DD-WRT for D-link DIR615 C1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
mslisaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30    Post subject: DD-WRT for D-link DIR615 C1 Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT on my old standby Linksys router and it has worked flawlessly for five years. I have a D-link DIR-615 C1 ver3.10NA that I would love to get rid of that cryptic log in nonsense and put some good software on this router that would wake it up. I have gone to the DD-WRT wikki for this and followed the directions but the link that would take me to a list of the original firmware so I could do the "hex editor" thing that info is no longer there. Further down on the page is a version that someone put up that has the hex change made to it but it won't load. I'm using Firefox from a Windows XP computer and I can get into the router but it just won't take the upload.

I don't understand the reason for the "hex change" and I would love if someone had the .bin file I need to upload that would actually upload. Any ideas would be appreciated. If I can get this router to work I'm going to take my linksys and turn it into a repeater and take it apart so I can solder in a new antenna connector so I can use a remote receive antenna and get it outside the tin building to get a good wifi signal and then broadcast that inside the building. Sounds like a neat project but I need to get the D-link running DD-WRT. I realize guys have done this as they talk about their 615's running DD-WRT and I would like to get there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Lisa
Sponsor
Serendi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just did this today for my old dlink. I discovered that the default dd-wrt firmware worked but I did have to modify the hardware iD at the end of the file to pretend '00' like it said in the notes. It would dot download until I had changed the two values for 0x00 to 0x30 using a hex editor
I am having some other issues so please let me know how you progress
Serendi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
That should read prepend not pretend.
mslisaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Serendi for taking your time to help me and respond here. I don't know how to use a hex editor and in reading some of the instructions you open the file and then resave it and then you have to actually find the line. This process may be a little beyond my computer capibilities.

But I do appreciate your help and suggestion. I'm just afraid of the hex editor as I have never seen one before.

Best regards,

Lisa
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can always use Total Commander, if you know how to use it, it has a HEX Editor incorporated and much, much more.
If not, this:
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

mslisaj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks KrypteX for your response also. I've never used a hex editor and this process is just beyond me. As I mentioned in my original post i was able to get a good file for me Linksys router and it was a straight forward system to upload that file and I had dd-wrt on that router and it works very well. I was hoping it to be that easy with the D-link and that is why I posted and asked the question. But apparently there are too many D-link versions to have just one file to make it work and you have to go in and change things. I'm afraid to do that and the router actually works fine it's just the log in screen is difficult with that cryptic box you have to play with each time.

Rather then risk bricking this router I'll just accept it's faults. But thanks again for you suggestions.

Regards,

Lisa
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW,
if you are a windows user familiar with Notepad++ they have a hex editor plugin.

I recently used my kids windows laptop and notepad++ to upgrade one of my WRT610Nv2 uints CFE to an E3000...

it was also a useful program when poking at linux config files from windows/cygwin angle (for playing around with android "stuff")

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
&
http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/Hex%20Editor/

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: