Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
LostChild1 wrote:
Hi guys,

My WRT300N just crapped out on me so I was reading around and it seems like the RT-N16 will be the next router I buy.

My only question would be to find out if I were at a disadvantage to not get a router that has dual band N? The devices in my house include a Lenovo T420, a PS3, iPhone, another computer with a stock wireless card, aaaaand... that's it.

Thoughts?

It would only be a disadvantage if later down the line you want to use 5Ghz devices. And even then, 5Ghz doesn't have much range, in pretty much all my dual band units. For what range it does have, 5Ghz has great speeds. So that'd be something you'd more or less have to ask yourself.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:30; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
My rt-n66u has great range on the 5ghz band. I get connection everywhere inside my 1800 sq feet house, including basement.

Good to know, but regardless, 5Ghz by design has a shorter wave than 2.4Ghz, thus it had less range.

And somewhere i remember you saying you returned that unit and ordered a wzr-hp-ag300h?

2.4 vs 5Ghz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.9 KB
 Viewed:  17666 Time(s)

2.4 vs 5Ghz.jpg

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:29; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, was going to say, i use the ag300h and my house is 2 story, each story about 3000 sq ft, the ag300h's 5Ghz side doesn't cover all of one floor of my house, but it does cover what i want it to for the floor that it is on. And like i said, its good throughput, so i wouldn't say don't get a dual band router, but if the person asking isn't planning on running any dual band devices, then an RT-N16 should work fine.

adt6247
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 20:42    Post subject: Looking for complex 3-AP setup Reply with quote
Hi, I'm trying to set up a fast and robust wireless network for my house. I have Verizon FiOS, and the router that comes with it is really flaky.

I previously used an ASUS RT-N16 with DD-WRT, and was happy with it for about 9 months, and then it suddenly died. The only problem I had was that installing it in my basement in the server closet didn't provide a particularly strong signal throughout the house.

My entire house has ethernet run through it, and everything connects to a 24-port gigabit switch. So, here's what I want to do:

1) purchase a MoCA to ethernet bridge to replace the FiOS router, so I can go straight into a DD-WRT router.

2) Purchase a master router to run DD-WRT, and connect to the bridge. Ideally, I'd like to run a transparent proxy on this as well, so I can set up a blacklist.

3) Purchase 2 additional routers running DD-WRT as wireless access points to extend the wireless network to my garage and 2nd floor.

4) Set up 2 wireless networks -- public and secure. The secure network will not publish an SSID, and will require MAC addresses to be added manually, and restrict access to those MAC addresses. The public one will use WPA2 with a password, and will be restricted heavily. It shouldn't be able to see any of the machines on either the wired or wireless network, it shouldn't be able to administer any of the routers, and it should have most ports other than SMTP, HTTP, and HTTPS closed off.

So, is what I want to do possible with DD-WRT? If so, what routers should I buy? I typically have up to 8 devices connected via Wifi simultaneously, with upwards of 4 in active use. Additionally, I have another 8 or so wired devices.
quicksand10
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys,

(In short)I'm looking for the best dual-band home router that supports DD-WRT.

I usually like D-Link for my routers, but it seems none of their dual-band routers support DD-WRT. My previous SMC and Linksys router have both been horrible, but I'd be willing to give Linksys/Cisco another try. I have a functional DIR-655, but after getting my 3DTV (Samsung uses Bluetooth for their active 3DTVs), I'm getting some interference. I know someone that is willing to buy my old reliable DIR-655, so I'm looking for a new router that:

1. supports DD-WRT (obviously), preferably DD-WRT mega
2. has excellent throughput (preferably external antennas, but not essential)
3. is a dual band router
4. is (known to be) stable
5. has Gigabit Ethernet (I'm mentioning this because I just noticed some routers only have 10/100; I thought it had become standard?)
6. as long as we stay within reason, price is quite flexible.

Thanks for the recommendations.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:24; edited 1 time in total
Stutch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee,

Thanks for all your valuable information in this thread. I am in the UK and am currently on BT (British Telecom) ADSL. They have provided a Home Hub as the modem.

I need a DD-WRT router that can act as a client bridge from the Home Hub. The router has to wireless connect to the Home Hub and then provide internet via gigabit LAN ports to the devices connected via CAT6.

So, I think my only main requirements are:

(1) Gigabit ethernet (4+ ports)
(2) Ability to act as a bridge to the Home Hub
(3) 2.4/5Ghz wireless
(4) Stable

I am currently considering the following options:
(1) Netgear WDR3700
(2) Asus RT-N16
(3) Linksys E3000
(4) Linksys E4200

Price is not really an issue so I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50-$75 if it would be better in the long run and be more stable.

Cheers.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stutch wrote:
buddee,

Thanks for all your valuable information in this thread. I am in the UK and am currently on BT (British Telecom) ADSL. They have provided a Home Hub as the modem.

I need a DD-WRT router that can act as a client bridge from the Home Hub. The router has to wireless connect to the Home Hub and then provide internet via gigabit LAN ports to the devices connected via CAT6.

(3) 2.4/5Ghz wireless
(4) Stable

(1) Netgear WDR3700
(2) Asus RT-N16
(3) Linksys E3000
(4) Linksys E4200

Price is not really an issue so I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50-$75 if it would be better in the long run and be more stable.

Cheers.

You can ex-neigh the RT-N16, its single band only, i don't have an E4200, so i can't comment on that one's performance. Of those you listed, i would say the E3000 maybe your best bet here, i have a WNDR3700 v2, and its a great unit, but once again, i cannot comment on how it would perform in a client bridge setting and if you read enough into the Atheros dd-wrt forum, many - and i mean many - users claim client bridge doesn't work with Atheros models which i haven't ever tested to see if it does or not, i only use 1 Atheros unit (wzr-hp-g300nh) in a client mode + VAP setting and its setup for my neighbor, so they can have internet access on their own subnet without interfering with mine.

But being that you are going to run this in 'client bridge' mode, i would suggest a broadcom based unit, as i have tested the broadcom modes and know they work well, so client bridge shouldn't be a problem with it.

Stutch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Stutch wrote:
buddee,

(3) 2.4/5Ghz wireless
(4) Stable

(1) Netgear WDR3700
(2) Asus RT-N16
(3) Linksys E3000
(4) Linksys E4200

Cheers.

You can ex-neigh the RT-N16, its single band only, i don't have an E4200, so i can't comment on that one's performance. Of those you listed, i would say the E3000 maybe your best bet here, i have a WNDR3700 v2, and its a great unit, but once again, i cannot comment on how it would perform in a client bridge setting and if you read enough into the Atheros dd-wrt forum, many - and i mean many - users claim client bridge doesn't work with Atheros models which i haven't ever tested to see if it does or not, i only use 1 Atheros unit (wzr-hp-g300nh) in a client mode + VAP setting and its setup for my neighbor, so they can have internet access on their own subnet without interfering with mine.

But being that you are going to run this in 'client bridge' mode, i would suggest a broadcom based unit, as i have tested the broadcom modes and know they work well, so client bridge shouldn't be a problem with it.

Thanks for that. From this thread, it seems the E4200 is worth the extra £5 it costs over the E3000 from Amazon UK. Will give it a go and see what happens I suppose!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stutch wrote:

Thanks for that. From this thread, it seems the E4200 is worth the extra £5 it costs over the E3000 from Amazon UK. Will give it a go and see what happens I suppose!

Be aware of the fact that the e4200 v2, which is what ships now, is not dd-wrt supported. The only places i see the e4200 v1 at is either ebay or cisco/linksys outlet store.

fingerslip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a asus 520gu working DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/12) mini-usb-ftp - build 18946M NEWD Eko, no issues and with previous builds also fine.

today i have upgraded from 10mbps/512 to 100mbps/3mbps and my router cant handle the speed http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=690324#690324

time to move to another router from what i have read N16 an E3000 are very similar.

My router is in second floor, with a desktop wired connected

In the floor below i will have one desktop wireless(p2p, gaming etc) and a laptop wireless too

Also some phones connecting wireless throw the house

Will any of this devices handle properly 100mbps on wan?

The frequency 2,4 or 5ghz will bring any advantage? That make the diference between N16 and E3000 will they manged to get me 100mbps wireless to my desktop pc on the floor below

regards thx
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMHO, you need atleast a 500Mhz CPU or better with dd-wrt to route 100mbps WAN. The E3000 and RT-N16 comes close @ 480, so it may be sufficient, but on my 80mbps line i use a 680Mhz CPU to route it and have no problems with it.

fingerslip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
IMHO, you need atleast a 500Mhz CPU or better with dd-wrt to route 100mbps WAN. The E3000 and RT-N16 comes close @ 480, so it may be sufficient, but on my 80mbps line i use a 680Mhz CPU to route it and have no problems with it.

Do u know any tests made to these routers to check if they can handle these speeds?

which router has a power CPU > 500mhz? What are you using? E4200?

I don't want to spend more then 80-100€

Edit: have found one chart : http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view

E3000 handles 200mbps and N16 140mbps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: