D-Link DIr-615 operate as switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sublevel4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 0:40    Post subject: D-Link DIr-615 operate as switch Reply with quote
I would like to know if and how i can use a D-link dir-615 running dd-wrt to share a wired connection. I have a wifi extender that has only one port. I now need to connect 2 machines wired. Is there a way to use the dir-615 to do this?
Sponsor
jmmilner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand what you want, the stock firmware is sufficient. If you want/need DD-WRT the devil is in the details. What version of the DIR-615 do you have? Look on the bottom for the sticker - bottom line should say

H/W Ver.:XN

where X is a letter between A and I and N is a number between 1 and 3 or 4.

I have three DIR-615s, C1, E1, and I1. You'll need the matching DD-WRT file from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/yyyy/mm-dd-yyyy/rNNNNNN/dlink-dir615XN. I used ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/dlink-dir615i1/dir615i1-factory-to-ddwrt-firmware.bin but you can use newer versions if you are interested in bleeding edge. Read up on the proper method to do the flash of DD-WRT before you start. Make sure you have all the files you need before starting!

Currently only my I1 version is running DD-WRT but it works fine with my internet coming in via a cable modem or DSL to the gray RJ-45 port labeled INTERNET and up to 4 hardwired connections using the blue ports labeled LAN 1-4, as well as providing WiFi to a few devices like laptops and smart phones. If you search through the posts here you'll find that some people have had issues with some combinations of 615 hardware versions mixed with some DD-WRT versions.
sublevel4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for your responce Jmmilner,
I have an E1 that i have already flashed with DD-WRT from before i stopped using it.

I am looking for the settings and such i would need to setup to get this to work. I have a cable modem/wifi router downstairs. I have a wifi extender in the office upstairs. My issue now is that i have one server plugged into the one wired port eh extender has. I have another computer that i need to get a hard connection to. I was thinking that i could use the DIR-615 in that capacity if i could figure out how i needed to set it up. I have not had any luck on my own so i thought someone here would be able to give me some details. Or do i need to go buy a basic switch?

Thank you!
sublevel4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 21:48    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote
i don't know exactly what i did but i got it to work. Thanks!!
jmmilner
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have (had?) two options:

Use the LAN ports of the 615 as a switch - plug the output of your extender as well as your two upstairs machines into three of the ports labeled LAN. I'd guess this is what you really did. Plugging the extender into the WAN port can work but there are issues with IP addresses if you want to share files with anything connected to the main WiFi router.

The 615 can also be set up in bridge mode, where it gets internet access via your primary WiFi and distributes it to the LAN ports. There is a Wiki describing this setup.

You should figure out what method you stumbled into so you'll understand what limitations you may have to accept. Glad it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: