Atheros vs Ralink CPU - which is faster @ same clock speed ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:52    Post subject: Atheros vs Ralink CPU - which is faster @ same clock speed ? Reply with quote
I would like to know which router processor brand is performing faster, Atheros or Ralink, given the same clock speed of 400 MHz.

I know I'm trying to compare apples and oranges here, but I'd like to know which one performs better (from a CPU point of view) and why:

TP-Link TL-WR841ND 7.x
Atheros AR7241 @ 400MHz, 32MB RAM, 4MB flash, b/g/n 2x2:2

or
D-Link DIR-615 H1
Ralink RT3352F @ 400MHz, 32MB RAM, 4MB flash, b/g/n 2x2:2

Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can find a brief specification on RT3352, see https://wikidevi.com/files/Ralink/RT3352%20product%20brief.pdf but I can't find much on AR7241 except that it also use the same CPU core MIPS 24Kc as RT3352. RT3352 has 32K i-cache and 16K d-cache but I have no idea on AR7241. Not much information, hope it helps!

Edit: Looks like RT3352 use MIPS 24KEc vs AR7241 is MIPS 24Kc, so they are not exactly the same after all. Some info of 24KEc for your reference: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/MIPS_24KEc
mittelhessen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24    Post subject: Re: Atheros vs Ralink CPU - which is faster @ same clock spe Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:

from a CPU point of view

What is a "CPU point of view"? I think the speed depends on the application for which you'll make a comparsion. You know the the clock speed isn't the only parameter which creates speed. So in every cpu-comparsion there will be different benchmarks.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
performance should be identical, the ralink should be slightly nudged ahead cause of its few extra instruction support assuming ddwrt has any use for them

neither are exactly "high performance" though..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:24    Post subject: Re: Atheros vs Ralink CPU - which is faster @ same clock spe Reply with quote
mittelhessen wrote:
What is a "CPU point of view"? I think the speed depends on the application for which you'll make a comparsion. You know the the clock speed isn't the only parameter which creates speed. So in every cpu-comparsion there will be different benchmarks.

The router would be used for relatively heavy torrenting, so I guess I'm looking for the faster CPU for WAN-to-LAN NAT.
I was leaning toward the Atheros CPU, but now that tatsuya46 said Ralink has more instructions, I have no clue.

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
torrenting difference will be nil to notice, pick based on other parts of the router & how good the software is on it (ath9k etc) will make a much bigger inpact on user exp

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: