Slow Speed Tests - Best Router that can handle it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Geminiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 13:52    Post subject: Slow Speed Tests - Best Router that can handle it? Reply with quote
Hi all, I'm on Comcast with 8 megabit with bursting to 15 meg.

If I plugin my computer directly to the cable box, I get about 8800-9200 down and about 2.1 up.

If I plugin my linksys gs 2.1 and do the same test with no other devices on the network and QoS disabled, hooked up by wire, not wireless the best I can muster is 7200 and it's very variable even at that. (using speedtest.net)

I take it from reading the boards that this is because the processor just can't handle the load.

So given that, and I would like to upgrade to a good N based product, which would everyone recommend?

I'd like it dual channel 600 in theory megabit and gigabit ports. I love buffalo but I see I can't buy them in the US/Canada right now for some reason.

I'd also like one with at lest 16 meg of ram, and a usb port on the back for stuff would be a real bonus but not required.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsor
MicroMonkey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use a 54GL with comcast, same package, and all my speeds are what they should be
007consulting
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried that and my results with the same model are both the same. I thought the WAN port is the same as the LAN ports, 10/100. Is that not true for this model?

All speedtests are variable with broadband, because your sharing bandwidth with thousands of people. High in the morning, low in the afternoon and weekends. Only if you had a dedicated line would it be constant.

I'm on Comcast, and find speedtest.net is way off - too high - my network is DOCSIS 1.1, we haven't upgraded to 3.0 yet. 1.1 is 1200/4700, and speedtest is giving me these rediculoes numbers like 1900/16000. Those bursts arent for everything, they throttle certain things, think thats why the numbers may be off. Login to your modem and look for the bit rate settings. Thats how you know if you have the higher speeds, or bogus speedtest results.

Try speakeasy, its closer. Or this one, put in your zip..http://www.bandwidth.com/content/tools/
For Comcast, use dslreports.com as a source for Comcast inside info...
Geminiman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize that it can be very variable.

HOWEVER:

Plugged into my Vista Quad Core with a gigabit wan port I ALWAYS get (no matter what speed test I use)

~8400 down, 1890 up (up and down a few hundred kbs at any time, but not much)

Plugged into the Linksys:
~7800 down, 1600 up BEST CASE Scenario.

Either there is something wrong with the linksys (I considered that and did a hard reset for 30 seconds (twice) and left it pure defaults and theren's no difference)

Or the linksys can't process that much data... so... anyone have any suggestions for a really great and fast wireless - N router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: