Not able to get internet in man-cave

Goto page 1, 2  Next
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 16:52    Post subject: Not able to get internet in man-cave Reply with quote
Hi All, I have 3 routers (all archer c1900 v1) with the first 1 router in house 1 working fine in house 2 (on same property) on ground floor is router 2 (only router with dd-wrt on it) which only was used to get wifi from router 1 and send signal (by cable) to router 3 in basement as that router cant get a signal from router 1. All was good for 2+ years until someone hit the reset button on router 2 and reset all info on router 2 (which i didn`t write down). I tried to guess what i did the first time but so far not luck getting internet on router 3 (think router 2 is not seeing router 1(must be some setting i need to change)), so the little man now has to leave the man-cave(in house 2) and goto house 1 and be around 4 older girls. If anyone has any idea what setting i need to change or any ideas please let me know. Thanks
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you read the LINKING ROUTERS WIKI?

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad + Blocklist Collection
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I`m looking at that now and still not 100% what to choose (guess i can try all and see if any work). Also not sure if there was something else i had to change, but will try those. Thanks
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like you are using the client or client bridge mode... so pay special attention to those sections.

Basically you set the wireless mode (on router 2) to client (which means the DD-WRT router is acting as a client) and set the network mode to what the Router 1 supports then in wireless security (router 2) to the wifi password you have for Router 1. Then connect the wan port of router 3 to a lan port on router 2.
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply. I think i might have semi/soft bricked router 2. I was playing with the setting while i was tiered and now i cant get the login screen 192.168.1.1 to show anymore. I did the 30/30/30 reset and it still wont show anymore. When i do auto detect on router 3 with router 2 plugged into wan on router 3 is now shows static.
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is the list of supported devices: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices .

You have never said what your device(#2) is or what build you are on. Is it coming on? Power light stays on? What if you connect it from lan port straight to PC? Can you access 192.168.1.1. Can you ping 192.168.1.1?

imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, #2 is the same router as the other 2 routers (archer c1900 v1) the build is v3.0-r29966M std(06/17/16). It was running fine for 2+ years until someone hit the reset button. I cant access 192.168.1.1. All the lights come on. haven`t tried to ping it yet. Hooked it up to a computer (tried lan and wan) and still cant see page 192.168.1.1
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry apparently I didn't read your first sentence.
If you can ping with router lan to pc and the reset button does no good, you are probably needing to tftp firmware to it. Instructions are HERE .

Be aware if you find a cheap, $20 or less, supported unit at costco it may have only 4MB (or worse 2MB) flash meaning features will be limited.

imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to ipconfig and the default gateway is blank. i tried to ping 192.168.1.1 and its not good. I think i just call this router gone. I looking to see some place that i can get a router that takes dd-wrt and is under 200.00 and i can return just incase it dont work. Costco has a great return policy but i gotta look up those router as i didnt see any router instore at my local costco. If anyone can suggest and other store that sell routers and have a easy (return policy) please let me know (i`m on the east coast). Thanks to all for the help
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, i flashed router 3 with dd-wrt and replace number 2 with it (no router in man-cave for now). I can log in to 192.168.1.1 and it seems fine. I tried to get internet on 2 and no go (i did wireless and wired and no access to internet on 2. I tried ap,repeater,client and still cant see internet on router 2. I can access internet wireless in same room to router 1 (which is in diff house). Anyone have any idea why i cant access the internet on router 2. Thanks
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forgive my confusion or if this seems like a dumb question.

On router 2, you are plugging in/trying in same room as router 1? For example, if you are in same room as router 1, can router 2 connect to router 1? I am assuming that another device, such as phone or laptop can. If another device can not there is a different problem.

If it is isolated to router 2 and its hardware/configuration, then we can go through that.
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes i trying with router 2 next to router 1 (about 2 feet away) but so far no luck. The only thing i see now is there are 2 other (not ours) wifi signals in the area now, where before it was just our routers. My router 1 is the best signal. I can connect to router 2 by wifi or wired and see dd-wrt screen but i have no internet when i connected to router 2 right now. I did hook router 2 to the modem and then i get internet so i know its not the router.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I understand better now, thank you.

So first lets us try to dissect the issue.

If you plug router 2's wan port into router 1's lan port (with router 1 plugged into the cable modem) when you are on router 2's lan do you get internet?

Secondly, what is the lan address of router 1, and what is the lan address of router 2? If they are the same say both are 192.168.1.1, there will be a conflict. Each can work independently, but together they will break, it is easily fixable.

Try both of those to start out with and then let us know.
imnotsosure
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, sorry to so long to reply. Yes if i plug router 1 lan out into router 2 wan in i get internet on router 2. the ip address for router 1 is 192.168.0.1 and router 2 is 192.168.1.1
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am assuming that you can access sites from a computer plugged into the lan port of router 2, when router 2 is plugged into the lan port of router 1. (Correct me if I am wrong)

So now unplug router 2 from router 1 and try to connect wirelessly to router 1 from router 2 and see if you can still access the internet. (Again in the same room), this will determine if the wireless settings are correct, we are just replacing the wire with a wireless connection.

Follow the directions on (starting at step 7):
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

If this works, then keep repeating/moving router 2 farther away.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: