DD-WRT for Netgear WNDR4500 (V2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dsquared
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 13:48    Post subject: DD-WRT for Netgear WNDR4500 (V2) Reply with quote
I have recently acquired a Netgear WNDR4500V2 that I would dearly love to flash to DD-WRT.

Having checked the router database, I see that V1 of this router is listed as WIP and V2 is not listed at all. However, I have found snippits in various threads (and files on the FTP site) that indicate that both versions of this router are indeed supported. Putting all the various pieces together has been somewhat of a challenge with one part here, one part there, and conflicting information all over the place.

Having flashed other Netgear routers, I know that I had to go through an initial flash before I could load the "real" DD-WRT firmware, but I did not see the same procedure mentioned for the 4500 series. I am a bit hesitant to try the flash for fear of bricking the router out of ignorance or a missed step.

Does anyone have a concise, step by step flash procedure (and files) similar to the support pages for other routers than can be posted here and/or updated on the router database?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some info that might assist:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260651

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
dsquared
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Some info that might assist:

I've looked through that post as well as this one:

The questions I am encountering are these:
1. Some of the links to builds are broken. Nevertheless, I did find the FTP site and am able to locate the latest beta builds for this router. There are many depending on what date one looks at.
2. The threads are completely silent on the need for a mini build before loading anything else. Is that required or not?
3. Sorting through all the builds is somewhat of a crap shoot. Is there a stable build? Or should I go with the latest beta?
4. How about disaster recovery if the load bricks the router? Again, much contradictory information on how to recover.

If we could boil it all down to the essentials instead of having someone do an easter egg hunt through multiple threads and getting conflicting info, that would be outstanding.

I'm all for fishing, but I need to know if I'm fishing for marlin or fishing for carp.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Builds are a crap shoot, if you don't do research. Peacock announcement is fairly up to date on builds, and the links are not broken.

You will need to flash a trailed build first. What you flash next is up to you. See the peacock announcement notes 1, 3, and 4.

You should be able to recover a router with a serial cable if you haven't monkeyed with the bootloader or wholeflash. Peacock announcement note 11.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
dsquared
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you. This does help.

Armed with this information, I will continue my research. If (when) I am successful, I will post my results.
dsquared
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not going into all the details that are posted in the peacock thread and others, this is what I have been able to find during my research and boiling files and locations down to the essentials. If someone could please confirm or deny these conclusions, I would be most appreciative.

1. Although I could not find reference to a trailed build for the WNDR4500V2, I did find dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500V2.chk at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Initial. This is about a 6 meg file, so it appears that it might be a trailed build. Can someone confirm that?

2. From the discussions, it appears that dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin found at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/25015-SP1 is the latest stable build for this router. Again, can someone confirm this?

3. The latest beta build for this router appears to be dd-wrt.v24-26125_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-WNDR4500V2.bin
found at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-02-2015-r26125/netgear-wndr4500v2/. One more time - can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
dsquared
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
As promised, here is some followup.

The files and links posted above are indeed the latest stable builds. I was able to flash with no problems whatsoever.

I also flashed the latest beta and got a labeled "giga" build. All seems to be working as advertised.

There are some features that are not documented well in the latest builds. I haven't played much with them so can't tell the effects of messing with them.

Before attempting the flash, I was able to procure an Adafruit USB to ttl serial cable. Hooked it up and was able to monitor the progress of the flash. So that is a good cable to use as well. Windows 7 was able to find the driver with no issues whatsoever.
strexfire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dsquared, I also have a WNDR4500v2 and want to flash with dd-wrt. I am extremely new to this and have read many pages trying to figure this out. My assumption(likely wrong) on flashing it is as follows..
1)upload dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500V2.chk file for router update
2)upload dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin file for router update
------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please explain to me the flashing process and confirm that these are the correct files. Sorry for the lack of knowledge.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
strexfire wrote:
Dsquared, I also have a WNDR4500v2 and want to flash with dd-wrt. I am extremely new to this and have read many pages trying to figure this out. My assumption(likely wrong) on flashing it is as follows..
1)upload dd-wrt.v24-K3_WNDR4500V2.chk file for router update
2)upload dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC.bin file for router update
------------------------------------------------------------
Can you please explain to me the flashing process and confirm that these are the correct files. Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

If you haven't already please read the peacock announcement (at least all the notes in bold at the top), link in red section of my siggy. it will discuss standard flashing procedures, etc.

I can't speak specifically to your device. but your logic looks sound.

check this out:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Readme

this is a good read too:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Changelog

looks like you got the right *.chk file from here:
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/Initial/

from there you can go with Kong firmware in one of the other svn revision # subdirectories of the "K3-AC" dir (if sticking with Kong, I'd try the most recent one)...

just know it appears that Kong ended posting new pre-compiled builds on the "K3-AC" stuff back in October 2014 (along with abandoning his old K26 builds)

I've spoken with a few of the R6300v1 users that find themselves in a similar situation. I've heard that a few of them were having issues on Kongs latest "K3-AC" and moved to the main BS builds...

there is a "netgear-wndr4500v2" folder out on the Main SVN/Web Repo:
i.e. ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/netgear-wndr4500v2/

Please check the new builds threads like this one:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=278610&sid=1fd3e367df18bff54db675d2e27f0531

to make sure others with your hardware have had successful flashes, especially if you don't have serial/jtag capabilities.

of course i'd defer to the suggestions of dsquared, or anyone else that has had hands-on success with your actual device (I almost won a bricked one of these on eBay today, so I had just been reading up on this device)

PS while this thread might be aged (and reference an older build), it may detail any reset procedure quirks... I know the 30-30-30 doesnt' apply to the BCM4707/4708/4709 ARM devices, but I am not sure about your device.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=173982
(keep in mind this was the early days of support/testing for several devices like yours)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: