DIR-615 D2 Repeater Bridge VERY slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 15:34    Post subject: DIR-615 D2 Repeater Bridge VERY slow Reply with quote
I'm using a DIR-615 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (02/04/14) std
(SVN revision 23503) as a repeater bridge. I'm seeing horribly slow down speeds from speedtest.net when connecting through this (0.8Mbit/sec) - wired or wireless. Up speeds are OK.

Connecting wirelessly to the main router I'm getting down speeds of around 50Mbit/sec, so there's something amiss in the wireless bridging I think.

Has anyone hit this problem and is there any resolution.

Sorry, I think this should be in the Ralink section for a D2 hardware level, please could an admin move it, thanks Dave

Thanks
Dave
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router and for me the builds that were working well (running for 1 month+ without issues) were:
25737 (test build)
I've recently updated to 25125 and then 25138, but honestly, something's not right, I sometimes see slowdowns on one of the clients (a laptop with Atheros AR9285 WiFi card) after only 1 day --- connection speeds drop from 150 Mb/s to 54-65 Mb/s after some time, restarting the client solves the issue for a while (few hours). I just reverted back to 25737, on which I didn't see this issue... still testing...

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that, I tried build 25697 but I found I couldn't talk to it after changing the IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.129.225 saving the config and re-booting (naturally changing my IP to the same subnet), so wasn't really able to test that.

I'll give one of the build levels you suggested a try.

Thanks
Dave
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I put build 25179 on, and got this result from a computer attached to one of the LAN ports

<http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4126448748>

So no improvement in DL speed unfortunately.

Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
perdrix wrote:
I put build 25179 on, and got this result from a computer attached to one of the LAN ports

<http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4126448748>

So no improvement in DL speed unfortunately.

Dave

Stay on 25179 for the time being, do not change it again because your problem is somewhere else. I used that build on my D2 for a long time and it was stable, fast, 94 Mb/s for both upload and download speeds in speedtest.net.

There might be a configuration problem or something else. Try to update your PC/laptop's driver to latest. Also clear the cache of your browser. Check the LAN cable fits properly and test on cable first. I get 94/94 down/up on cable and 70/80 down/up on WiFi.

Oh, I just realized you set it up as Repeater Bridge. I would first try it via cable in regular AP mode, then as regular Repeater mode and only then as Repeater Bridge. Try to rule out the issue one step at a time.

In regular Repeater mode I get approx 50-60 Mbps up/down.

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing I can say is that all clients connecting to this (wired or wireless) are seeing the same problem, so I'm pretty certain it's not cables or ethernet drivers.

I assume setting to Repeater stops the LAN ports from working? I'm happy to try that once SWMBO has stopped using her LAN attached computer.

I'm not clear what running it as an AP will prove, but guess that means attaching it to my LAN using cable to one of the LAN ports and then connecting to the router using wireless.

Thanks, Dave
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I tried to configure it as a repeater according the Wiki "Linking Routers/Repeater", but the wireless clients attached to the SSID of the main router (connecting to the repeater), and had no connectivity. I also tried connecting to the virtual SSID, with the same results Sad

So back the original problem Sad

Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, let's troubleshoot properly: I propose to set it up as a regular Repeater (and NOT Repeater Bridge).

So the DIR-615 router's subnet must be different than the Host AP's subnet.

Please follow the steps below to set up the DIR-615 as regular Repeater:

1. Flash latest build 26138 from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/dlink-dir615d/

2. Administration -> Factory Defaults: Restore. Apply Settings. Wait 1-2 minutes for changes to take effect.

3. Wireless -> Basic Settings:
- Wireless Mode = AP
- fill out the Wireless Network Name (SSID) field with the SSID broadcasted by the Host AP
- choose "Wide HT40" for channel width
- Save. Save. (yes, Save twice)
- Choose THE SAME channel number as the one broadcasted by the Host AP (this is VERY important)
- Save. (yes, do exactly as I write)
- choose Repeater instead of AP
- Save. (at this point the field with Channel number will disappear, but the chosen channel number will be remembered - this is a known bug for Ralink)

4. In Wireless -> Basic Settings:
Add a new Virtual Interface, give it a different SSID (e.g. DIR615_VAP)

5. Wireless -> Wireless Security:
Set up the WiFi security for both networks (the Repeated and the VAP)

WPA2 Personal, AES, Passwords (make sure the password of the Repeater network matches the password asked by host AP's WiFi). Save.

6. Setup -> Basic Setup:
-> WAN Connection: Automatic (DHCP)
-> Router IP: 192.168.2.1 (the 3rd number in this IP should be different than the corresponding number in the Host AP's IP. I assume that the Host AP is 192.168.1.1). If not sure what the IP of the Host AP is, try 192.168.5.1 instead of 192.168.2.1. It's important for this IP to be different than the IP of Host AP.
-> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

7. Apply Settings. Wait 1-2 minutes for changes to take effect. Reboot Router.

8. Connect with laptop to DIR615_VAP (you can now be sure you are connecting to the DIR-615 router and not to the Host AP's SSID)

8. If it still doesn't connect to the Host AP after steps 1-6, then you should do an extra modification in Wireless -> Basic Settings:
- change Extension channel to "Upper" (instead of the default "Lower").
- Save. Apply.

Last edited by KrypteX on Fri Feb 13, 2015 18:37; edited 1 time in total
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should I set up a virtual port with a different SSID from the main router as well?

Thanks
Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
perdrix wrote:
Should I set up a virtual port with a different SSID from the main router as well?

Thanks
Dave

Yes, because otherwise it will be difficult to control the connection to the DIR-615 router only. (The repeater has the same SSID with the Host AP SSID and you can't easily control which one you connect to). I'll update my post above in a minute.

*Edit: I've just updated my previous post.

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 26138 seems to have resolved the problem - very many thanks. I installed it and thought "I'll just try in repeater bridge mode first"

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4142115737

and as you can see it looks pretty good.

I'll try repeater mode on Sunday, just to see it that will work, but overall I'm happy Smile
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
perdrix wrote:
Build 26138 seems to have resolved the problem - very many thanks.

You're welcome Cool

hungde62
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 20:20    Post subject: Dlink could not work as repeater Reply with quote
Dear KrypteX

I followed exactly your instruction but my Dlink router still could not connect to the main router. My Dlink is a DIR-615 D3. I noticed that when I connected it with the main router via a cable it could reach the internet only when I plug the cable into one of its LAN port, if I plug into the WAN port it failed to connect to the internet.
Please help, I still very new in this router erea.

Best regards
A. Hung
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
What do you use to detect the broadcasted channels of the Host AP ? For DIR-615 D and H versions (Ralink-based) you need to know exactly the channel(s) the Host AP is transmitting on.
Use Acrylic to detect and you must set the same channel on the repeater, too (first in AP mode, then switch to Repeater mode, see my bolded description above on how to do that. I won't repeat myself).

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
It looks like a spoke too soon Sad

Speed in Repeater-Bridge has dropped back to the appalling sub 1Mbit rate.

a re-boot improves things for a short while.

Looking at the log on the main router (BT Homehub 5) I see that the D-Link with DD-WRT is associating/dissociating every two seconds.

When I tried in repeater mode I could still access the internet via the LAN ports which rather surprised me.

When in repeater mode the speed on a single speed test started off quite well >20Mbit but rapidly fell away with packet interchange intervals appearing to increase logarithmically.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: