Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brandenhs wrote:

I have been looking at going to a wrt600n because I like the idea of using G and N at the same time. But can you still have a home network on 2 different wireless networks? And are there other options? I would like to stay around $150-$200

Yes, you can have multiple wlans, with mwlans, you could create them their own wireless network, and you could create one for yourself. A wrt600n isn't a bad choice either, most people i know that have them, hold on to them for dear life.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
rlprice5525
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I to am in the market to get a new router and was wanting something that could provide very good coverage through out my house. The house was built in 1974. My current WRT350N is aging and showing it's age and its temper at times.

Current devices on the network:

2 -- iPhone 3GS's soon to be replace by 4S'
1 -- Nook
1 -- 40 GB PS3 (no wireless N functionality)
1 -- Xbox 360 w/ Wireless N built in
1 -- Sony Laptop with Wireless G Card.
2 -- DirecTV Recievers a dvr and a reciever.

So a fair mix of legacy G stuff. I was researching some of Buffalo's stuff but there's so many N routers out now i want one that is getting great reviews like the WRT54G use to.

the WRT350N has trouble providing proper signal quality with it up on the 3rd level in the office.

Any recommendations?? Asus, Netgear, Buffalo and Linksys are all in my brand preferences.
cthart
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
rlprice5525 wrote:
So a fair mix of legacy G stuff. I was researching some of Buffalo's stuff but there's so many N routers out now i want one that is getting great reviews like the WRT54G use to.

the WRT350N has trouble providing proper signal quality with it up on the 3rd level in the office.

Any recommendations?? Asus, Netgear, Buffalo and Linksys are all in my brand preferences.

I've been very happy with my Netgear WNDR3700's (both version 1). I have mostly N clients, with 1 G client. You can set this up quite easily. It can also do simultaneous dual-band (which you'll probably need too).

An alternative to consider (definitely not DD-WRT compatible) is an Apple Airport Extreme.

Cheers,

Colin (donning his flame retardent suit).
cthart
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brandenhs wrote:
I have been looking at going to a wrt600n because I like the idea of using G and N at the same time. But can you still have a home network on 2 different wireless networks? And are there other options? I would like to stay around $150-$200

Like I mentioned above, a Netgear WNDR3700 could be a good choice. I have both G and N on the 2.4Ghz band, and N-only on the 5Ghz band.

Cheers,

Colin
TanKCR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:49    Post subject: So Many Choices!! Reply with quote
Hey all, I currently have a Linksys WRT160NL running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896, I am not very happy with it so far. Even when I was running the stock firmware it did not seem very stable. I would like to replace it and put it somewhere in the house as a repeater but so far I am very conflicted. I have always bought Linksys, but it seems like the ASUS gets the best marks for speed? I want to harness my bandwidth for streaming as best I can, I get 50Mbps to the house, have a ton of devices, and a media server. Should I go with the ASUS even though it is an aging device, or is there something newer that kicks butt!
rekojeht
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
DELETED: See first post.
Neil1454
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I ask, is the Netgear WNDR3700 VPN compatible with the flashing of dd-wrt?

Is it a good choice for stability and features with the dd-wrt firmware?

I need to be sure the likes of OPENVPN can be used with this router and it's up to the task power wise.
Or is there something better that is still on the market from the likes of Linksys?

thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
@All:

No one can EVER answer the question "should I buy it" or "is it worth it" or "what do I need". (I was going to buy a Lexus, but I saw that the Ferrari is faster...which one should I buy?)

USE the information in this thread to gather information and then you have to make your own choice based on that.

If you are considering a specific router, often there is a thread dedicated to that router. Search to find additional information on specific router that is more than is in this thread if you have narrowed down your choices to a few.

RT-N16 remains a good solid all around router at a reasonable price. Never presume an unsupported router will be supported "sometime" and it is just a matter of waiting. Here for example is specific information on the RT-N66U which is Asus's latest 'beast' of a router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
NobbyJ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

Looking for a router purely for running Asterisk on, which i believe is installed as part of the Optware packages?

The Netgear WNR834B seems to be an option at the moment unless anyone can suggest a better alternative?

Thanks.
ravenlost
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are my requirements:

I have a DLink DNS-325: http://sharecenter.dlink.com/products/DNS-325

which is running with 2 WD Caviar Black drives.

Specs for the DNS325 reads 1 x 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet. I think the NAS has the right specs... yes?

I need my NAS connected to my router through ethernet. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the fastest connection to my NAS would be to connect my PC to this same router through ethernet as well (as I believe it would be faster then wifi). As of this writing, it's perfectly acceptable to use an ethernet connection instead wifi for my PC.

I need the fastest connection possible from my PC to my NAS for heavy photo processing (sometimes with gigabit files).

I also need wifi on occasional basis for my laptop, but nothing to serious. I also have a PS3 to which I'll stream some movies once in a while (NOT highdef). The streaming is done directly from my NAS with Mediatomb running on it. Additionally, my router needs to be setup as a repeater bridge as the main internet router is in the flat below me, no wiring possible.

My current router (WRT54GL) is working just fine, but my problem resides when I try to do my photo editing through my NAS. I'm connected through ethernet, but it's only a 10/100 Mbps connection so it's slow. This is why I was thinking of getting a 10/100/1000 Mbps router thinking it might help (?).

So... I narrowed down to 2 choices of routers as I previously said. Wondering if the new N66U would be worth the extra money over an Asus RT-N16; or if for my needs, it just wouldn't be that much of a difference.

Thanks, Pat
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
ravenlost wrote:
I need my NAS connected to my router through ethernet.

What data speed can your NAS handle, when connected by ethernet? I suspect it is less that Gigabit as normally NAS transfers are pretty slow.

So your question still translates to whether you need a faster processor/more memory to transfer to YOUR NAS, which has more to do with the NAS than any router requirements.

Lan to transfer Lan to Lan transfers do not depend on firmware and dd-wrt, or not, is irrelevant to these. A faster processor and more memory, which the RT-N66u has, will process data more quickly, but if the data transfer to the NAS is the weak link, the speed of the router will not matter.

You will get consistently better results with ethernet cable as opposed to wifi.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
SeeThruHead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 16:55    Post subject: Home network advice Reply with quote

Looking for the most stable and full featured way of implementing this network. QoS is a must. Dual band for the downstairs wireless is preferred. All clients must be able to talk to eachother over the network.

What routers/firmwares do you guys recommend for something like this? Or if you dont want to recommend something than please point me in a direction because I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the different routers and firmware builds available.

In short I need recommendation for full fledged 8 port wireless router/firmware, and recommendation for a wireless switch/AP that is wired to the first wireless router.
TechStream Solutions
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 17:21    Post subject: Multi Use Router Reply with quote
I am looking for suggestions on routers that can be:

1. Sold to the general public for usual in house use on the basic firmware.
2. Has 2 External Antennas.
3. Is DD-WRT Compatible for setting up Long Range Wifi with 14-24 dBi Directional antennas.
4. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (< $50)

I have been using the Asus RT-N12 but recently have been having trouble finding them in stock at my usual distributors.
Wam7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am in the U.K and used to own a WRT54GL which I sold when I got a ADSL line.
I am now back on 100Mb cable with Virgin but they now supply a 'Super' hub which combines the Modem and Router. The Super Hub looks wonderful but it performs like a piece of crap (flaky wireless & temperamental WOL), even with the latest firmware.

Fortunately it has a 'modem only' mode so I can add a router. I was thinking of buying back an WRT54GL but I am not sure it will handle the 100Mb WAN to LAN that I regularly download at. Even running the CPU at 250Mhz like I used to.

I am not that bothered about Wifi speeds. I just need something that does WOL reliably (which the Superhub doesn't or I would persevere with it) and can handle 100Mb WAN to LAN without being a bottleneck.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wam7 wrote:
the 100Mb WAN to LAN that I regularly download at.

Get a router with a very powerful CPU to route at these speeds. You will want more than double what you had with the GL. Read all of this thread and see the supported devices database for options. Search for WOL and see whether it works the same on k24 as compared to k26, and whether it works well on all dd-wrt builds. That will narrow your choices so you can decide.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: