Difficulty accessing PPTP or OpenVPN server on ASUS RT-AC66U

effectivetechie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:15    Post subject: Difficulty accessing PPTP or OpenVPN server on ASUS RT-AC66U Reply with quote
Hi DD-WRT Community!

I am a new user of DD-WRT, but not a complete noob to networking (though definitely closer to the noob side than guru).

Here is what I am trying to accomplish with this post:
Get PPTP working in conjunction with a Microsoft surface (Windows 8.1) so that I can both access my ubuntu server and watch amazon streaming while I am travelling abroad most of next year.

Basically I am at the point where I can get connected to the VPN (windows says 'connected' under the VPN I set up) with the windows machine when using a mobile hotspot, but wireless network (my hotspot) quickly shows "limited" and cannot connect to the internet or see any other devices on the network like I can when connected directly to the router.

I have tried several different configurations and none seem to change the outcome. What would a good next troubleshooting step be and what information can I provide (some basics provided below)

Router: Asus RT-AC66R (I understand this to now be the same as the AC66U as the only difference was the asus firmware)
Firmware: Brainslayer v24-sp2 (12/15/14) giga - build 25648

PPTP Server Settings:
Broadcast: Disable
MPPE: Enable
DNS1: 192.168.1.1 (also have used 8.8.8.8, though i don't understand this setting)
DNS2: nothing
WINS1: 192.168.1.1 (also have used 8.8.8.8 and nothing, though i don't understand this setting)
WINS2: Nothing
MTU/MRU: defaults (1436/1436)
Server IP: 192.168.1.2
Client IP: 10.10.10.0-100

As a side note, my actual ultimate goal is to use OpenVPN as my VPN of choice, but I could not get that to work, even though it said connected (similar to how this is currently working), so I wanted to try something that was supposed to be easier and found out PPTP is not working either. I suspect the same issue to be with both of these showing connected yet not fully working so if I get PPTP fixed I will try OpenVPN again. I have searched the forums and found nothing that helped so now I am reaching out to ask for your advice.

Any advice you can give would be greatly helpful. Let me know what other information would be useful to provide. Thank you!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: