Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Artago
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:12    Post subject: ASUS RT-N16 still the king? Reply with quote
In the $100 range, is the ASUS RT-N16 the best bang for the buck options for a light office environment? If not, what's better for the money? Thanks.
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
D-Link DIR-615 are pretty decent and super cheap on eBay. N300 routers. Just make sure to get a version which supports DD-WRT, see here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link

lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
whats the best and inexpensive 800cpu ac routers with stable ddwrt builds? looking at routers from buffalo with complaints of weak wifi signals, to archers having stability issues, need recommendations, thnx
lokie56
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I'm between two routers. I plan on flashing the router with dd-wrt immediately. Just want some advise please.

Between

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router ‑ 4‑Port Switch

And the

ASUS RT‑AC87U Wireless router ‑ 4‑port switch ac2400

The asus one is the newer one with better hardware, but I'm not sure which will work out better for me in the long run.

My current situation: house with three floors, 6 regular users, and roughly 7-10 devices concurrently.

Right now I have a 57 Mbps connection using a net gear router with ddwrt.
One issue I'm currently running into is every so often the wifi only will crash while the wired connection stays live. I've tried trouble shooting for past several months No resolution. I am considering a speed upgrade soon, but not until I can sustain a stable connection with the current setup.

Most common use is gaming and streaming via Netflix, along with general browsing.

What I'm looking for is stable hardware that will keep me future proof for a bit longer, that is why im erring towards the asus since it is the new hardware, but they are also the less tested company in terms of routers.

I'll appearciate any advise.

Currently. Can get asus for $258, and netgear for $171
I am hoping to upgrade to a 500 Mbps connection down the road.
vevere
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have read many posts/threads since months about dd-wrt (but also openwrt, tomato(s), ROOter etc ...) and I just need help to decide wich of my existing routers is the best for my needs.

I own:
2x TP-Link Archer c5 v1.2 => Q-Atheros QCA9558 (720 MHz x1) - 16/128MB - 5x 10/100/1000 - 2x USB 2.0
1x Lynksys ea6400 => Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800 MHz x2) - 128/128MB - 5x 10/100/1000 - 1x USB 3.0
1x WD my net n750 => Atheros AR9344 (560 MHz x1) - 16/128MB - 5x 10/100/1000 - 2x USB 2.0

For now the 2 archer C5 are used as AP only and work great with TP-Link firmware (I tried many *wrt on them but I always lost 50% of my 5Ghz throughput with my AC867 laptop, so I came back to stock each time).
I don't use any bridge, they are wired to a Gigabit switch.

I need these 2 AP to correctly cover my house and the garden, I don't have to much surface to cover but cause my house has big walls I prefer use 2 APs each at low power settings instead of one at max power but with dead zones.

As I have 2 DSL lines at home (15/1 Mb/s) and want to build my own multiwan router to replace my actual TP-Link TL-R470T+ v4.0 multiwan router.
I'm happy with it because it works "stressless" but I miss some features like:
- integrated FTP
- advanced DHCP (so a Debian VM is doing that right now)
- VPN server for my personnal use (not decided yet beetween OpenVPN/PPTP/...)
- 3G/4G as backup WAN access in case of DSL failure

I really don't need wireless on it. So I hope I can use the EA6400 or the WD for that task because I will be able to shut the Wifi down and don't have any ugly ext. antennas to care with (but if it is the best choice I can use the EA6400 as AP and use one C5 as router)

I read many things about Atheros and Broadcom chips but:
- it's hard to remember well all that I have read
- my english is perhaps not good enough to understand all very well (I hope you can understand me !)

So:
- if the WD My Net 750 is powerfull enough for multiwan + VPN and if its Atheros chip is able to do all of that I will go with it (but not supported under dd-wrt, so with openwrt, even if I prefer dd-wrt Sad )

- elseif, I'm pretty sure the EA6400 with its dual-800mhz will do the job (because I don't care about wifi stability pb off the EA routers)

- if neither the WD or lynksys can't do that, perhaps the C5 can ?

- if none of them can do the job I can also create a virtual machine with somethning like pfsense on my home server, but I prefer have a dedicated router behing my 2 DSL lines and to not depend of my server.

Thanks in advance for your replies/comments/explainations !

sorry for this long post !
vevere
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
vevere wrote:

So:
- if the WD My Net 750 is powerfull enough for multiwan + VPN and if its Atheros chip is able to do all of that I will go with it (but not supported under dd-wrt, so with openwrt, even if I prefer dd-wrt Sad )

- elseif, I'm pretty sure the EA6400 with its dual-800mhz will do the job (because I don't care about wifi stability pb off the EA routers)

- if neither the WD or lynksys can't do that, perhaps the C5 can ?

- if none of them can do the job I can also create a virtual machine with somethning like pfsense on my home server, but I prefer have a dedicated router behing my 2 DSL lines and to not depend of my server.

Thanks in advance for your replies/comments/explainations !

sorry for this long post !
vevere

The 1st thing I would recommend is converting your Archer C5s to C7s. The v1.2 shares the same hardware, but it is crippled in the firmware. My C7s work great on DD-WRT, and after the conversion you'll have ac1750 APs.

I'd forget about the WD since it looks like one device will get left out. While I believe it is possible to do dual WAN on newer atheros, it'd take a lot of work, and I've never actually seen it done.

I stick with atheros for the strong radios, but I keep hearing broadcom is better for some advanced features. You may have to modify a bit, but there are broadcom tutorials for dual WAN on DD-WRT. The dual core processor would also have a major benefit if you do indeed end up with a VPN.
vevere
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for your reply mwbuss8,

I have allready used dd-wrt to upgrade my stock C5 with .... stock c7 firmware Smile

I tried many things with dd-wrt some weeks ago on them but I was never able to have a good wifi throughput (~ half the speed).
The best results are with the stock firmware (no difference beetween c5 or c7 firmware, but for fun I keep the C7 ones).

So, I can't use dd-wrt on my Archers (even if I really don't like the stock fw !!). It's not really important as they are just used as "AP".

So thanks for the reply, I will go with the Linksys, I flashed it today with dd-wrt and it runs fine (big lose in wireless throughput again, but I don't care, as I don't need wifi on this one)

thank's again
vevere
hammad1029
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I have a house of 275 meters with 2 floors and a big gap(a whole kinda) between both. I am currently using the tp-link tlwr740n and it has served me well since 3-4 years. But now I've changed the setup of my computer along with the router as well to a room(it was in the open before - not in any room). I need a cheapo router under about 30-40$ with the following things in mind:-

- It needs to have at least 50% more wireless range than the router I'm currently using(tl-wr740n)
- It needs to be supported by dd-wrt

The things I would really like to get but will be willing to skip on if I don't have a choice are:-

- dual or tri band support
- gigabit lan ports(one will be enough)
- usb lan port for ftp

I was thinking about getting the tl-wr940n but it isn't supported by dd-wrt. Anyways, Thanks
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
hammad1029 wrote:
So I have a house of 275 meters with 2 floors and a big gap(a whole kinda) between both. I am currently using the tp-link tlwr740n and it has served me well since 3-4 years. But now I've changed the setup of my computer along with the router as well to a room(it was in the open before - not in any room). I need a cheapo router under about 30-40$ with the following things in mind:-

- It needs to have at least 50% more wireless range than the router I'm currently using(tl-wr740n)
- It needs to be supported by dd-wrt

The things I would really like to get but will be willing to skip on if I don't have a choice are:-

- dual or tri band support
- gigabit lan ports(one will be enough)
- usb lan port for ftp

I was thinking about getting the tl-wr940n but it isn't supported by dd-wrt. Anyways, Thanks

best option is TP-Link wr1043nd v2 or v3 its working great with DD-WRT and has a great range and stable radio sadly its on N450, while Archer C7 has same chassis but has extra radio 5 Ghz and has AC1750 standard but a bit more price, you can also try DIR-862l witch is very cheap on ebay and has plenty of RAM on same chassis, but i doubt it will have the same wi fi range.. otherwise for a bit more cash R6400 or R7000 will serve you well and they are future proof too...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
KrisK91
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello I am new to DD-WRT I am looking for an inexpensive router that supports DD-WRT. Can someone please help me out and answer a few of my questions.

-Once I find a router how do I know which firmware to install on the router?

-I already have a router/gateway in my house, I am needing a relatively cheap router that can support DD-WRT for torrenting as well as movie streaming.

Thanks in advance
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrisK91 wrote:
I am needing a relatively cheap router that can support DD-WRT for torrenting as well as movie streaming.

Router is a router, although dd-wrt can do a lot of extra functions that a normal router can't do, that doesn't mean all extra functions can perform as best as other means. The functions that you are looking for, i.e. Transmission, miniDLNA and Samba, they require a lot of RAM to get better performance which router lacks as compared to normal PC. If you need good performance, I suggest that you leave them to your PC. Otherwise, I suggest you get a router with lots of RAM instead of just looking for budgeted router. Moreover, if you want dd-wrt with build in Transmission and miniDLNA function, you also need a router with lots of flash, otherwise you need to use optware and install Transmission and miniDLNA to the external drive. Anyway, if you want a router recommendation, I will suggest Netgear R7000/R6700 which although not very cheap yet won't cost a fortune.
consorts
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
getting a linksys wrt1200ac v2 made me fall in love with dd-wrt over all other open source firmware, and yes i tried a bunch of them.

then i got a deal on a netgear r7500v2, and wasted 3 weekends over the summer trying to get the damn thing to stop boot looping.

i'm done, i don't want to discuss trouble shooting any more. now i'm going to factory default flash it back to netgear firmware and sell it.

i'm just glad i have this rock solid wrt1200ac working, while i look for the next good deal i can find on a dd-wrt capable mu-mimo 4x4.

at least now i know to avoid those cursed atheros wisoc's Evil or Very Mad
Neroka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I have a Linksys 3200acm with DDWRT on it. Works ok so far except it won't let windows update go through somehow on port 8118.

I bought a Netgear XR500 as well. Interested in trying this router out. Even though I don't think you can install DDwrt on it.

Also leaving my Arris Sb6183 behind, and ordered the Motorola MB8600. Stepping up cables to Cat 7 as well.

Will see what works best. I do think this Arris modem is dying slowly. Getting RTOs sometimes. Had comcast out. They changed my ports and everything. So, connection should be fine. Have a feeling it's a modem issue with the Arris
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
consorts wrote:
getting a linksys wrt1200ac v2 made me fall in love with dd-wrt over all other open source firmware, and yes i tried a bunch of them.

then i got a deal on a netgear r7500v2, and wasted 3 weekends over the summer trying to get the damn thing to stop boot looping.

i'm done, i don't want to discuss trouble shooting any more. now i'm going to factory default flash it back to netgear firmware and sell it.

i'm just glad i have this rock solid wrt1200ac working, while i look for the next good deal i can find on a dd-wrt capable mu-mimo 4x4.

at least now i know to avoid those cursed atheros wisoc's Evil or Very Mad

There is nothing wrong with the r7500v2 on Kong builds.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neroka wrote:
Yeah, I have a Linksys 3200acm with DDWRT on it. Works ok so far except it won't let windows update go through somehow on port 8118.

I bought a Netgear XR500 as well. Interested in trying this router out. Even though I don't think you can install DDwrt on it.

Also leaving my Arris Sb6183 behind, and ordered the Motorola MB8600. Stepping up cables to Cat 7 as well.

Will see what works best. I do think this Arris modem is dying slowly. Getting RTOs sometimes. Had comcast out. They changed my ports and everything. So, connection should be fine. Have a feeling it's a modem issue with the Arris

The xr500 is just an r7800. You could install dd-wrt on it but you’d have to convert it.

I had an r7500v2 and now have an r7800, both good routers.

Navigation

Jump to: