Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
claes wrote:
That's very helpful - a little discouraging about the e3000 heat issue, though. Why the strong gigabit preference - isn't the only slowdown in wired to wireless? I might prefer the wrt400n if my only loss is heat (very simple network here) as I'll save $35 even after buying a new GbE switch...

And, sorry again but, wndr3700 v1/37av?

Well the gigabit is mainly a personal preference and since i mainly buy refurbished units, the E3000 is to me the better package. I run servers on wired connections, not wireless, so thats mainly why gigabit.

I didn't really like the 3700. To many wireless problems, and i have not broke out the D-Link DIR-825 to comment on that one.

Also keep in mind, this is my opinions based on my experiences with it, and those can differ per unit/person. And you seem to keep leaning towards a WRT400N. Why don't you get one and find out for yourself? Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
3guk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

I have really simple requirements and wanted to know what you guys recommended.

- Stable
- Decent wifi signal strength - using an iPad outdoors
- 4 ports

Speed doesn't really matter as most of the network is only 100Mb.

Cheers

James
rrosebr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:32    Post subject: Router choice Reply with quote
I need advice on a new router, I have several devices that will be connected either wired or wireless...

Wired
1. Dlink DNS-323 - Network NAS that I use to stream Movies and music to Xbox and other computers. Also shares a USB device, in my instance a printer
2. AT&T Microcell - 3g cell phone tower connected to your internet.
3. Home Powerline for Dish Network - puts an internet connection through the power line by plugging into your router. (not a must)
4.Sometimes a wired laptop but not a must

Wireless
1. Two or more laptop computers
2. Xbox 360(Slim with N) or Wii.
3. Occasionally a cell phone or two (iPhone, Evo, etc)

I don't mind paying $100 or more...I just want something that will work consistently and stream videos effectively to my Xbox. I've looked at the e4200, Apple AirPort Extreme, and WNDR3700.

Thank you in advance,
Drew
claes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
To the guy above: earlier in this thread it was suggested that the WNDR3700 suffers from radio issues. This is an identified issue on some models that Netgear will fix for you but there are also many reprorts of the quality of wireless signal degrading over time on "unaffected" units. That coupled with my bad experiences with Netgear made me stay away (currently own a wnr2000v1 - wireless drops daily with almost all services turned off except dmz and some forwarded ports, GB switch has burnt out, virtually no support or firmware updates). The Airport Extreme was an attractive option a couple of years ago but has since been plagued with performance issues and even sometimes buggy firmware, so you should probably go for the e4200 (I would if I could afford it!) if those are your options.
buddee wrote:
Well the gigabit is mainly a personal preference and since i mainly buy refurbished units, the E3000 is to me the better package. I run servers on wired connections, not wireless, so thats mainly why gigabit.

I didn't really like the 3700. To many wireless problems, and i have not broke out the D-Link DIR-825 to comment on that one.

Also keep in mind, this is my opinions based on my experiences with it, and those can differ per unit/person. And you seem to keep leaning towards a WRT400N. Why don't you get one and find out for yourself? Smile
I had been looking at Linksys solely for aesthetics - the router is going to be in my living-room surrounded by low-laying furniture so it'd be nice if it went unnoticed, but the heat issues on the e3000 and the lack of tomato support on the wrt400n turned me off.

Saw open box rt-n16s for $65 on newegg a few days ago and they were on again last night so I picked one up (sold out when I checked this morning)! Will let you guys know how it goes and if you're in the market you might keep checking - that's a great price for a well acclaimed router (worst case scenario you get a refund). However, according to a post on the tomato forums the rt-n66u (rt-n76u renamed) should be available in june/july as an ASUS ROG product. I plan on contacting ASUS about a coupon or whatever seeing as this product was supposed to come out a year and a half ago and some consumers (me) are caving in on the rt-n16 after waiting too long.

Thoughts: I came in looking for the best dual-band N router, preferably gigabit, that was compatible with tomato. The e3000 was the only real option, but heat is a turn off, especially when spending around $130. Seeing no real performance benefit with 5ghz when compared to 2.4 in benchmarks and given that I'll probably be all N soon anyway I decided to drop the dual-band requirement. My ultimate purchase decisions: two year warranty (most are one), tomato support, gigabit (maybe 100+ internet will hit soon 8/). I had always been indifferent towards USB ports due to their poor performance, but if transmission/rtorrent are quick enough on Tomato I may be able to let my server go to sleep and keep all of my media attached to the router, waking the server only for backups and whatnot (saving money, reducing electrical noise in apartment) as I only use my music and video drives for streaming and torrents.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the RT-N16 gets warm as well, The E3000 and RT-N16 have the same chipset, but the RT-N16 has some what better design, so its not as bad, and before you wonder to much with regards to my above statement, yes the RT-N16 could do dual band, but Asus decided to lock it down to where it can't. Not sure why, but its what happened, needless to say though, the RT-N16 is a great choice as well.

I have a tendency to to read the smallnetbuilder.com reviews on units, they are the most accurate i have seen, even in parallel with my experiences.

Not that it matters now...but, As far as the E3000 is concerned, the heat hasn't been an "issue", i just said it gets warmer than any of my other units, it never impeded its performance even when it was warm. I just modded it so that it never did become an issue. Also the WRT610N's are pretty much $65 refurb from ebay. The V2 can be converted to an E3000.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
prashikh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 15:39    Post subject: CISCO or NETGEAR.., Reply with quote
If u r planning to use a router for a small network or home based internet connection, then u can go with NETGEAR, bcoz less price.
If u r planning to connect multiple networks from single router, then u go with CISCO.

Linksys E4200
Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router
Linksys E4200

Linksys E3000
High Performance Wireless-N Router

Linksys E1000
Wireless-N Router

Linksys E2000
Advanced Wireless-N Router

Linksys E2100L
Advanced Wireless-N Router

NetGear WNR854T

NetGear WNR2000

NetGear WNR834B
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
The best cheap N router would be a Dlink 601 imho. 400mhz processor. DD-wrt compatible. Not bad.
DigitalMocking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to post a 'field report' about the WZR-HP-G300NH. 6 of these were purchased, 4 for my work, 2 for home. All 6 exhibited the exact same issues of wireless dropout with dd-wrt, all between 3 hours and about 9 hours.

I can sum it up pretty simply: until the radio disconnection issue in ddr-wrt is fixed, do NOT buy this router. There are published workarounds (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Fix_for_WiFi_Dropouts) for the radio just dropping out, but no fix for it. You will randomly lose wireless signal, and either have to reboot the router or wait for the script to fire off to reset the wireless. If you were streaming something, sorry, time to reconnect.

Open-WRT works very well on these as a single router, I haven't had a single drop since moving to it, unfortunately WDS does *not* work reliably at all (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=29112).

Overall I'm really bummed that Buffalo hasn't taken the time to fix the dropout issue that's really prevalent in this router. Obviously it can be fixed, the open-wrt guys have it working 100% reliably. Its fast, has great coverage... but just has that one final flaw :p
Zipp425
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, hope this is the place to do this and I hope that I hear back...

Anyway, I currently have a Buffalo WHR-HP-GN running DD-WRT, it works ok but it isn't the most stable (crashes about once every 2 days).

I recently bought a Apple TV2 and I am streaming files from my server PC to the ATV2 all through the wireless network, both devices use wireless n but there still is a lot of latency and I can't watch HD movies without it buffering frequently. Since wiring everything is out of the question (I live in an apartment), I though maybe a better router would solve the problem. I've been looking a lot at the ASUS RT-N16, but do you think it would solve my problem and be worth the money to upgrade?
formengr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi all. i've been reviewing all the posts in this thread for the past few days. i'm trying to cipher out what might work well for me as i've been forced into getting more literate on wireless networking for my 2 story, standard lumber constructed, 2700 sf home. my router's in on corner of the house with wireless devices are as far as they can get from the router on the 2nd floor = weak signal.

my wired devices are a windows desktop and a WD TV Live Plus. my wireless devices are a Wii (used alot to stream netflix), 2 windows laptops, a (soon to be) Ipad2, and likely an Apple TV to follow. we have visitors that connect wireless too.

i had a 3 month old dir-655 which whacked out on me the other day (for the 2nd time in two weeks - wired connection was screwed but wireless worked - go figure...) and is being replaced atm. prior to its demise i tried two AP's used as repeaters, a D-Link DAP-1360 chosen after reading that sticking w/a sole mfr tends to yield best results, then a TP-Link WL TL-WA901ND. whatever device's fault it was (router or repeater), my wireless would not stay up & i'd have to reset the repeaters. when the setup functioned, i got great signal all over the house. all devices have been returned at his point & all were stock f/w (only in the last week have i learned about DD-WRT). fwiw, i also got a SB100 1000mW antennae. (http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/sb1000.html) for the router as a different solution. when attached to the 655 (tried all 3 ant conn's), my laptop showed 0 increase in signal no matter how near the router. this was the same time my router whacked for the 2nd time so i don't know if the ant's at fault or the router.

ALL that said, i have to say i am frustrated. what i want is a wired/wireless setup that is flawless/self-maintaining, and will last until the next millenium. i don't think that's going to drop out of the sky though... Smile

a replacement 655's on its way, but i am more than willing to off it for something else. i am also turned off by linksys as i went through 3 of their ashtray style routers in a year (same model, but do not recall which) as each fritzed out in 1 way or another which lead me to the 655. ultimately i suppose my questions are:

1. what sort of wireless network (WDS, or amplified antenna for example) will best suit my needs? i've been reading all over the web about them, but there's so much content that it's difficult for me to dial in on what best suits me = simple + stable.

2. riding the coat tails on #1 what h/w has shown to be stable and durable? it seems like every friggin device i research has issues in user reviews.

3. with h/w choice, how about f/w options? it seems as if there are varying levels of success w/different ver's of dd-wrt. admittedly i need to read more about it, but dialing in on h/w 1st appears to be most efficient so so i can apply to a specific case vs a general case. truly i would like to use something out of the box vs flashing.

i am not unsavvy to tech in general, but again wifi stuff is new to me. i can drop $200 or so on a setup. i keep seeing the asus nt-16 suggested, and am also feeling like some buffalo products are appropriate. i know i'm starting from nearly square 1, so in turn am asking alot, but steps in a good direction would be much appreciated. i am quite willing to answer whatever q's i can. Smile

thanks in advance!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
formengr wrote:

i am not unsavvy to tech in general, but again wifi stuff is new to me. i can drop $200 or so on a setup. i keep seeing the asus nt-16 suggested, and am also feeling like some buffalo products are appropriate. i know i'm starting from nearly square 1, so in turn am asking alot, but steps in a good direction would be much appreciated. i am quite willing to answer whatever q's i can. Smile

thanks in advance!

So far buffalo have been great products for me, but it seems i am one of few, and alot of people have issues with them.

The RT-N16 is a great unit, but i would say if you intend on using 5Ghz (yes it can be faster at short ranges) I would say go for a WRT610N v2/E3000. As shown in this test. The wrt320n on 5Ghz seems to be the champion on speed in that band.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Throughput_Testing

If you do not intend on using 5Ghz, then yes IMHO, an RT-N16 probably would do you good.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't use WDS because its not a 802.1 standard and probably will never become one, for one simple fact, to standardize it would have to be able to mingle with various chipsets and as WDS is, you can't really mix chipsets with it. IE you can't buy one RT-N16 and buy a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and WDS them together, the bridge won't hold. However, You can set one up as an AP and have the other link to it using a 'repeater' style mode though.

Thats why i didn't comment on that part of it. WDS works good when you use the same chipsets though. So if you intend on using WDS make sure to get a pair of whatever you plan on using with it and you should do fine.

I use a wzr-hp-g300nh as my main AP and use repeaters/client modes to do any linking i need from there. Most of them for testing purposes. My house is 3 story and the wzr-hp-g300nh covers all 3 floors fairly well. But as i have said, i don't have probs with my buffalo units but many people have shitty luck with the atheros buffalo units.

In all out bottom line opinion, i would get some kind of good broadcom unit like the RT-N16 and then get some kind of cheaper unit like an E2000/WRT320N (which are about $45 for refurb units) and link those together via 'repeater bridge' style. You really don't need WDS for a 2 unit setup. Just my opinion.

formengr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks again buddee. so doing further research, it seems i'd likely be ok to go with a rt-n16 as primary router and a rt-n12 as a repeater. seems as if whether stock f/w or flashed i am covered. there'd be latitude for repeater modes as both have broadcom chips and appear to support WDS as alternative to a repeater bridge mode for the r12 (rep-br seems most appealing to me after reading up). both are dd-wrt supported (though it appears the n16's dd-wrt builds work best and that i need to read carefully about n12's build from what i read here). this pair would have many options and save me $60 over a pair of n16's. am i correct in all these tech details?

BUT i still can't help but feel i should drop the extra cash and get a pair of n16's as they're so well regarded/reviewed and absolutely matched. i am looking for stable and consistent.

input on the 12/16 combo is appreciated. obviously beyond that i need to decide about matched pairs vs save a few $$. thanks in advance!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
formengr wrote:
thanks again buddee. so doing further research, it seems i'd likely be ok to go with a rt-n16 as primary router and a rt-n12 as a repeater. seems as if whether stock f/w or flashed i am covered. there'd be latitude for repeater modes as both have broadcom chips and appear to support WDS as alternative to a repeater bridge mode for the r12 (rep-br seems most appealing to me after reading up). both are dd-wrt supported (though it appears the n16's dd-wrt builds work best and that i need to read carefully about n12's build from what i read here). this pair would have many options and save me $60 over a pair of n16's. am i correct in all these tech details?

BUT i still can't help but feel i should drop the extra cash and get a pair of n16's as they're so well regarded/reviewed and absolutely matched. i am looking for stable and consistent.

input on the 12/16 combo is appreciated. obviously beyond that i need to decide about matched pairs vs save a few $$. thanks in advance!

I had an RT-12 and wasn't very happy with its performance, so much so that i sold it to a friend that really wanted it for $20. Of the cheaper bunch of N units i have, it seemed to have more wireless problems than the others as far as drops are concerned.

The best cheap N unit i have used in practice is the WRT320N. But then again, when i bought the RT-N12 was about a year ago, and dd-wrt support for it was still pretty new, so who knows, by now it may be more stable.

Also on a side note, if you plan on use a 'repeater' style to do the linking instead of using WDS, then the chipsets won't matter so much then, i link broadcom and atheros units all the time in that 'repeater' style manner.

Johnb175
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I currently just setup a Broadcom based Linksys WRT350N running DD-WRT build 16214. We have a 100/100 fiber connection to the internet at this office. The problem that I am having is this router is only achieving around 80Mbps. With my old linux box I had setup I was able to achieve 95-100 consistently. I have read one of the gurus on this forum saying that to achieve 100Mbps one would need a router with at least a 400Mhz CPU. My current 350N has a 300Mhz CPU so I am thinking this may be the issue limiting bandwidth. I looked at other Broadcom based routers and saw the E3000 has a 480Mhz CPU but it looks like it only runs the 2.6 kernel. From reading the top of this thread it seems people have trouble with disconnects using 2.6. Does anyone have a recommendation for a router that would work properly at the speeds I need? I would like it to meet the following requirements with the most important requirements listed at the top:

1) Broadcom based as I am doing port based VLANS.
2) Have a fast enough CPU to handle 100/100 Mbps fiber connection to the internet
3) Be very stable (i.e. I guess the 2.4 builds?)
4) Strong wireless radio
5) Does not need to be dual band
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: