misinformation (be it outdated or blatantly incorrect) around this ecosystem. The main site, the wiki, and even parts of the peacock thread itself! I also think we all know that these aren't going to be corrected any time soon (my account is new, but I've been a lurker for several years). This has been brought up in past threads as well.

That being said, let's discuss some other things that could improve the experience here.

For starters, I find it extremely surprising that there isn't a sub-forum specifically for the website. I understand that this is the forum for general inquiries and other posts, but the sticky at the top of the forum seems to push that this sub-forum is for firmware-related posts, just not for specific devices. Why isn't there a sub-forum for everything not related to the firmware? This is a community, after all. After reading the sticky, I would say that this isn't the correct forum for this thread. But if not here, in the general forum, then where?

Moving on... My largest gripe about the forums is the extremely outdated version of phpBB that is being used. There have been a plethora of updates made to phpBB since these forums were last updated. STILL rocking phpBB2? Seriously? Yea yea.... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Heads up: It's broken. New users come to the site, make a post asking for help, and are directed (usually in a rude manner) to the FAQ, the wiki, the peacock thread, and the search function. This is a pretty acceptable and standard practice; anyone who needs to ask a question on a tech-related forum should search for their question because the information they need is likely out there somewhere. Quick question though: When was the last time you used the search feature on this forum? Do you have any idea how difficult it is to search for threads that are actually relevant to your needs? These forums need advanced search. If there's one feature to add to the site, that's it. If I want to find threads about a router that became unpopular 5 years ago, I can't just search for the name of the device, because the search includes every post that has mentioned it, even if it's just in someone's signature! We have the ability to search either in the thread title and within the thread, or only within the thread. What is the point of that? Why isn't there an option to exclusively search the titles? It would be excellent if the team would look into migrating to phpBB3. It's 2014, and migration is possible while keeping important data in-tact. It would be nice if we had the features that are now standard on forums; it would make the forums a more friendly place. Less people posting redundant questions, less people yelling at them, and increased productivity.

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/

https://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

End rant.

If my comments in this post upset anybody, please understand that this is not meant to be a personal attack of any sort. I am merely a frustrated user, saying what's on my mind. Mods: if I have stepped out of line with this post, please let me know via PM (unless you feel that this thread is the appropriate place); I do not intend to cause any harm and I would prefer to avoid conflict.

I would like to encourage people to comment on this thread with your feelings on the site. Feel free to leave some comments on what I've said as well. For all I know, there's a very specific reason why the forums have remained in this state, and it may be what is best for the site. Please share your thoughts.

Quote:
Forum - noun:
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
just..yes..

and about that peacock thread..just pretend to praise it, if u dont someone from the broadcom section might try to burn ur house down..they look to that thread like its god, flawless, & never wrong

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: