WPA or WEP + CHILISPOT works on which build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:05    Post subject: WPA or WEP + CHILISPOT works on which build? Reply with quote
Hi,

Using DD-WRT v24 RC-6 (01/02/08 ) std
(SVN revision 8743) on WRT54GL

Sorry, I searched and searched... and I posted already something similar under the V24 development but I'd like to know which build(s) ** currently ** support WPA, WPA2 or WEP on the wireless side WITH Chilispot. At least WPA... At worst WEP.

I plan on using it with Chilispot.

Independently, Chilispot works fine for me since 18 months but not able to get it to work with the secured wlan.

WPA and WPA2 works fine for me without Chilispot.
But as soon as I start Chili, no connections + 169s And when I try with the less secured WEP protocol, I can connect but loose the connectivity after approx. 5 minutes. Further, the router then disappears (SSID) and I have to reboot it.

Anybody got a working chilispot + secured wireless connections together? I know it's a little unusual to secure a hotspot but would like to have it working on a special setup. But at the same time, it should be a no-brainer...

Any infos would be so much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Last edited by jeanh on Fri Feb 29, 2008 22:27; edited 6 times in total
Sponsor
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. So let me rephrase my question differently ;-)

Kinda strange, this info seems not so easy to find.
Despite finding infos in the wiki about WPA or WEP, I cannot find the specific build on which it is known to work.

Is anybody using full time WPA or WPA2 or WEP + CHILI on their WLAN connections?

If yes, on which most recent build?

On a WRT54GL?

Maybe I am just having problems with the WRT54GLs...
Maybe it works on other routers? Not sure either.

Maybe to make it work properly, we need more than 16Mb RAM on the router?

Any infos will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jeanh on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:09; edited 1 time in total
snolsen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using WPA2 since I started using DD-WRT. Started out with V23 and am now running DD-WRT v24 RC-6 (01/02/08 ) std
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 14:30    Post subject: WPA / WEP Reply with quote
Hi,

You can use WPA or WEP on most of the builds. We do run WPA for our links, and no issues at all.

You can try using v23 SP3, or v24 RC-6 or Pre-RC7 on Eko directory. Beware of the version of your router, check it before installing the _535X versions.

Michel.

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for your messages.

Are you using WPA WPA2 or WEP with Chilispot running in parallel? Or without Chili?

Are your clients connecting to the router with WPA...?

On which specific hardware are you running it?

I cannot for the life of me get it to work on WRT54GLs...

It seems so simple, so straightforward but WPA or WPA2 seems to activate but I cannot connect from the portable PC. I tried and tried. With WEP, it starts working and I am able to hook up to it but somewhat crashes the router after a few minutes which then needs to be rebooted. I also loose the SSID.

Currently running hotspots with no problems ** but without secured encrypted connections **. As most...

But willing to invest a bit more to have a good working solution... Thinking about Avilas if they really work with WPA + Chilispot...

Really need some more advice...

Last edited by jeanh on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12; edited 2 times in total
mpro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
On my side, no chilli. Using WPA Personnal. Had no problem to set it up and conenct. I tried it with various devices (3 different laptop, wireless Media server, PDA) all with WPA. No problemo.

Running EKO V24 RC7 on WHR-G125

Maybe 1 question. Have you check if there is an updated driver for your card ?
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, thanks, I have checked and the driver is updated. On the other hand, I hook up via WPA on other devices here without problems. So actually, I am sure there are no problems on the client side.
I am currently testing with XP + Vista clients. And hopefully I'll test with Linux too since I plan to use some mini Linux stations hooked up to the Chilispot.

You say it works on your side but without Chilispot.

Ok. So a different story.
WPA works fine for me too BUT without Chilispot.
I am looking to find a solution where both WPA and Chilispot work together.

I think... that is where the problem may appear...
Everyone says WPA works but never heard of it working in parallel with Chili.
It is rare for people managing hotspots to provide encrypted connections.

I'd really like in the best of situations to provide both encrypted links and open ones for people to chose from. Or to let people get some info on the open side before going to the encrypted side. I've seen that solution served by big telecoms.

Wonder if I should try the EKO build or go back to V23. Hummm...

Thanks a lot

Last edited by jeanh on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:27; edited 2 times in total
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
LATEST NEWS
Tonight...
After lots of tests on V23 SP2, same on V24 RC6...
WPA works fine, no problems... BUT as soon as you start up Chilispot, problems appear.

Unable to connect. Or sometimes 169 errors.
When I reconfigure with Chili alone without wireless secured WPA encryption, everything works as it should.

I don't have a clue why it does not...
Maybe not enough memory? Although I have 16Mbs on the GLs...

I wish it worked... Don't know what to do now...

Hope BS or Eko or some highly knowledgeable person reads this...

Who knows about the solution?
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hummm... Am I the only one who is trying to use WPA basic security encrypting on the clients connections to a hotspot driven by Chilispot?

The idea is to hand out a WPA key once per week or per month in order to allow some basic secure connections even to a hotspot.

When people want to connect, the operator hands out the WPA key + login and passwords.

Hotspots users are more and more conscious about some level of security.

The WPA key is managed directly on the routers (or could be by radius too) and the login and passwords are managed by radius as usual.

I just can't find out the reason why it doesn't work with Chilispot other than an unknown bug or something that would render both WPA connection and Chilispot incapabable of operating together.
jeanh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated.

I finally submitted a bug report.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=2975

Also praying that Chilispot support will not disappear from DD-WRT since alternatives like Wifidog or Coova do not solve this either.
wifiuser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there

im doing exactly the same configuration as u trying,
using chillispot with encryption...

the thing is
-chillispot works correclty without encryption
-wpa(wep/tkip) works correctly without chilli

but both in same time dont works

the client hook the ssid no problem, but cant get dhcp address from chillispot...no idea why...

And after lots of hours of testing and search on the net..., i found your post :/

Hacking this is way too easy at the moment...and i dont want someone to deface the login webpage and get the login/pass...

besides i tried wds repeater mode with chilli in open but cant make it works so if u have some good links or feedback on wat u did,
thx!
skidoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:15    Post subject: Jesus F-ing Christ Reply with quote
Necro'ing this thread for posterity.

1. READ POSTS BEFORE YOU REPLY. Jeanh CLEARLY stated that he couldn't use WPA/WEP authenthication **WHILE RUNNING CHILLISPOT**. No one on this thread cares if you can run WPA/WEP on your primary interface while NOT running Chillispot. GOOD GRIEF!!!

Signal-to-noise people; signal-to-noise.

2. One year later, almost to the DAY, and this problem still persists. Running v24-sp2 (01/29/09) std on a Linksys WRT150N v1.1.

3. A (potentially) VIABLE WORKAROUND: Create a new "bridged" virtual interface, and lock it down. It'll keep its security settings just fine, even with Chillispot running.

Sure would be nice if someone would tweak DD-WRT's Chillispot implementation to fix this little nit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: