ubiquity and non ubiquity device or atheros ddwrt

lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 16:07    Post subject: ubiquity and non ubiquity device or atheros ddwrt Reply with quote
can airos firmware connect to a atheros ddwrt router as a wireless client either a client/repeater client bridge/repeater bridge or wds since both use ath chipsets? I been reading the pdf sheets for ubiquiti devices the wireless modes don't indicate if i can connect as a wireless client with a non ubiquity device.

i don't mind paying for a license i just want some experience with airos before i start flashing
Sponsor
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i bought one so ill answer my own question when i get it
SamuelRock
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
All UBNT "M" gear ex, Rocket M2, Bullet M2, NanoStation M2, is 802.11 Complaint, In Client mode it will connect to any other device that is 802.11 B/G/N.

In AP mode you will need to turn off AirMax Protocol if you are trying to get other non-UBNT devices to connect to the UBNT device.

AirMax is a propitiatory Protocol UBNT has made to reduce noise and can only be used with other UBNT devices.

AirOs will leave you wanting the functions of DDWRT!! but once you get started using AirOs and you install DDWRT you will miss the small things about AirOs!!

If DDWRT were to be tweaked a little bit I think they could sell a copy to just about every UBNT device produced!

Samuel Rock
WISP
lilmister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Totally agree with you sam

Ubnt is not bad its great for but projects for businesses. Bought a ns bridge and ns loco 2 thanks to advice from a good member that time out to help answer some nooby questions

For the home ddwrt is king. Im working on a r7000n r6300 your not going to get this on ubnt devices yet. They seem to have a attitude over there when i write a question and merely mentioning ddwrt
Maybe some secret rivalry between the devs? It took regular members to answer my questions while the members with privileges weren't as helpful.

I read one guy who spent 50k on a music festival 3 days straight outdoor party and with all ubnt stations everywhere the system could not handle that many users trying to use it.

Their wds i forget for which mode ap-repeater i think uses wep encryption which is odd but they have mac filtering. i still don't understand the router vs shp router mode need to read their wiki..

For wds ddwrt is really good. I had success with bcom n ath. For ubnt it's also good too very easy to link. The tools it comes with is also cool like speedtests that i think ddwrt should implement. Netgear genie has one so our not like copying their tool. Antenna alignment is useful and it beeps too let to you know. I bought 1k of outdoor cables to bury around the home and mount my antennas with a cleaner look.

For now im focusing on a r7000 n r6300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: