Optware on latest BS Build / R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
edynasr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 14:20    Post subject: Optware on latest BS Build / R7000 Reply with quote
Dear All,
I have moved from latest available Kong build to the latest BS Build for the purpose of installing Rsync on my R7000. Unfortunately, i couldnt find any working method to install rsync with this new build. Can you please guide me.
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=156013&highlight=optware
ApatheticSympathy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is your posting of that link, your way of saying that the R7000 with the lastest BS release will not work with optware, ddaniel51?

I recently switched my router from kong to current bs since kong is no longer doing his own thing. Not sure if I can install optware now?
mrengles
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ApatheticSympathy wrote:
Is your posting of that link, your way of saying that the R7000 with the lastest BS release will not work with optware, ddaniel51?

I recently switched my router from kong to current bs since kong is no longer doing his own thing. Not sure if I can install optware now?

You can't use opteare with the R7000, no working ARM packages for ddwrt ATM.

Kong is still very active, as a mater of fact he just released a new firmware yesterday. Check the SVN to see active development and search this forum for more info on Kong builds.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here I go opening my big, fat mouth again Smile

mrengles wrote:
Kong is still very active, as a mater of fact he just released a new firmware yesterday. Check the SVN to see active development and search this forum for more info on Kong builds.

This is true... Kong is still active.

Recently I've been cautioning folks pointing out that the new Kong Personal Test Builds (as currently filed here http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/) overwrite the previous files, no history formally maintained. Based on this and other timeline review of the SVN commits I concluded that everything important will ultimately be loaded into the main svn/BS builds. I also pointed out that for bug reporting purposes there was nothing wrong with promoting the BS builds (because ultimately, once the dust settles, they will contain all the Kong's commits)

Those observations were unpopular with some of the devoted Kong MOD folks (PS. I'm still a Kong fanboy on the K26 stuff for many E series linksys devices, at least until we see an ARM/K3 platform friendly optware option).

So I asked Kong what his thoughts were on the subject...

PM Quote Below:
<Kong> wrote:
jheide44 wrote:
Concerning your personal test builds, there has been some recent debate...

I Don't mean to get you involved in dispute resolution (or waste your time), but if i'm wrong and/or being a moron i'll back off.

Question:
should the collective we (users) interpret your personal test build as evidence you are still maintaining a separate KongMOD
or
should we interpret your October 2014 announcement [the decision to merge your "fork" back into the main SVN was designed to remove confusion of multiple "flavors", allow a single method for bug reporting/tracking vai SVN site, and generally free up some of your time, etc.] as we should be promoting the Main SVN Slayer builds

I did not maintain a separate branch since my old K26 builds, when BS introduced K3 he asked me if I want to join the team and he gave me write access. Then I merged all of my fixes/enhancements from my branch and after that worked directly with dd-wrt trunk. Biggest difference with my past K3 builds were, that I tested each release on the target hardware. BrainSlayer can't test all builds on all targets.
I also have things like ddup and bootstrap in my builds, BrainSlayer does not need this since he has similar stuff for paying customer builds, e.g. buffalo dd-wrt builds.

But I don't have the time anymore to run such extensive tests for my builds and write changelogs. Previously I ran more then 30 tests.

I still do some basic testing. Now I only test upload, flashing, internet access and wireless. BrainSlayer won't do this for every target, he usually implements something, tests on one arch e.g. atheros and then uploads all targets, boradcom,ralink,atheros ...

Thus the chances are higher, that you run into a build that bricks a unit.

Note1: If you want to report a bug where a crash dump occurs, it should be done with BrainSlayer build, otherwise he cannot use the crashdump information, because symbol offsets etc. wont match if they were compiled on a different machine.

Note2: I sometimes add code for testing in my releases now, that a couple of people test before I commit it into trunk. I don't add critical stuff, but it can change behavior of existing features, thus you can run into surprises.

Everyone can draw their own conclusions form that^^

In times of rapid development (i.e. the recently new broadcom ARM driver) on "both sides of the development house" there is certainly no harm in helping testing Kongs Personal Test Builds. As he pointed out above he at least still flash tests them for us. On occasion he tests new "non-critical" functionality prior to updating main SVN.

Hell I'm sure that as long as his Personal Test Builds are available there will be folks that will only run them.

After reading Kong's reply, ultimately I am sticking with my original observation(s):
--Anything "important" that Kong contributes to DD-WRT will end up in the main SVN Slayer builds (because Kong in close collaboration with Slayer/Main SVN).
--For all intents and purposes Kong is no longer maintaining a dd-wrt fork.

That said Kong's Personal Test Builds are still good ju-ju Smile

His reply also illustrates the importance of monitoring new build threads such as: http://dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278610
especially for folks that are unableto de-brick/recover from a bad flash... i.e. Keep an eye out on the new build threads and confirm good flashes from others on your hardware before using the files on your own unit.

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrengles wrote:
ApatheticSympathy wrote:

You can't use opteare with the R7000, no working ARM packages for ddwrt ATM.

I am not sure if you can use optware on R7000 or not as it depends on whether and how you can get opkg on your R7000. However, it seems that packages for BCM4708 and BCM4709 are available from openwrt. Check this link: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/bcm53xx/generic/
skimon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 21:18    Post subject: Re: Optware on latest BS Build / R7000 Reply with quote
edynasr wrote:
Dear All,
I have moved from latest available Kong build to the latest BS Build for the purpose of installing Rsync on my R7000. Unfortunately, i couldnt find any working method to install rsync with this new build. Can you please guide me.

My understanding is that optware has been removed for the ARM routers until they can get it cleaned up. I can't help with that, however if all you need for now is rsync command line I built it from source recently and posted it here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=935598&highlight=#935598
cokabug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03    Post subject: Re: Optware on latest BS Build / R7000 Reply with quote
skimon1 wrote:
edynasr wrote:
Dear All,

My understanding is that optware has been removed for the ARM routers until they can get it cleaned up. I can't help with that, however if all you need for now is rsync command line I built it from source recently and posted it here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=935598&highlight=#935598

thanks~~
davidm71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 22:43    Post subject: Opt ware is a no go? Reply with quote
Hi,
I was reading the Optware the right way guide and it said it supports BS builds up to 19519, but I gather you guys are saying it's not compatible with ARM CPUs that are in the R7000? I have a very recent BS build on my R7000 and wish to get AirPrint and AirPlay functionality going. Found guides that explain how but require Optware and then installing cups and avahi. Actually the guide uses Tomatousb instead. Worst come to worst I have my old rt-n66u I can use for this project. Rather not burn two candles though.

Thanks.
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
@davidm71 and anyone else wanting to use additional software on an R7000 or other ARM based router running DD-WRT, see this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279003&sid=d524fa711b8f4f57fd8f92a90c308dde

It's called EntWare, and it's essentially the same thing as Optware, but it's for ARM based devices instead of MIPS, etc.

Netgear R6700 (Un-opened with stock. My backup/emergency router if the R7000 takes a dump...)

2x Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 28493 (Used for 2.4 Ghz bridge when needed.)

Asus WL-500g Premium (1x v1 & 1x v2) (Still have, but retired for now.)

1x Linksys WRT54G v8 >>DD-WRT v24SP1 (The other routers needed something to point at and make fun of.)
davidm71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 13:30    Post subject: Thanks for link Reply with quote
SirSilentBob wrote:
@davidm71 and anyone else wanting to use additional software on an R7000 or other ARM based router running DD-WRT, see this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279003&sid=d524fa711b8f4f57fd8f92a90c308dde

It's called EntWare, and it's essentially the same thing as Optware, but it's for ARM based devices instead of MIPS, etc.

Yes I found out about Entware shortly after my post. Researching it now. Thank you.
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@davidm71:

No problem! I hope you find the packages/programs you need there!

Netgear R6700 (Un-opened with stock. My backup/emergency router if the R7000 takes a dump...)

2x Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 28493 (Used for 2.4 Ghz bridge when needed.)

Asus WL-500g Premium (1x v1 & 1x v2) (Still have, but retired for now.)

1x Linksys WRT54G v8 >>DD-WRT v24SP1 (The other routers needed something to point at and make fun of.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: