internet freezing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielsender wrote:
...I installed the Kong's firmware (25015M) in the RT-AC66U...

maybe try a more recent firmware on that RT-AC66U of yours...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/asus-rt-ac66u/

might not help, but worth a try.

Might also want to check your device thread, and the new builds thread to see how r26138 is behaving for others that have your device.

Edit: that is a KONG "K3-AC-Arm" firmware build number, but you have a Broadcom BCM4706 i.e. not a ARM unit (BCM4707/4708/4709)

fairly certain Kong abandon the K3-AC stuff along with the K26 back in Oct. 2014

Edit2: Oops, that build number was in both the ARM and NON ARM historical folders, my bad Sad (but it is from September 2014, so a step forward might not hurt)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Sponsor
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your response.

I installed 26138 but it didn't make any difference. Tomorrow I will try one more experiment: I found in my junk container a Netgear switch FS605V2. Assuming that there is a bug in the ethernet switching, I will connect a single ethernet port of the RT-AC66U to the switch, and all the clients will be connected to the ports of the switch. As I said in my previous posting a few people reported some issues with the wired connected clients.

All other ideas are more than welcome.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
After I log on the RT-AC66U (telnet to root) I cannot ping an internet IP (e.g. google.com) it comes back with a message "ping: sendto: Network is unreachable". On the other hand I can ping to other IPs in my LAN - I don't think this is related to my core problem, but why is this happening?
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Placing the switch at the LAN ports of the repeater bridge didn't make any difference. I will try now replacing the AP router with one running dd-wrt. In any case I'm really surprised that no other user or expert saw this problem before.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielsender wrote:
Placing the switch at the LAN ports of the repeater bridge didn't make any difference. I will try now replacing the AP router with one running dd-wrt. In any case I'm really surprised that no other user or expert saw this problem before.

like i said^^ I've never had any issues before. Likely because I was always linking dd-wrt to dd-wrt over WIFI. Also I took care to use same WIFI chipsets.

if your next test is to attempt to cut the "non dd-wrt Zoom device" out of the equation, go fir it! (might be worth a try.) I can't recall if you had 2 dd-wrt devices with the same chipsets... you could be reducing potential variables

not same fact pattern, but once upon a time...
i had a 2 wire dsl modem/router with wifi a/b. I wanted a wireless link to another router so I disabled the router at the cable modem level, passed PPOE authentication over to the first DD-WRT device (my WAN facing device after cutting the 2 wire device out of the picture) I was then able to achieve what you are attempting with a WRT54Gv4 and WRT54GL (same chipsets).

Years later I played with it again using two WRT350N devices, no issues.

obviously YMMV

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I have access to the AP device, I can change everything at will, but it was always my understanding that a dd-wrt repeater bridge can work with any WIFI almost without any limitations or constraints such as that they have to be the same radio devices. I'm sure I'm not the fist one who connects a dd-wrt/broadcom device to an unknown AP, so I would love to find postings related to issues with these set ups.

I really appreciate your response.
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found a couple of possible references: if the problem posted on:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277885&highlight=intermittent+internet

is the same as mine, elbgrad (guru) says is a bug in the dd-wrt FW. Also I saw some similar problem with my AP modem/router combo (zoom 5352):

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Problem-establishing-many-connections-at-once/m-p/2331073#M212391

however none of these two options were enabled in my AP router. Tomorrow I will try to set the zoom in modem-only functionality (bridging) and place the RT-AC66U as the AP router and a WRT54GS as the repeater bridge.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielsender wrote:
.... Tomorrow I will try to set the zoom in modem-only functionality (bridging) and place the RT-AC66U as the AP router and a WRT54GS as the repeater bridge.

Good call, try to reduce possible variables in order to simplify solving the equation.

danielsender wrote:
... but it was always my understanding that ...

Hands-on and getting it to work has often adjusted "my understanding" (be it dd-wrt, android rom development, or any other complex systems configuration)... when going from theoretical/academic discussion to practical deployment I've often encountered & had to overcome "speed bumps"

Good Luck!

Assumptions:
HERE
danielsender
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completed disabling the router part of the zoom device (bridging), leaving only the modem functionality and connect the RT-AC66U as the AP router and the WRT54G as the repeater bridge. It works flawlessly!!! So even with the zoom having a Broadcom radio there is still some incompatibility that prevents the repeater from working properly. Without knowing nothing about the capabilities of the firmware, I think it would be nice to have some kind of menu where a dd-wrt repeater bridge connecting to a variety of brands with stock firmware could be configured in such way to avoid the issue that I had. So for example connecting to a zoom 5352, or a linksys RT-AC66U, or a nighthawk, etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot to those who help me sorting this out.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
danielsender wrote:
I completed disabling the router part of the zoom device (bridging), leaving only the modem functionality and connect the RT-AC66U as the AP router and the WRT54G as the repeater bridge. It works flawlessly!!! So even with the zoom having a Broadcom radio there is still some incompatibility that prevents the repeater from working properly. Without knowing nothing about the capabilities of the firmware, I think it would be nice to have some kind of menu where a dd-wrt repeater bridge connecting to a variety of brands with stock firmware could be configured in such way to avoid the issue that I had. So for example connecting to a zoom 5352, or a linksys RT-AC66U, or a nighthawk, etc.

Anyway, thanks a lot to those who help me sorting this out.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Assumptions:
HERE
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: