Buffalo WHR-300HP2 return to stock firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
farcus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 15:43    Post subject: Buffalo WHR-300HP2 return to stock firmware Reply with quote
I'm a little bit disappointed with the wireless performance of what seems to be the most stable build of dd-wrt for the whr-300hp2 (r24461)

Ideally, I'd like to update to a build of dd-wrt that has stable 40mhz wireless support
barring this - is there a guide on how to return to the stock Buffalo firmware?

Many thanks
Sponsor
mofongo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I don't have the details on returning to stock.

If you're going off of my old post, I only selected that build because of my previous router having no outstanding issues on it. Suffice to say DD-WRT is a buggy minefield for a good while now and I don't question that you'd roll back to stock. I'd love to test recent builds that might have a 40mhz fix but any time I upgrade I lose my connection to the internet and my IP stays at 0.0.0.0 and that too was an issue from my old router as well.

In the meantime, I'm stuck on the Buffalo DD-WRT build until either DD-WRT cleans up and gives me an IP address or OpenWRT supports our wireless chipset (the latter looking to be done before the former).
farcus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, I think dd wrt isn't ready for primetime on this router model (at least the version of dd wrt I have).
Certainly it does not work as well on this router as it did on my previous router (the 300hp2 predecessor whr-g300nv2)

would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction on returning to stock . . . .

and a further question in relation to this . . .
I have the Japanese version of the router. If I return to stock firmware is it possible to put the English (US) stock firmware on?
mofongo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just so other people know, I flashed the Buffalo version of DD-WRT then I flashed stock for my router (USA) and it went well. Back on stock and nothing major broken. I miss the control but I at least get an IP for WAN.
farcus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mofongo wrote:
Just so other people know, I flashed the Buffalo version of DD-WRT then I flashed stock for my router (USA) and it went well. Back on stock and nothing major broken. I miss the control but I at least get an IP for WAN.

can you elaborate on how you managed to do that?
I have tried using tftp but just keep getting timeouts (using the jp firmware on a jp router)
mofongo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
farcus wrote:
mofongo wrote:

I have tried using tftp but just keep getting timeouts (using the jp firmware on a jp router)

Sure. Bear in mind these steps are for my US variant.

1. I grabbed the latest Buffalo branded DD-WRT Firmware on their website for the HP-300HP2D (since the hardware is the same).

2. Flashed it over the current build making sure it wiped after flashing.

3. Went to the updater, and flashed the latest standard Buffalo firmware for the WHR-300HP2 making sure it wiped after flash.

4. Logged into the router using default credentials and stock was there.
kamleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you elaborate on what you mean on "making sure it wiped after flashing"?

I tried upgrading firmware on this too, and ended up with no internet, and right now cannot flash anything else. So want to try your procedure
mofongo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I made sure the after Flashing Reset To was set to Restore Default Settings.
farcus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
mofongo wrote:
farcus wrote:
mofongo wrote:

Sure. Bear in mind these steps are for my US variant.

1. I grabbed the latest Buffalo branded DD-WRT Firmware on their website for the HP-300HP2D (since the hardware is the same).

2. Flashed it over the current build making sure it wiped after flashing.

3. Went to the updater, and flashed the latest standard Buffalo firmware for the WHR-300HP2 making sure it wiped after flash.

4. Logged into the router using default credentials and stock was there.

Excellent. Thank you for this.
I have the Japanese hardware so was skeptical that this would work for me as there is no HP2D in the Japanese market - so no JP firmware.
But anyway - I downloaded the US HP2D firmware and it loaded onto the router with no problems.
Then I got greedy and downloaded the stock US firmware expecting it to be rejected when I tried to load but the router accepted it fine.
However, when finished loading and rebooting (30/30/30) I was back to the stock Japanese interface. So it seems there is only one firmware (they are all the same in each country) and the router loads only the appropriate region details.
Anyway - all safely back to the stock firmware until DD-WRT gets sorted for this device.

I didn't stop to try the Buffalo DD WRT firmware while I had it on the router. Has anybody tried it? Is wireless performance any better than the opensource DD WRT releases?
kamleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried a number of builds and each time ended up with no WAN IP. I need a version later than 24716 to support connection thru the great Chinese firewall, but no luck.

However, flashing back to stock seems OK. At least it works. Funny thing is I notice that when I do go back to stock the setting for wireless (password) are the same that I got when I bought the router. I don't think the wireless password would be the same for each device (it is a numeric code) so maybe something sits in memory somewhere that interferes with the ddwrt flash?

Ah well. Back to the drawing board.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kamleman wrote:
Funny thing is I notice that when I do go back to stock the setting for wireless (password) are the same that I got when I bought the router. I don't think the wireless password would be the same for each device (it is a numeric code) so maybe something sits in memory somewhere that interferes with the ddwrt flash?

I've noticed it also...the password is unique for each device....its is hardcoded into each units CFE...just like its MAC address. This is the reason they can be "reverted" without loosing the MAC and passwords.

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: