Help/Advice for better performance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before doing anything more serious, try:
In Wireless settings: set Channel 6, instead of 11.

One more question: Did you do a "Reset to Factory Defaults" and then set up manually the router (without restoring settings from a previous backup) ?

Sponsor
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Before doing anything more serious, try:
In Wireless settings: set Channel 6, instead of 11.

One more question: Did you do a "Reset to Factory Defaults" and then set up manually the router (without restoring settings from a previous backup) ?

I have tried just about every channel also with different channel widths, modes and extension. Tried changing TX power from between 10 - 300. Played around with CTS protection mode on/off, frame burst, bluetooth coexistence, afterburner, qos settings, firewall scripts... pretty sure out of options here lol.

Have done several factory resets and manual setup between each update and in general. No one else is on the network except me right now.

Could signal be a problem or router power? It's a very old router with ten or more devices battering it with data sending signals all over the place. I noticed other night having my laptop next to router with the Intel AC7260 I would get solid 300Mbps adapter speed and full bandwidth in tests. Bring it downstairs and it drops but worst mostly with this Atheros chip, today however has been the worst it has ever been.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then it's probably slow due to distance + walls. Do you get full speed on your client laptop, if you are let's say 2-3 meters (6-10 feet) from the router, without any wall in between ?
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Then it's probably slow due to distance + walls. Do you get full speed on your client laptop, if you are let's say 2-3 meters (6-10 feet) from the router, without any wall in between ?

Doesn't explain why I have had faster speeds previously though, normally I would get around 40Mbps out of the 50Mbps from my room.

I got full speed at around 1 meter from router, can't test further as room the router is in isn't big enough before being out the door.

Don't know whether to risk buying a new modern router like an Asus dual band AC or just being safe and cheaper getting the Cat 5e cable.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the DIR-615 D2, which is basically almost the same hardware as your D4. I have always set TX Power 71 mW. I think 100 mW is way too much on this Ralink radio, since the factory TX Power is under 40 mW...

That being said, I would try 2 more things:

1. Telnet or SSH to the router and run the following command:
erase nvram
then wait at least 20 seconds and then give the following command:
reboot
Wait for the reboot and set up the router manually from scratch.
The "erase nvram" command will erase the nvram settings and repopulate after reboot.

2. If still not good, then try the D-Link factory firmware, just to make sure it's not DD-WRT the culprit.

Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
I have the DIR-615 D2, which is basically almost the same hardware as your D4. I have always set TX Power 71 mW. I think 100 mW is way too much on this Ralink radio, since the factory TX Power is under 40 mW...

That being said, I would try 2 more things:

1. Telnet or SSH to the router and run the following command:
erase nvram
then wait at least 20 seconds and then give the following command:
reboot
Wait for the reboot and set up the router manually from scratch.
The "erase nvram" command will erase the nvram settings and repopulate after reboot.

2. If still not good, then try the D-Link factory firmware, just to make sure it's not DD-WRT the culprit.

Erased the nvram and setup new but still the same problem. Will have to wait later to try flashing D-Link firmware, is it any good, never used it?

Thanks for the help.
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Re-installed the AC7260 chip which gives me solid 5 bars, good quality signal and hey presto speed is back to 40Mbps, not quite full but far better than before. Not sure what happened to my Atheros as it has always worked since two days ago, not changed anything.

Cat5e coming tomorrow anyway so not going to stress anymore over it.

Thanks.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which driver version did you use for the AC7260 ?
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
17.13.11.5 [08/12/2014]

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
This one ? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24652/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
No idea, I use Windows 8.1 x64 and Driver Booster Pro for my drivers.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fotek wrote:
No idea, I use Windows 8.1 x64 and Driver Booster Pro for my drivers.

AFAICT, relying on 3rd-party software to update your DRIVERS (!?) is not at all a good idea.
The AC7260 is known to have problems, the Intel Wireless forum is full of complaints. So, for Windows 8.1 x64 I would install Intel's official driver, use file Wireless_17.14.0_e164.exe from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24656/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1-

Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trust me I have and still do use drivers from official sites, have been using Driver Booster Pro two years building systems and has never let me down. It still uses official drivers and actually found the only driver for this chip to work decent compared to trying manually.
Fotek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ethernet <3

Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: