DIR-810L AC-wireless not in options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ontarier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 20:18    Post subject: Repeater Bridge mode with DIR-810L Reply with quote
Like Lea I got another 810L to extend coverage with the 5GHz band. I flashed several DD-WRT builds on both routers without joy until...I flashed both routers with the updated firmware from D-Link (1.03). I left the D-Link stock firmware on the AP and flashed the repeater bridge-to-be with the firmware on the DD-WRT router database (25815).

AP wireless settings for the 2.4GHz band are Mode: Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g and 802.11b, Enable Auto Scan: Unchecked, Wireless Channel: 11, Transmission Rate: Best (automatic), and Channel Width: 20MHz. For the 5GHz band they are Mode: 802.11n only, Enable Auto Scan: Unchecked, Wireless Channel: 5.180GHz - CH 36, and Channel Width: Auto 20/40 MHz.

I then configured the DD-WRT router as specified here ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge ) employing the Broadcom instructions. Repeater Bridge wireless settings for the 2.4GHz band are Wireless Mode: Repeater Bridge, Wireless Network Mode: Mixed, Channel Width: 20 MHz, Network Configuration: Bridged. For the 5GHz band they are Wireless Mode: Repeater Bridge, Wireless Network Mode: N-Only (5 GHz), Channel Width: Wide HT40 (20+20 MHz), Extension Channel: lower, Network Configuration: Bridged.

Joy!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ontarier on Tue Jun 02, 2015 21:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
btx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="ILMostro7"]
Has anyone had success using the D-Link DIR-810L as a wireless repeater/client? I'm not sure if this is at all possible with the stock firmware, as I don't see a way of configuring the wireless radio as a "Client" instead of an AP.[/quote]
I was wondering about that too. My old DIR-615 broke today and I planned to buy a DIR-810L to replace it tomorrow. But I used the 615 in repeater mode, eg connecting to another router's already existing wireless network with internet connection on 192.168.1.1, and then creating a virtual interface for local wireless and lan ports on 192.168.2.1. Is that same repeater mode setting working with dd-wrt for DIR-810L?
Ontarier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I configured an 810L as a repeater bridge as per my post above yours. There is also a client mode available with the DD-WRT firmware.
dwgeardown
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
What kind of speeds are you getting in repeater mode?
Revival
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi there, i have also set up repeater bridge on the latest build (27343) and so far its working, gonna test it for a couple more days.

What i noticed is that repeater bridge mode is also broadcasting the original SSID in addition to the virtual interface.

ie:

original SSID from router 1 is BOB, virtual interface is BOB1

I will now have 3 different SSID being broadcasted, BOB (from router 1), BOB (from router 2), and BOB1.

does anyone notice this being a conflict down the road? Would disabling SSID broadcast on the repeater bridge be a solution if it does?

I wanted to do client bridge but for whatever reason it is not an option.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any Ralink Repeater will re-broadcast the original SSID.
You can hide the re-broadcasted SSID if you want. Go to Wireless -> Physical Interface ra0 (configured as Repeater) and set Wireless SSID Broadcast: Disable

Japper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello!

I recently purchased the 810L revision A to use it as repeater (not as repeater bridge) to replace a dying WRT54G.

I successfully installed dd-wrt and set it up exactly as per the instructions in the wiki. I installed the latest version from the official dd-wrt database as well as the latest beta from 19 June.

So here comes the problem: I am not able to get it working on the 810L. When logging on to the new wireless network, I keep on receiving the error that my password is wrong.

The settings in the instructions work perfectly for the WRT54G.

Has anybody else tried to setup the router in the same way, experienced the same problems and more importantly succeeded to solve them?

I see that most discussions in thissport are related to repeater bridges.

Jasper
btx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Japper"]Hello!

I recently purchased the 810L revision A to use it as repeater (not as repeater bridge) to replace a dying WRT54G.

I successfully installed dd-wrt and set it up exactly as per the instructions in the wiki. I installed the latest version from the official dd-wrt database as well as the latest beta from 19 June.

So here comes the problem: I am not able to get it working on the 810L. When logging on to the new wireless network, I keep on receiving the error that my password is wrong.

The settings in the instructions work perfectly for the WRT54G.

Has anybody else tried to setup the router in the same way, experienced the same problems and more importantly succeeded to solve them?

I see that most discussions in thissport are related to repeater bridges.

Jasper[/quote]

It works for me. DIR-810L B1. I use the same password, NG-Mixed, & AES on both networks. First I changed the repeater router ip to the new subnet, reboot, got the repeater to connect to the AP (had to set it to ap mode and change to the correct channel first to make it connect), reboot, and then I added the new Virtual Interface for the new subnet.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
btx wrote:
It works for me. DIR-810L B1. I use the same password, NG-Mixed, & AES on both networks. First I changed the repeater router ip to the new subnet, reboot, got the repeater to connect to the AP (had to set it to ap mode and change to the correct channel first to make it connect), reboot, and then I added the new Virtual Interface for the new subnet.

This is a known issue for Ralink routers. Ralink can't Auto select the channel of the Host AP, when in Repeater mode. It's a driver issue, read BrainSlayer's explanation here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3809#comment:26

Japper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:51    Post subject: Solved, but with different approach... Reply with quote
Hello,

As feedback to get my DIR-810l A revision working as repeater (few posts earlier). I searched the dd-wrt forum and found many tips. However, none of them seemed to work for me (channel setting etc). I kept on getting the earlier described password problem when I put the router in repeater mode.

However I solved it in putting the router in Client mode. Here the router 'logged in' without any problem on the main router. I set up the second band up as access point and it worked straight away Smile The download speed is a little bit disappointing: 20 Mbps via the DIR-810L (both wireless as well as wired) whereas connected to the main router it constantly around 90 Mbps. This is something to solve in a future exercise. For now I am happy that everything works.

Jasper
RebelebeR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 16:40    Post subject: ac Reply with quote
It's been awhile since I saw a post on this, but has anyone tried the 25815 beta to see if ac is working yet? I want to flash it, but not at the cost of losing my 433 Mpbs ac connection. I am hoping it will cure a strange problem I am having with wired LAN on stock firmware.
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried it in the other 810L thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283573 N works, A maybe, no luck with AC.
RebelebeR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
razel wrote:
Tried it in the other 810L thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283573 N works, A maybe, no luck with AC.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same build. You mentioned trying 27716 if I remember correctly. I'm talking about "v24 sp2 - beta (BETA) Build 25815" for D-lnik dir-810l B1
razel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read it thoroughly. But if you can't/don't want to then don't proceed at all for your router's own good.
Cuddlebumble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright, so it's been quite a while since the last post in here. I was questioning whether to start a new thread, or simply make a reply here.

Does anybody know if the 5GHz AC problem was ever fixed? Or is it still impossible to use AC with the D-Link 810L?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: