Wireless Repeater without roaming

rbrady
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Wireless Repeater without roaming Reply with quote
Hello,

I am having an issue where all AP's in my building have the same SSID but are located very close together so signal strength is very similar.

On Windows I can just change the wifi roaming policy, but on OS X there is no way to reliably accomplish this. The WiFi card will just hop AP's every minute or so, taking more time to negotiate the connection than time you are actually connected to a single AP.

I do not have access to the AP's in the building to modify TX settings.

I was thinking about repurposing an old linksys with dd-wrt and setting it up as a wireless repeater. My question is, is there a way to tie it to a specific BSSID or turn off source roaming in DD WRT as a repeater or will I just be experiencing the same issue with an additional hop (e.g. will DD WRT also constantly hop AP's due to the terrible setup here).
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 17:16    Post subject: Re: Wireless Repeater without roaming Reply with quote
rbrady wrote:
I am having an issue where all AP's in my building have the same SSID

This is not the proper way to set up repeaters. See the wiki: Linking routers Also look into whether you can use WDS.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
rbrady
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to the AP's as it's an apartment complex and the WiFi is run by the management company. There are multiple AP's with the same SSID in a narrow but tall building. All AP's are within a few feet of each other, which is causing the issue. They aren't willing to accept my advice on network setup so I was hoping to find a work around. I was thinking I could create a separate SSID for me to use and have that repeat the buildings WiFi signal.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a repeater, you can set up a unique ssid. See the wiki: linking routers.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

As far as I understand, he would like his own Linksys router, in Client mode, to lock on a certain router (out of the many with same SSID in that office). He wouldn't like it to hop from router-to-router.

I'd also like to know how one can achieve this.

Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

As far as I understand, he would like his own Linksys router, in Client mode, to lock on a certain router (out of the many with same SSID in that office). He wouldn't like it to hop from router-to-router.

I'd also like to know how one can achieve this.

I don't think that is what is being asked about, but what you are suggesting might be done with mac filtering and/or whitelisting. Both are discussed in the wiki iirc.

Repeater does consistently scan for the ssid, but it might not hop the same way as a wireless card does. Experimentation is required.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: