Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
demori
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking for an 802.11AC router that has dual band and supports DDWRT for under $200. Does this exist?
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
demori wrote:
Looking for an 802.11AC router that has dual band and supports DDWRT for under $200. Does this exist?

yes it does, to my knowing asus rt-ac66u or netgear R6300 are both under $200 and both supported by dd-wrt.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also the linksys ea6500.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I would like to buy an under 70$ router which can handle about 15-20 devices in a 3 story house without problem.

My current WiFi router is a TP-Link TL-WR740N and the connection is dropping all the time... I can't do anything on it since I don't own it but I can still change it.

The TP-Link TL-WR1043ND seems good but hasn't 5GHz WiFi capabilities. The Cisco E2000 and E2500 support 5GHz but the first one isn't dual band and the other doesn't have gigabit ports.

Is there any router under 70$ with a reliable connection for a 3 story house, both 2.4 and 5GHz capabilities, and having gibabit ports ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the router is on the first story and 2/3 of devices are on the third one.
JMcLaren7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
n0tnull wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to buy an under 70$ router which can handle about 15-20 devices in a 3 story house without problem.

My current WiFi router is a TP-Link TL-WR740N and the connection is dropping all the time... I can't do anything on it since I don't own it but I can still change it.

The TP-Link TL-WR1043ND seems good but hasn't 5GHz WiFi capabilities. The Cisco E2000 and E2500 support 5GHz but the first one isn't dual band and the other doesn't have gigabit ports.

Is there any router under 70$ with a reliable connection for a 3 story house, both 2.4 and 5GHz capabilities, and having gibabit ports ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the router is on the first story and 2/3 of devices are on the third one.

I've been using the WZR-600DHP from Buffalo for $70 from amazon and newegg and i love it, plus you know it has great compatibility and minimal issues because it comes with dd-wrt (custom), although i just flash latest compatible regular build.
MrKoko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my router this holiday season, and in need of some advice. Looking for a DD-WRT-supported 802.11n simultaneous dual-band router that performs well at both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I have this clumsy setup with Linksys E2500 for 5 GHz, and WRT160n for 2.4 GHz because E2500's 2.4 GHz is abysmal. I still need to have decent 2.4 GHz band for my iPhone 4S Sad I'm looking to clean this up with a single decent router.

Budget: trying to keep things under $130
Advanced features: nothing fancy required (like VLAN on select ports)
Performance: decent on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Looking for >6 mbps downlink on 2.4 GHz, >30 mbps on 5 GHz. My Cisco EA2500 N300 adapter will likely bottleneck the 5 GHz downlink, so the router doesn't have to wicked fast.
Environment: cozy apartment, enough range to get across few walls into the bathroom would be nice

The candidates I'm considering are Netgear WNDR3700/4000/4300, Cisco E4200, and Asus RT-N66U. I'm partial to these 3 manufacturers, but open to more suggestions. Thanks ahead for your recommendations Smile
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
MrKoko wrote:
Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my router this holiday season, and in need of some advice. Looking for a DD-WRT-supported 802.11n simultaneous dual-band router that performs well at both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I have this clumsy setup with Linksys E2500 for 5 GHz, and WRT160n for 2.4 GHz because E2500's 2.4 GHz is abysmal. I still need to have decent 2.4 GHz band for my iPhone 4S Sad I'm looking to clean this up with a single decent router.

Budget: trying to keep things under $130
Advanced features: nothing fancy required (like VLAN on select ports)
Performance: decent on both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz. Looking for >6 mbps downlink on 2.4 GHz, >30 mbps on 5 GHz. My Cisco EA2500 N300 adapter will likely bottleneck the 5 GHz downlink, so the router doesn't have to wicked fast.
Environment: cozy apartment, enough range to get across few walls into the bathroom would be nice

The candidates I'm considering are Netgear WNDR3700/4000/4300, Cisco E4200, and Asus RT-N66U. I'm partial to these 3 manufacturers, but open to more suggestions. Thanks ahead for your recommendations Smile

I have the rt-n66u, a wndr3700v2 and a v3. Of those I prefer the rt-n66u. I get the better range than the wndr3700. Also the rt-n66u is easier to flash back and forth between dd-wrt and factory/RMerlin fw. To go from dd-wrt to factory just rename the .trx file to .bin.
The e4200 was my least favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
JMcLaren7 wrote:

I've been using the WZR-600DHP from Buffalo for $70 from amazon and newegg and i love it, plus you know it has great compatibility and minimal issues because it comes with dd-wrt (custom), although i just flash latest compatible regular build.

I've read some review about this router and some people are not very satisfied...

What about the TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 (N750) ?
It seems great and can be found for 70$ on some website...
Topodoco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 20:05    Post subject: Replacing a WRT54G (DD-WRT) for QOS Reply with quote
Hey all, i need your help !

I tried to find an answer on internet but i don't find what i'm looking for.
I will try to explain everything as i can (sorry i'm french).
I think about a new router as an xmas gift !

Why ? Because the old WRT54G is unable to work well with QoS.
It's a home router, using an highspeed internet access.

The network is using:
- over wifi: 2 tablets, 3 smartphones, 1 laptop
- over ethernet: 2 NAS and 2 PC (with a Gbit switch).

One of the PC wired is using Steam and while it's started, the bandwith is not "shared" with the other PC (espacially the daddy's laptop) but this PC is using all the bandwith and internet is really slow for all the other devices.

We tried to start the QoS in the router, but with QoS started, the bandwith is incredibly falling down for every one !

We stopped the QoS and everything is again working faster, but still have the problem while using the Steam PC.

I think it's because the router's CPU is probably not fast enough to do it.

What i wish to find is:
A DD-WRT (would be nice) Gigabit router , working fine with QoS, and if possible with 2 extern removable antenna (to re-use the 9dBi from the actuel WRT54G).

I wish to find it under 150€ incl. tax.

Which router should i buy ?

Thanks in advance !
white74
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:23    Post subject: Marine network Reply with quote
Looking to setup a network aboard my boat
Only power is 12vdc
LAN rj45 and wifi
Need short range 30 feet for onboard devices
WAN access
Need long range 3000+ milliwatt
antenna location 50ft approx from deck
Will be using lmr400 cable for low losses and 21db antenna
Need to be able to log in to different hotspots
Any suggestions on hardware and software?
My budget for this project is flexible as commercially available products are in excess of $1000
Thanks in advance for any and all input.
laserchips
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 19:58    Post subject: DD WRT for Business Reply with quote
i have used tomato in small business environments but it does not work well in large businesses

so i ask the question will this work [DD-WRT]; work in mid size companies with 100-499 user market or do i need to purchase a legit $3000 cisco asa device or sonic wall 3600. What would be the best hardware to run this type of environment. or can it??

looking to do it on the cheap

please comment

LC
aviators99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need a router with extraordinary range, 802.11g/n, and the ability to run a very stable and well-featured DD-WRT.

I do not mind spending more than $200 for something "industrial" with longer range. I need mode-g for some older devices.
gilgongo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 21:08    Post subject: Re: "What's the Best Router..." thread. Ask/post h Reply with quote
Donny wrote:
If you want absolute stability, stick with the routers that can handle the k24 builds

Sorry for the stupid question, but nowhere on http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices does it say anything about K24.

How do I tell which routers support it?

Thanks.
Azurren
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 23:15    Post subject: Re: Replacing a WRT54G (DD-WRT) for QOS Reply with quote
Topodoco wrote:
Hey all, i need your help !

I tried to find an answer on internet but i don't find what i'm looking for.
I will try to explain everything as i can (sorry i'm french).
I think about a new router as an xmas gift !

Why ? Because the old WRT54G is unable to work well with QoS.
It's a home router, using an highspeed internet access.

The network is using:
- over wifi: 2 tablets, 3 smartphones, 1 laptop
- over ethernet: 2 NAS and 2 PC (with a Gbit switch).

One of the PC wired is using Steam and while it's started, the bandwith is not "shared" with the other PC (espacially the daddy's laptop) but this PC is using all the bandwith and internet is really slow for all the other devices.

We tried to start the QoS in the router, but with QoS started, the bandwith is incredibly falling down for every one !

We stopped the QoS and everything is again working faster, but still have the problem while using the Steam PC.

I think it's because the router's CPU is probably not fast enough to do it.

What i wish to find is:
A DD-WRT (would be nice) Gigabit router , working fine with QoS, and if possible with 2 extern removable antenna (to re-use the 9dBi from the actuel WRT54G).

I wish to find it under 150€ incl. tax.

Which router should i buy ?

Thanks in advance !

I'm in the exact same boat as Topodoco except I'm currently using a TD-W8960N..
None of the traffic management or QoS functions seems to counter the Steam problem. Plus now with the holiday sales coming up once again its a huge issue!

No matter what I do steam will max-out the internet connection while downloading. If two people are downloading from steam it just seems to select one person at random and gives the dregs to everyone else.

Ideally a future-proof 5ghz AC router would be best, but cash is short so if someone could give me both a "cheap" and "ideal" option that would be fantastic!

Thanks
drego85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm looking for a modem/router ADSLv2+ compatible with DD-WRT.

I am particularly interested in:
* Modem ADSLv2+
* VPN
* Backup with 3G connection
* Router
* Firewall
* QoS

Is there something on the market that is compatible with DD-WRT? I was thinking WBMR-HP-G300H...

Thanks
Andrea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 25 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: