Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
CoreyX64
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
drego85 wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for a modem/router ADSLv2+ compatible with DD-WRT.

I am particularly interested in:
* Modem ADSLv2+
* VPN
* Backup with 3G connection
* Router
* Firewall
* QoS

Is there something on the market that is compatible with DD-WRT? I was thinking WBMR-HP-G300H...

Thanks
Andrea

Generally any router with an integrated modem of any sort is unsupported by DD-WRT. The firmware focuses more on the "router" portion than modem, which is why they practically don't exist. However, based on reviews, word has it this model is supported by a certain DD-WRT build:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Wireless-N-Nfiniti-AirStations-Router/dp/B005584W2E

It has in-built ADSL, has a USB port (that could be used for 3G fallback), and the rest of your requests fall into DD-WRT's core capabilities. the 3G fallback (letalone connecting a USB 3G modem to DD-WRT) is by no means an out of the box feature. it would require additional packages be loaded (from other forum posts I've read on the topic) to allow DD-WRT to see eye to eye with any 3G USB modem. Dual WAN failover (use WAN, else use 3G if WAN fails) is done in scripting and isn't too problematic. Drivers and the other firmware-related things pertaining to allowing it to connect to a USB modem will likely be you're biggest hurdle to overcome. You've got the hardware all integrated together, it would just be a matter of firmware setup/configuration. It might be a lot of work, but this is as close as you'll ever get.
Sponsor
CoreyX64
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
solro wrote:
Any suggestions for a long-lasting router for under $100?

Would be nice if it has gigabit LAN, wireless N, and a powered USB port to run a laptop cooling pad for itself.

WNDR3700v4 or WNDR4300. Almost the same thing, small hardware changes. Rock-solid and dependable.
jman584
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those of you looking for a cheap DD-WRT router with a USB port, the Belkin F7D3302 is $19 on Amazon right now.

I've bought one and runs DD-WRT great. It's got some pretty good specs too: 64 MB ram, 8 MB flash and a Broadcom BCM4718 @ 480MHz

Edit: Updated price

Last edited by jman584 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 14:04; edited 1 time in total
TmRNL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a list of supported 802.11AC routers?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
TmRNL wrote:
Is there a list of supported 802.11AC routers?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 19:13    Post subject: 1Gbps Internet router help Reply with quote
Hello I have fiber coming to my house. I can get 1Gbps when I am connected directly (via patch panel), however as soon as I install Netgear router in the middle the speed drops to 100Mbps. I was wondering if there was and router recommendation.
g90814
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 16:24    Post subject: Re: 1Gbps Internet router help Reply with quote
powerplyer wrote:
Hello I have fiber coming to my house. I can get 1Gbps when I am connected directly (via patch panel), however as soon as I install Netgear router in the middle the speed drops to 100Mbps. I was wondering if there was and router recommendation.

Your netgear router likely only has 100MBps ports, either all the ports or the WAN port you connect to the modem connected to fiber.

Unless you are doing heavy duty streaming between local computers, you're fine, as your external internet connection is likely slower than 100Mbps.

You may want to look for a new router that has 1Gbps ports.
vt100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just picked up a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 for $69 free shipping no tax. Flashed it with dd-wrt with no problems. Good router and not too hard on the old wallet. Now I need to pick up a 5Ghz WiFi N-card to take advantage of the second channel..
SomeoneOnLine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 0:49    Post subject: Is the NetGear WNDR3700-100NAS v4 worthy of dd wrt? Reply with quote
So I purchased a Linksys E1200 v2 and put dd wrt on it and other than not being able to get the WAN port to give me a quicker than 1.2Mbps upload it was great. Well 1.2Mbps upload doesnt work for me espcially when I have 100Mpbs bandwith to work with (Verizon Fios 100/100Mbbs). After process of elimination I was able to trace it back to the E1200 itsself with both stock firmware,dd wrt, and or tomato.

So I was thinking of trying a NetGear WNDR3700 v4. Im a little confused with the about the model though. When googling info on it I cant tell if WNDR3700-100NAS v4 is the same as just WNDR3700 v4? Either way does anyone have any feedback on this unit with dd wrt?

Thanks,
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 15:34    Post subject: Re: Is the NetGear WNDR3700-100NAS v4 worthy of dd wrt? Reply with quote
SomeoneOnLine wrote:
So I purchased a Linksys E1200 v2 and put dd wrt on it and other than not being able to get the WAN port to give me a quicker than 1.2Mbps upload it was great. Well 1.2Mbps upload doesnt work for me espcially when I have 100Mpbs bandwith to work with (Verizon Fios 100/100Mbbs). After process of elimination I was able to trace it back to the E1200 itsself with both stock firmware,dd wrt, and or tomato.

So I was thinking of trying a NetGear WNDR3700 v4. Im a little confused with the about the model though. When googling info on it I cant tell if WNDR3700-100NAS v4 is the same as just WNDR3700 v4? Either way does anyone have any feedback on this unit with dd wrt?

Thanks,

I don't have any feedback regarding the 3700 v4, i only have a 3700 v1 - totally different hardware inside, but i will say that you would most likely run into a bandwidth limitation again using anything less than say one of the newer dual core arm units.

The problem you are having in regards to having a fast pipe is needing a fast enough CPU in which to route it properly. Most of the N router units won't have a fast enough CPU for that kind of pipe. At the least you would go with an Asus rt-n66u with the BCM 600Mhz CPU - or any other unit in that class, there are various other models/makes..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 19:49    Post subject: Re: Recommend reliable router with 2 USB ports? Reply with quote
jimford wrote:
I'm currently running DD-WRT on an Asus WL-500G Premium v2, but it's seems to be rebooting itself on occasions, so maybe it's time to update to a more modern device.

I'm using optware 2 on one USB port and have a printer attached to the other.

So, can anyone recommend a modern, reliable, easy to flash router with 2 USB ports that will take a DD-WRT mega build, and I can preferably find on ebay (UK), please?

Jim

See the supported devices wiki, but several asus models come to mind, including the rt-n16.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
m404
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the following situation and needed router replacement (previously using a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND):

NB: all wired connections were considered 1GBit connections, even if maybe currently not possible (i.e. Satellite PVR box). It might be in the future, so 1GBit had to be fulfilled as requirement.

• 3 MacOSX clients (2 wired, 1 WiFi)
    • 2 Windows7 clients (HTPC and Plex, also Fileserver, so wired)
    • 5 iPhones/iPad (6/5S/5/4 mixed and an iPad3, obviously all WiFi)
    • 1 Chromecast (WiFi)
    • 1 RaspberryPi (WiFi USB Stick)
    • 3 Satellite PVRs (Enigma2 devices, so basically Linux, 2 WiFi, 1 wired)
    • 1 Television (Samsung, WiFi built in)
    • 1 AV Receiver (Denon, wired)
    • 1 Playstation 4 (wired)
    • 1 Kindle (WiFi)
    • 1 Printer (Canon, WiFi)

This resulted in 13 WiFi clients.
The router was supposed to be behind a Huawei B890 "router" which was set to DMZ towards the newly purchased router (it's an LTE router). Currently, it's a 100MBit device as it's only Cat3, but the plan being used supports 150Mbit via Cat4, and since in near future I'm planning on replacing the Huawei with a Cat4 capable device, the router needed to be capable of going higher than 100MBit on the WAN port.

Couple of obvious choices were full GBit switch and a rather stable power alimentation for eventual USB devices.
AC1900 was actually not a requirement, but would obviously sweeten the deal.

I ended up purchasing the Netgear R7000-100PES "Nighthawk", as I had gotten an acceptable deal (115 Euro) over Amazon, and immediately installed Kong's edit of dd-wrt on it.
The capacity the router offers and the stability with which it is currently running makes me wonder if I should completely scratch the idea of having a dedicated Modem for LTE and instead use a compatible USB Stick/Modem on the dd-wrt router directly, but cannot say from experience yet whether that would work stable too.

All in all, the device is very satisfying, and I would definitiely recommend it anytime for similar scenarios.
asdfffdsa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking to setup a repeater for a neighbor of mine but they don't really need any bells and whistles. Of course the router would need to run ddwrt and supporting repeating a wireless signal, but other than that they don't need anything special.

I've always setup WRT54Gs for people like this because they like how they are so cheap, but sometimes I find that they are unreliable in that they suddenly stop working and then I need to go over to a person's house a reconfigure them. For example, one that I own has to be rebooted and reconfigured every couple of months.

Is there a more suitable or more stable router that I should be using for these "no frills" users that just need a repeated signal?
hapklaar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
asdfffdsa wrote:
Is there a more suitable or more stable router that I should be using for these "no frills" users that just need a repeated signal?

I would just go for a simple cheap repeater like the Icidu NI-707547 or something similar. They have the smallest form factor and are easy to manage.
justyourimage
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R7000 runs pretty well with the last Kong OLDD build for me over 7 days without any noticable Packetlosses on the WAN-Port or Performance breakins with 12 Wireless Devices (several of Apple stuff plus 2 Repeaters), 1 LAN-Device and QoS with a 30 MBits Cable-Connection and the Cable-Modem connected to the WAN-Port and it acting as the Main-Router.

The only thing I didn't get to test yet are the USB Transferspeeds but I'm pretty happy so far. No slowdowns experienced, no dropped Clients - nothing. The Interface is way snappier and faster when compared to the AC66U on the same build.

I can only recommend it. However it 's a bit big (like all AC1900 Routers) and ugly in opinion but it 's the Internals that count for a Router anyway.

I personally wouldn't go with the ASUS AC68U just because of the reported heat of the CPU (over 70 °C if you look into the threads) and certain problems I had with my AC66U and AC56U and DD-WRT (Packetloss on the WAN-Port) as well as Tomato (bad Wireless Performance). My R7000 hits

CPU 58.0 °C / WL0 49.84 °C / WL1 49.42 °C

with regular load (between 500-1000 Connections).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 26 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: