Enabling Mobile Broadband on Asus RT-N13U Ver:B1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Snax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 22:13    Post subject: Enabling Mobile Broadband on Asus RT-N13U Ver:B1 Reply with quote
Hi there,

I have an ASUS RT-N13U B1 router which I flashed to DD-WRT as Airprint/iPrint functionality to a Brother MFP wasn't working with neither the stock ASUS (v2.0.2.0) nor latest (v2.0.2.5o) firmware.

The DD-WRT Firmware version now installed is: v24-sp2 (12-22-14) std - build 25697

I have a Vodafone K3805-Z USB Vodem which was working fine under the ASUS firmware but not with DD-WRT now installed. The vodem is listed as supported by DD-WRT here: (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/3G_/_3.5G).

It appears to me that the router's USB port isn't trying to power or boot the vodem up as no lights show on it nor does it feel warm like it did with ASUS firmware. Normally the light blinks red when booting up, then changes to solid blue once connected to 3G.

Troubleshooting Steps:

~ I have checked that USB Support is enabled under Services -> Services, and have tried enabling all of the USB support options with no difference.
~ I have enabled Mobile Broadband as the WAN Connection Type
~ Changed the dial-up number to *99# (UMTS/3G/3.5G) which is apparently the number for Vodafone New Zealand.
~ I also tried manually setting the APN to "vodafone" which is the current APN for Vodafone NZ.
~ As far as I can see no username or password should be required to connect the vodem.
~ I have tried enabling "Force Reconnect" at 15s which doesn't seem to change anything.

Is there anything blatantly obvious (or not so obvious) that I am missing to get the ASUS router to connect to the internet via the vodem?

I am very new to shell commands under DD-WRT, but managed to telnet to the router and enter the following which may or may not help. It appears to return a lot fewer lines for me than for others who run the command:

------------------------------------------------------------

root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 3.02
S: Manufacturer=Linux 3.2.65-svn25651 dwc_otg_hcd
S: Product=DWC OTG Controller
S: SerialNumber=lm0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 4 Ivl=256ms

-------------------------------------------------------------

I also ran the following command (only once so far) which was a suggested solution elsewhere on this forum, but I can't tell if it made any difference.

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set 3gdata="/dev/usb/tts/2"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Snax
Sponsor
Snax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone successfully gotten a USB 3G vodem working under DD-WRT and what settings/steps/commands did it take to get the vodem connecting to the WAN?

It seems to be possible as the options are listed under the DD-WRT admin panel but that I feel that there's another step or steps that I'm missing. It doesn't even look like the USB vodem is getting any power or sent the instruction to fire up and dial.

Not ideal but as I'm pressed for time, Plan B is to gamble with a new 3G-capable router (e.g. TP-Link TL-MR3420) with stock firmware that can hopefully take the vodem I have - and have Airprint/iPrint capability.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Snax
mianos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got a Vodafone K3805-Z (ZTE) working fine here on a WNDR-3700 v2.

I only enabled USB Core Support under services to prevent the virtual CDROM-Drive to appear...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: