Wireless Repeater Bridge won't give full speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
EdinhoN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:39    Post subject: Wireless Repeater Bridge won't give full speed Reply with quote
I used to have 2 Asus RT N13U B1 routers, both operating Asus original firmware while one acted as the main gateway (connected direct to DSL modem) and other as repeater function (cloning all the settings from the main router automatically).
The original power AC cable (12 volts) from the repeater was broken and I swapped it with a China trashy power adapter (stated 12V but in fact released 22V in further tests after). Of course it destroyed my router and stopped working after 2~3 months.
Recently, I bought a brand new RT n13u B1 to put on the same spot acting as repeater but none of my configurations worked fine (I would get unstable connections, slowing down a lot my 10mbit connection or even dropping all clients time from time).
I've decided to change both routers functions and the older one didn't work fine either as a repeater. Then, I tried updating to Asus' most recent firmware which claims to have fixed most issues for wireless repeating.
Finally, i've installed DD-WRT and the connection hasn't been working properly in Wireless Repeater Bridge Mode (I just get 3~5mbit from 10mbit).
The weirdest thing is that in the sweet spot where the repeater is positioned at, the connection from the main router always top 10mbit but while connected to the repeater 1 feet away from it, the connection fluctuates between 3~5mbit.
What configuration can I try doing to solve that problem? I've even tried adjusting Tx Power to 71mW instead the default of 100mW.

It is driving me mad as the broken hardware used to work automatically with no complex settings adjustment. I even wonder if the new repeater may be faulty hardware. (Which I don't think being so much probable as it worked fine as a router).
Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Repeater modes give 1/2 the bandwidth. (its pure physics)...if you connect to the unit with an ethernet cable to the LAN port (essentially a Client Bridge)...then test again...you should then have your full bandwidth again.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do understand that. But this router is able to work on 300mbps, so my connection (checking Windows stats) is halved to 150mbps.
As my connection is really poor (only 10mbps) it never cared for the 3 years I've been using my broken Asus (I always had solid 10mbps connection).
You're right about the cable. It does give me 10mbps but I'd like to solve this on Wireless repeating (I know that is possible cause I always had 1.2~1.3 MB/s on Steam in my office which receives connection via repeater).
Perhaps it could be some wrong configuration that I've done? I've followed "Repeater Bridge" guide step by step on ddwrt website.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
What build do you have on them ?
Also please provide snapshots of your Basic and Wireless settings (including Advanced Wireless).

EdinhoN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
The main router on the living room is running Asus OFW 2.0.2.5o
The repeater is on the corridor leading to the room area (15m away, with some thick walls but signal gets at least 80% there) running DD WRT build 26446 for Asus RT-N13U B1
EdinhoN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just Posting the final screenshot
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
EdinhoN, I think redhawk0's comment still holds. Think of it this way, the 10M data are spreading across the 300M wifi signal that carries it. With repeating, only half can get through as half of the time is used for repeating. So effectively you get half of the data or 5M. I hope you get the idea!
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also want to see on the Repeater, snapshots of:
- Setup->Basic setup
- Setup->Advanced routing

EdinhoN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662
I know I'm not a pro on Wireless networks but I have my own experience on my previous router (exactly the same Asus model, not even the V1 variation). Anytime I would test It gave me 10mb. The major difference is that in that older asus firmware, there was only one SSID. When I bought this new repeater it came already with the new version of firmware which Asus separated SSIDs putting a xxxx_EXT on the repeater.
I don't know if having the same SSID (unifying both networks) would avoid losing the half of bandwidth but truth is that in the current repeater the connection is fluctuating between 3-10mb. Each speed test gives me different results on different portions of the day, while the main router is at 10mb all the time. (My ISP is reliable, giving 100% of what I pay).

KrypteX
I'm sending the screenshots that you've asked.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, make the following changes:

On the Main router (Host AP):
- channel bandwidth "40 MHz"
- uncheck "b/g protection"
- Apply. wait 1-2 minutes. Reboot Host Ap.

On Repeater Bridge with DD-WRT:
- Wireless -> Basic Settings -> "NG-Mixed". Save.
- Wireless -> Basic Settings -> Channel Width = "40 MHz". Save.
- Advanced Wireless Settings -> CTS Protection Mode = "Disable". Save.
- Security -> Firewall -> Disable all filters except Filter Multicast. Save.
- Security -> Firewall -> SPI Firewall: Disable. Save.
- check the Host AP's IP/Subnet Mask and make sure you set the same on the Repeater Bridge in Setup -> Basic setup -> Network setup -> Gateway/Subnet Mask (from your snapshot it's now set to 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0)
- Save. Apply. Wait 1-2 min for changes to take effect. Reboot Repeater Bridge.

js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I am so sorry for mis-information and I would like to take back what I said before. Although my F5D8235-4 v2's WAN and LAN ports are not functioning, the wifi part is still working and I can set it in repeater mode and I can confirm that it can get the full Internet throughput of ~14M from my ISP. Obviously, my understanding of the wifi theory is not deep enough. I will keep learning.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
@js1662
It's actually quite simple: when in Repeater mode (or Client+VAP for Atheros) the speed of the max Radio connection bandwidth is halved, and not the bandwidth of the ISP connection itself.
e.g. a N300-capable router will be able to transfer with half of that 300 bandwidth (theoretically).

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to add to KrypteX comment.

Wireless connection to the Repeater/Repeater Bridge is 1/2 Bandwidth of the Host AP (ISP) speed....true.

But if you connect via cable to the Repeater Bridge unit...the bandwidth is full.

It takes time for the repeater to get info from the host...then relay it to the wireless client...so that's two hops of wireless. Because its two hops...it takes twice the amount of time so the effective bandwidth is cut in half due to that extra time it takes to get the information to the client.

When connected via cable...you remove that second hop so the information is passed directly from wireless through the switch to the client. No second hop...so the bandwidth is essentially the same as the host AP (ISP) speed.

I hope it makes more sense.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for my late, it has been a busy week.
Luckily, my wireless network has been working just fine the whole week, but yesterday it started to fluctuate and even worse: the repeater disconnecting itself all the time.
I have mada some minor changes and it stabilized, problem is: it still stays between 3mbps and rarely going to 10 even though at the main gateway the speed is solid 10.
I'm starting to give up in all of that cause it is really annoying lol. Perhaps it is time to admit some kind of hardware fault in the repeater piece (but as router function works just fine).
Related to the bandwidth, it does cut by the half but as my town has only slow speeds offers, the 10mbps stay far away from the 150mbps limit from the repeating bridge.
Any further settings to adjust?

NOW THE MAIN QUESTION: Before my older repeater breaking (same Asus RTN13) everything used to work just fine with automatic configurations. I just plugged main router and performed the web gui installation and it started to work just fine. After that i would go to the repeater and set it with official asus firmware, which used to clone all the settings automatically. One just needed to type the password and voila.
Isn't it better for me to return this repeater and try with a new one? Perhaps same Asus N13?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: