NEW DEVICE: TP-LINK TL-WR740N v5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Thatoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello all,

I am completely new on that topic.
I am in Iran to learn Persian language and Internet is very much censured here so I wanted to install a VPN on my router (no VPN yet on my firefox os phone).
I've just bought the TL-WR740N as advised here, http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Firmware_FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F .
Unfortunatly, when I opened it, it is not a v4.x as I was expecting when I was reading the wiki. I discovered that a v5.0 exist.
It looks very much alike the description from Checho (even the picture of the board is very similar to the board inside my device).
"
1) no ON/OFF button
2) power is now 5V with a very small connector
3) no QSS button
4) reset button is now bigger and accessible without sharp tools
"

When I was reading this thread, I'm afraid of this sentence : "2mb are only chinese versions. International versions are 4mb flash." because I am in iran... not a very regulated contry as you might imagine.
How can i know if this device is good to be flashed? (how to check the bootlog as checho did?). The FCC ID is TE7WR741NXv5.
Firmware Version:
3.16.9 Build 141113 Rel.61554n
Hardware Version:
WR740N/WR741ND v5 00000000

Do I have the international or Chinese version?

Then, I found where to download. You need to go either on this page, http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads or on the ftp ftp.dd-wrt.com and then navigate to betas › 2015 › 08-25-2015-r27745 › tplink_tl-wr740nv5 (later visitors, be aware that this path we'll change with time because it's linked to the release date).
There are two files factory-to-ddwrt.bin and tl-wr740nv5-webflash.bin.

Which file is the usefull one, factory-to-ddwrt.bin or tl-wr740nv5-webflash.bin?

Finally, once I'll be sure my device is ok and I know which file I should use, where is the procedure to follow? Can I follow this tutorial https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=285277&sid=fdb547449b93675fdd1f08e28d9a8f97 ? Could you confirm that it's ok because he is speaking of doing a 30-30-30 reset on router wheareas I read we are not supposed to do it, "never do a 30-30-30 that's for Broadcom, 740 is Atheros!"

Thank you very much in advance for your advises and help.

Take care,
Thatoo
Sponsor
Thatoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let me sumary my questions :

How to be sure I have international or chinese version of TL-WR740N v5 ?

Which file should be downloaded and used, factory-to-ddwrt.bin or tl-wr740nv5-webflash.bin?

Then, is this page a good tutorial to follow?
https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=285277&sid=fdb547449b93675fdd1f08e28d9a8f97
I thought we should "never do a 30-30-30 that's for Broadcom, TL-WR740N v5 is Atheros"...

Thank you in advance,
Thatoo
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX asked you for a screenshot of the back of your router on your other post
You only need Factory file coming from stock
Yes good tutorial just skip step #2

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for answering.
I posted the screenshot.

So you advise to flash using factory-to-ddwrt.bin ?

I should skip only step 2 or also step 7?
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
About the screenshot wait for his answer
Flashing factory is not an advise is the way to do it
Yes avoid #7 too

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
A version intended for the local Chinese market does not have an FCC Id number.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since your router has FCC ID in your snapshot http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=982070#982070 , it is a regular international version, not chinese.

I recommend to flash build 27506 for WR740Nv5 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/tplink_tl-wr740nv5/
For first time flash (from factory firmware to dd-wrt) use file factory-to-ddwrt.bin and for all future dd-wrt to dd-wrt updates, take file tl-wr740nv5-webflash.bin
Use a LAN cable and Firefox with cache cleared.

After you flash to dd-wrt, wait 3 minutes at least, then do a regular reset. Wait at least 2-3 minutes every time after performing a flash, or after doing a reset, etc.

When done, please report your findings here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=284229

Thatoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
by regular reset, you mean that I should push the reset button at the back of the device for 10 seconde and let it do its stuff until it reboot, right?

Thank you for answering all my previous question.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thatoo wrote:
by regular reset, you mean that I should push the reset button at the back of the device for 10 seconds and let it do its stuff until it reboots, right?

That's right. If it works properly, it should ask you for a new WebGUI password after it reboots (you can, alternatively, use Restore to Factory Defaults from the WebGUI, they're supposed to be equivalent). Keep in mind that builds 27700-27745 have broken reset button and 27600 has broken SSH. That's why I recommended 27506.

Thatoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
noooooo.....

It works but I can't have VPN... everything is so complicated... and i miss this information in the middle of everything...
Now, I have installed EarthVPN with PPtP but they are telling me that it can't work because Iran is blocking PPtP... (and they think that's an obvious information I should have known...), so I check how to have openVPN (is Iran blocking it too, I don't know they didn't say, they speak about SSTP protocol) on my router... I can't because... I don't know exactly why... I'm desperate!

I'm trying to do good to make things change but this time, it's too hard.
GNU/Linux instead of Windows. Firefox OS instead of Android, a free router witha real VPN instead of Psiphon and other untrustworthy vpn... I spend three days of my life looking for the router advised in shopping malls, I asked questioned to make the flashing part successful, I looked for a trustworthy VPN and fight hard to manage to pay through Paypal (I finally had to ask an Indian friend who is just starting studying in USA to pay for me) and now, I receive this answer that everything was vain...

I'm exhausted, desperate and lost.

Does anyone have an idea, a good news???

Sorry if I annoy you with my personal problem but I feel bad right now. I was so confident and I was hopping to help my Iranian friend to finally find a comfortable solution (not too expensive neither, 20 dollars once and 40 dollars per year for VPN...)

PS : merci KrypteX, I wanted to thank you publicly as soon as I was successful but bad news came to cold my enthusiasm...
arnotixe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:01    Post subject: Works in Ecuador Reply with quote
Mine is a "WR740N(ES)" v5, as specified on the box. Bought in Ecuador, but who knows where it came from.

Procedure:

1) Unpacked and plugged in router.
2) Uploaded newest "factory-to-dd-wrt" firmware for v5

There was no step 3. Just worked Very Happy thanks ddwrt folks!
mahehe506
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 14:26    Post subject: 741 V5 Reply with quote
Hola a todos, tengo la siguiente duda ya he instlado el dd-wrt 26446 en un 740n v5 pero me servira para un 741nd v5 he leido que tienen la misma placa.

Hoy 21/09/15 He instalado el firmware 26446 al Tp-Link WR741ND V5 y me ha funcionado perfecto.

Hi all, I have the following questions and quickly install the dd-wrt 740N 26446 in v5 but I serve a v5 741nd I read with the same plate.

Today I 21/09/15 installed the firmware 26446 TP-Link WR741ND V5 and I have works perfect.

Last edited by mahehe506 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 20:17; edited 2 times in total
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
mahehe506 wrote:
Hi all, I have the following questions and quickly install the dd-wrt 740N 26446 in v5 but I serve a v5 741nd I read with the same plate.

If you surf Tp-Link web you will see the same firmware is used for both models, the answer will be you a re correct

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:44    Post subject: Adding a custom program to DDWRT Reply with quote
Hi,

I am trying to rebuild the ddwrt firmware with some custom modifications but unable to get it working using firmware modification kit and all associated posts i can get on google.

I need help to understand if there is any other set of tools which can help me extract and build the Firmware for TP-Link devices.

I am using WR740Nv5.

Quick help is much appreciated.
eljulian01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
edit: nevermind
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: