DIR-615 D2 Repeater Bridge VERY slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trying again in repeater mode:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4150220847

Not too good Crying or Very sad

So I suspect something amiss in the connection to the main router which should sustain Wireless N speeds to this router with no problems.

Dave
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes, seeing the same behavior here. tried 25974, 26081 and 26138... it seems to be interference from a "bad" client, Atheros AR9285-based laptop... I'm still testing...
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't *think* it's a bad client, as apart from my iPhone3 all the other WiFi stuff in the house had their radios off.

HtH Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me it's definitely interference from that AR9285-based laptop.

When I'm connecting ONLY with my Intel WiFi 6205-based laptop to the WNDR3800 Client Bridge, everything is perfectly working, no RX errors at all, speeds up in the 40-60 Mb/s, without drops. Works great.

As soon as this other laptop, AR9285-based, connects to the Host AP (not the WNDR3800) the speeds on the Intel WiFi 6205 slow down a lot, sometimes down to 1-5 Mbps... And immediately a lot of RX errors are produced (around 15-20%) on the WNDR3800.

This is clearly interference between the AR9285-based router and one of the routers (Host AP or the Client Bridge WNDR3800).

Last edited by KrypteX on Mon Feb 23, 2015 21:49; edited 1 time in total
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
When running the speedtest, I see lots of receive errors logged.

There are unfortunately lots of other wireless routers round here, so there will be some interference. I've settled on channel 11 as there are marginally fewer others on this channel, and they have lower signal levels. 1 or 6 would likely be a problem as some idiot has set his router to channel 4 (arrggh).

Is there anything I can do to capture logs or similar to help narrow down the problem?

Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you please list the WiFi card models of the laptops that connect to the router ? I'd like to see if there are similarities with my own clients. For me it's clearly this AR9285-based "bad client" laptop. I will change the driver for that AR9285 WiFi card soon, let's see if it still creates interference problems.
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
At the time of the last tests the laptop in question was not powered at all.

Behaviour when in repeater bridge better than repeater mode (*far* fewer receive errors reported) and speedtest.net jumps up to about 20Mbit and then decays rapidly to 2.5Mbit and then tails off.

The main use of the repeater bridge is to connect a computer and printer via a couple of its ethernet ports to the rest of the computer equipment and the main router all of which are at the other end of the house. The fact it also extends the wireless coverage is mighty useful though.

Dave
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump .. Any progress debugging this?

Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, but I'm still testing the DIR-615 D2. It seems the 26138 build has some WiFi broadcasting issues (my other router detects it broadcasting only b/g @54Mb/s speeds in Site Survey, which is very strange).

I'm now testing the old, but stable build 23320 and then I'll also test the latest 26339. Will report back if and when I discover the real issue behind these slowdowns.

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK let me know if I can do anything to help (e.g. enable syslog and set up a log capture daemon on the network).

Cheers
Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been testing 23320, I see similar slowdowns and lots of RX errors, very similar to 26138.
I noticed one particular setting that helps somewhat: set Wireless -> Advanced -> CTS Protection mode = Disable (Default is Auto).
I've done this because the Default on my Atheros-based WNDR3800 is with CTS Protection mode Disabled.

I also have: Wireless -> Basic settings -> NG-Mixed (instead of Mixed). I don't use B-devices, so I don't need any compatibility modes set up for them.

I've just flashed 26339, will get back after some tests. Meanwhile, try NG-Mixed and also Disable the CTS Protection mode and see what happens.

perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately neither NG-Mixed nor CTS protection Disabled made any appreciable difference.

Dave
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm on 26348... seems different, but I'm not sure yet if something has changed. Still slower when the "bad client" laptop is present, some hiccups from time-to-time, but otherwise the speeds don't decrease so badly...
tuspam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone compare speed repeater bridge vs WDS?
perdrix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the silence it appears I am out of luck in getting this fixed Sad.

Looks like I need a abandon DD-WRT which I'd prefer not to do Sad and buy a commercial repeater bridge.

Davee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: