Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
savedR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 18:37    Post subject: Client Bridge mode? Reply with quote
Hi!

I've been searching the forums and wiki, and I thought since a lot of other people have asked in this thread, I'd ask for what I'm looking for.

What I want is a cheap wireless bridge, to connect a wired-only Ethernet client to a wireless network. I do not need wireless repeating, and would prefer not to have it, in fact; this is the only problem I have been having with my previous go-to routers, the Asus RT-N10+ B1. They'll do AP Client (no LAN bridging) and Repeater Bridge, but not Client Bridge, it's not in the dropdown.

So, here's what I'm looking for in no order:

1. Cheap, sub $50 if I can get it at all.
2. Prefer non-Atheros chipset, as per the forums apparently the only way Atheros routers can be set up as Client Bridge is some janky solution involving VAPs, which doesn't say 'reliability' to me. Also not Ralink, for a similar reason? I can't remember, Client Bridge is my #1 priority in any case.
3. If there's any incidence of a chipset I haven't dealt with that disables the auto-reboot option, I don't want that; it's hugely valuable to me to have the router reboot itself once or twice a week so I don't have to.

None of the other specs matter to me at all. I'll take anything I can get, but I don't have to have wireless N, more than 1 switch port, external antennas (antennae?), speed (no torrenting), external interfaces like USB, VPN stuff, nothing.

What do you think, can anyone point me toward a model?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 19:31    Post subject: Re: Client Bridge mode? Reply with quote
savedR wrote:
Hi!

I've been searching the forums and wiki, and I thought since a lot of other people have asked in this thread, I'd ask for what I'm looking for.

What I want is a cheap wireless bridge, to connect a wired-only Ethernet client to a wireless network. I do not need wireless repeating, and would prefer not to have it, in fact; this is the only problem I have been having with my previous go-to routers, the Asus RT-N10+ B1. They'll do AP Client (no LAN bridging) and Repeater Bridge, but not Client Bridge, it's not in the dropdown.

So, here's what I'm looking for in no order:

1. Cheap, sub $50 if I can get it at all.
2. Prefer non-Atheros chipset, as per the forums apparently the only way Atheros routers can be set up as Client Bridge is some janky solution involving VAPs, which doesn't say 'reliability' to me. Also not Ralink, for a similar reason? I can't remember, Client Bridge is my #1 priority in any case.
3. If there's any incidence of a chipset I haven't dealt with that disables the auto-reboot option, I don't want that; it's hugely valuable to me to have the router reboot itself once or twice a week so I don't have to.

None of the other specs matter to me at all. I'll take anything I can get, but I don't have to have wireless N, more than 1 switch port, external antennas (antennae?), speed (no torrenting), external interfaces like USB, VPN stuff, nothing.

What do you think, can anyone point me toward a model?

I have found it easy to setup a client bridged using Broadcom routers. Look in the supported section for a Broadcom router and then look at prices near you or online.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 13:26    Post subject: reliable, easy-to flash with gigabit? Reply with quote
Hi there,

after reading tons of posts here (and becoming more and more confused) I decided to register and ask THE one question: Which device do you recommend?

I'd like to use VPN, need gigabit and prefer the device to have dual band.

After cross-reading through wiki and the forum I selected:

TP-Link WDR4300
TP-Link WDR 3600
Netgear WNR3500L (although this one does not have a dual band but installing dd-wrt seems to be easy?)

Any recommendations?

Thank you very much in advance!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 14:16    Post subject: Re: reliable, easy-to flash with gigabit? Reply with quote
the_one wrote:
Hi there,

after reading tons of posts here (and becoming more and more confused) I decided to register and ask THE one question: Which device do you recommend?

I'd like to use VPN, need gigabit and prefer the device to have dual band.

After cross-reading through wiki and the forum I selected:

TP-Link WDR4300
TP-Link WDR 3600
Netgear WNR3500L (although this one does not have a dual band but installing dd-wrt seems to be easy?)

Any recommendations?

Thank you very much in advance!

Yes but you must realize that ONE question has no real answer.. and only opinionated answers at best. Of the choices you listed, i would go with the WDR4300, but in general - for VPN i would choose something with plenty of CPU speed and plenty of flash space and plenty of board RAM. TP-link seems to make a habit of only including 8MB of flash, which imo - by today's units seem to be not enough to future proof a unit to where it'll have a full featured build to go along with it. So you see, the ONE question you ask isn't simply answered..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
the_one
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello budee,

thank you for your answer. I searched the wiki and found that there is only one TP-Link device availabe with more flash: TP-Link WDR4900 (16GB)

You say there is no real answer, but is there at least a recommendation in the ~100$ price range?

As long as the device is VPN capable and gigabit ready, I do not mind the brand. I just went along with TP-Link as it seemed to get good remarks... and as I have no clue about which manufacturer might actually be better.

Any hints pointing me in the right direction are welcomed.

Thanks again.
kantaki
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need to have a router and a modem. It seems modems don't come with out a router anymore.

What router with modem has a good support with dd-wrt?

I was thinking getting an TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with 32mb ram and 8mb flash.

But I know .... there are problems with some versions and I obviously don't know which version I will get Sad.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
kantaki wrote:
I need to have a router and a modem. It seems modems don't come with out a router anymore.

What router with modem has a good support with dd-wrt?

I was thinking getting an TP-Link TL-WR1043ND with 32mb ram and 8mb flash.

But I know .... there are problems with some versions and I obviously don't know which version I will get Sad.

That's just a router, not a modem/router. As far as I know the WBMR-HP-G300H is the only supported combo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm looking for a new home router and I guess this was the place to ask for advice.

I want something with a good range (3 store house) that allows me to have a stable and fast internet connection (my ISP connection is ~130 Mbps, and I've already ordered two 12 dBi antennas from ebay) in any room, and nothing fancy feature-wise.

Between an Asus RT-N12 D1 and a TP-Link WR941ND, which one would better suited (with)? DD-WRT support on these routers is not really that good, maybe even a WR841ND (with 12 dBi antennas) would do the trick?

Feel free to suggest any other, I welcome it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
hiKen wrote:
So I'm looking for a new home router and I guess this was the place to ask for advice.

I want something with a good range (3 store house) that allows me to have a stable and fast internet connection (my ISP connection is ~130 Mbps, and I've already ordered two 12 dBi antennas from ebay) in any room, and nothing fancy feature-wise.

Between an Asus RT-N12 D1 and a TP-Link WR941ND, which one would better suited (with)? DD-WRT support on these routers is not really that good, maybe even a WR841ND (with 12 dBi antennas) would do the trick?

Feel free to suggest any other, I welcome it.

From what I've read on this forum you need a lot more processor than those 2 routers have. You are probably going to have spend more than what those 2 cost.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

From what I've read on this forum you need a lot more processor than those 2 routers have. You are probably going to have spend more than what those 2 cost.

Really? My price ceiling would be at 60/65$... What practical implications does the CPU have in Wi-fi speed/coverage?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
hiKen wrote:
Malachi wrote:

Really? My price ceiling would be at 60/65$... What practical implications does the CPU have in Wi-fi speed/coverage?

because, your internet connection being at 130mbps would require something more than the units you are listing here. the cpu matters because its what process the data packets and sends it to what destination it needs to go to, so in order for it to move a pipe that fast, it'll need more power than what you are willing to spend on it. i wouldn't suggest anything less than a 500Mhz CPU (perhaps 480Mhz with say like an RT-N16 or E3000), but i would still opt to get something even better than those just to 'future proof' it a bit..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Joe.Noob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
People, you need to understand how antenna dbi works so you can use it to your potential!

A 2dbi antenna provide a SPHERE of signal. A 3.5dbi antenna then trims the signal at the North and South pole of the sphere to extend the signal out more, but if you are below the router you will have less signal. Look antenna dbi to get a good understanding, pics help!

a 12 dbi antenna is for A ONE STORY USAGE AREA. This dramatically focuses the signal straight out and horizontal to the router...
MWisBest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, my WRT54G has finally started to have some issues after a nice solid 7 years or so. It was a v6 so I was especially surprised how long it lasted. I never even installed DD-WRT until a couple days ago when the problems began to arise due to how when I first looked into it, it was much riskier than it appears to be now, or I just lacked the understanding I do now back then. I used to be extremely dense when it came to networking, it was always my weakest area with technology.

Well anyway, I think DD-WRT is going to hold me over until I can get a new router. Depending on price I might order it this week or a couple weeks from now. I'm limiting its use for the moment however. Honestly if I had to guess what's going on I'd almost think that either the Flash or the RAM is going corrupt, however I've never experienced that with something other than my old desktop computer in my basement that's probably just as old as the router.

What I'm looking for is: Wireless N support, 5GHz band would be nice but isn't a requirement; fast enough CPU and enough RAM to handle a decent P2P load; enough Flash memory to support Mega DD-WRT builds (8MB+); DD-WRT support of course; Broadcom hardware is preferred but not required; a USB port would be nice but I should be fine without it; $100 or lower, around $65 would be nice.

I'd prefer to purchase from NewEgg as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've narrowed down my options to
- ASUS RT-N12/D1 (multiple confirmations of this working with the B1 firmware so it should be DD-WRT capable despite no official support)
- TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND

The ASUS I can get for $40 (on sale from $50) and the TP-LINK I can get for $51 (on sale from $70). The TP-LINK definitely has plenty of features, especially for the price and the USB port which I could make good use of for sure, however it isn't Broadcom hardware like I'd prefer. I'd also be concerned that I end up with a version of it not supported by DD-WRT at all or I end up with the "WAN bug." My question about the "WAN bug" is if this only affects DHCP or if it also effects static IP as well, my ISP has a static IP assigned to me and I can also use a dynamic IP in case their static IPs go down (in case of a storm or something usually). Question... would it be possible to hardware mod the RT-N12 with adding a USB port? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, probably not good enough for something like upgrading RAM but throwing on a USB port I could probably handle. If that is possible my mind would be totally set on the RT-N12.
laxman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recommend me a under $99 router, Comcast ISP.

Wireless household router(iPhones & Computers), also used for gaming/downloading on one computer mainly.
nightanole
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
laxman wrote:
Recommend me a under $99 router, Comcast ISP.

Wireless household router(iPhones & Computers), also used for gaming/downloading on one computer mainly.

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

32meg of ram
400mhz
gigabit switch
300mbs
replaceable antennas
$50.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 24 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: