New to DD-WRT....Attempting Linksys E2500v3 Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Did you set the wireless back to auto ip and auto DNS? Are you getting an ip assigned to your computer when you connect wirelessly? Have you tried a manual wireless IP address? Try removing all encryption to test, as recommended in the link I provided you.

Ok so setting up with no encryption didn't work.

I decided to go ahead and set up the AP with WPA2 Personal security again, and then set up the dd-wrt secondary router with WPA2 Personal security again. Now I get this activity on the Status >> Wireless Tab. What does this mean? Am I in a better place that we were earlier? I now have a usable internet connection with the dd-wrt secondary router connected to this computer with LAN ethernet cable. *Scratches Head*

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 4.59.58 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.61 KB
 Viewed:  3019 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 4.59.58 PM.png

Sponsor
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just noticed in my own screenshot under Wireless Nodes >> Access Point & Clients >> Interface....it says "eth1." This must be showing that I am receiving the internet connection on this computer via an ethernet cable plugged into port #1 on the back of the router.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it APPEARS like the following are now true...

1. My dd-wrt equipped secondary router is, in fact, connected to the primary router access point.

2. Since the computer that I am typing this from has the WIFI hardware disabled, and I now have an internet connect, the AP is providiing the secondary router with a working internet connection.

3. At this point, the working internet connection between the AP& secondary router is being shared through a wired ethernet connection.

So. What are the proper steps to test & complete the wireless "repeating" function of this secondary router? So far, it appears like only the wired ethernet portion of the secondary router is repeating the signal. From what I can see, I am still unable to take advantage of the wireless repeating of the internet connection - the main reason why I am in the middle of this setup =).

As always, I appreciate the help in advance. I am learning so I thank you for your patience!
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read something just now that is confusing. When setting up the Physical Interface & Virtual Interface, I previously read that the SSID on the AP primary router & the Physical Interface SSID on the repeating bridge secondary router need to be the same (DeJong Wireless) in order for the repeater secondary router to connect to the AP. This I understand.

My confusion is regarding the Virtual Interface SSID on the repeater secondary router. Should this be the same SSID as the AP primary router (DeJong Wireless)? Or...should it be set up like I currently have it with a different SSID than the AP primary router? See picture below to see how it is currently setup.

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.25.14 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.95 KB
 Viewed:  2996 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 9.25.14 PM.png

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is explained in the wiki article I linked you to. It should be a different ssid.

Try setting it up as a repeater instead, to test. Reset it completely, and then follow the wiki instructions for repeater, rather than repeater bridge. This will allow us to check as to whether you are getting a wan IP from the primary router.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
gonathan85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
This is explained in the wiki article I linked you to. It should be a different ssid.

Try setting it up as a repeater instead, to test. Reset it completely, and then follow the wiki instructions for repeater, rather than repeater bridge. This will allow us to check as to whether you are getting a wan IP from the primary router.

Ok - followed the instructions (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater) including trying both Gateway and Local DNS containing AP's IP & leaving as 0.0.0.0.

I still have a WAN address of 0.0.0.0 in the upper-right corner of dd-wrt interface.

Note: this is after following proper procedure of rebooting router using dd-wrt administrator tab, then unplugging router power supply....waiting for 3 minutes....plugging power back in to router. Still can't receive WAN address other than 0.0.0.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: